Briefing Cadets on military life.

Started by Flying Pig, August 12, 2009, 04:10:56 PM

Flying Pig

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/08/11/texas.soldier.arrested/index.html

http://militarytimes.com/static/projects/pages/ngic_gangs.pdf

http://www.thecommentfactory.com/irregular-army-the-rise-of-gangs-in-the-us-military-2297

Something I am planning on starting with the cadets who decide to go off to the military.  Some, fortunately or unfortunately, believe that in the military all is good and noble.  Those of us who have served, or have lived life a while know this to not be the case anywhere.  Here are a couple of recent articles, obviously extreme, but still life.  Many of you will find the Intelligence Briefing interesting.  A CID Agent I have spoken with has stated that their investigations regarding service members involved in gangs and drugs are on a sharp rise.
For those of you who specifically have served in the military know the gang culture is alive and well.  One of my biggest disappointments when I joined the Marines was finding out that there was a criminal element alive and well in the Marines.  People like that tend to draw to each other like magnets regardless of where they are. Car thefts on base, seeing service members off duty who were obviously strutting their colors and flashing signs at each other.  All there.
In many of our squadrons, mine included, we have cadets who have come to CAP to either escape that culture or the get out of it, looking at a future in the military.  I think its important that they dont join with the misconception that the front gates of Camp Lejeune are the Pearly Gates of Heaven.
In one of the articles I posted, a mother, whos son had been killed in an on-base gang initiation, commented that they had no idea there were gang members in the military.  She said if they had known, they would have warned her son what to look out for.
Having our cadets head off into the military with blinders on isnt a good idea.  Now, the entire 8 yrs I was in, I never had any personal issues with gang members, but I knew who they were and had to deal with some disciplinary problems when I moved up to Corporal and Sgt.  I know of one Platoon where an E-3 had more-or-less started a small gang in his platoon, and the members of the platoon wold only do what the E-3 said, not the Sgt.  It took a little while for the Sgt to figure out what was going on because he was not familiar with that culture.  When it was discovered, it was dealt with swiftly by NCIS and the MP's.
Additionally, for those who have cadets in their units who may exhibit some of this activity, it can be highly contageous.  Knowing what to look for is the key.  Even things as subtle as how cadets may be wearing their uniforms a certain way or wearing their flight caps, etc. that might be overlooked as a uniform inspection/Flight Sgt issue.  Obviously, the totality of the circumstances.  Im not suggesting that because cadets are wearing their flight caps cocked to the side means they are in a gang.
What I have suggested in the past is two fold.  Having a local law enforcement officer come and do a presentation about local issues accomplishes two things.  One, it gives expert advice, and can also serve as a career night as well, and two, if you have cadets in your unit who may be involved, you as the Senior Member do not look like you are targeting them.  Because often, the gang culture can be a family affair.  Mom and dad dont necessarily want junior to be a gang member, but they dont want you bad mouthing their lifestyle either.  Let the cop be the bad guy.  A lot of these gang issues are ethnicity based, so if people are sensitive to that, depending on where you are, it may sound like the officer is slamming a particular race or neighborhood. It can keep you out of the loop in that regard.
Maybe your unit is in an area where this idea sounds completely out of place.  But for those cadets who are headed out the military, they can have a harsh awakening.

Jill

Robert,

I just finished reading your post.  I printed it out and am walking it over to a co-worker who is also a Marine and will be interested in your information.

What a great idea to inform the Cadets of gang activity in the military.

Jill

Cleaver

I sure wish you had entered your post a year ago!!  My son, and a former CAP cadet, enlisted in the Marines this year.  He had very noble and high ideals.  I don't think he has directly encountered gang activity but he is VERY disappointed in the caliber of many of his fellow enlistees.  He really took the core values seriously but many of his fellow Marines don't.  I'm sure he would still have enlisted even if he had read this post, but he would certainly have been more prepared for what he found.   Please follow through with your cadets.  I think it is important to bring some reality to their decisions.

Stonewall

My biggest eye-opening experience when I showed up to Army Basic Training was learning that I was one of a few people who actually planned to join the Army, especially as a grunt (Infantry).  It was me and maybe 5 others in my platoon of about 30 or 40 recruits that were either in CAP, JROTC or simply dreamed of serving like I did.  Like Flying Pig said, there were losers from all walks of life who were there for a variety of reasons.  "Army or Jail" comes to mine as well as broken homes and no where else to go...a last ditch effort to stay out of jail.

I was very disappointed, but made the best of it.  I volunteered for a special unit where a higher ASVAB score was required as well as a clean background.  Still, there was obvious racisim, division between races, crime, drugs, fights and moments where you had to watch your back.  I imagine that today, since 9/11 with the lowering of standards to bring in more recruits that it's even worse.

Just my $.02 based on years of experience.
Serving since 1987.

Airrace

jb512

That certainly hasn't changed.  I would say that the Air Force is a little more picky about the past history of its enlistees from what I saw but the Army is having a tough time.  When I went through MEPS last year I overheard one shabbily dressed kid telling another about the waiver he got for his felony so he could get into the Army.