Cadet Observers

Started by Flying Pig, August 07, 2009, 08:06:19 PM

coolkites

Quote from: Eclipse on August 08, 2009, 06:01:47 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on August 08, 2009, 05:38:39 AMThere are just so many training sorties to be had...and if you give up a training sortie to a cadet who can't be used on a real mission my put a whole in you available trained observers.

A unit could very easily separate senior MO training from cadet MO training, and schedule more sorties.  If you're going to have cadet MO's, they'll have to be MS' first.  I wouldn't have an issue with that, either. In fact, that's a much better use for a 99 ride than just sitting quietly.

If you're using the monthly AFAMs as intended, the potential for training sorties is only limited by your time and gas money.

Something like this would be a natural for AE grants and similar donations.

On all of my recent 99 rides (several) I have practiced taking photos of a set target(s). not the same as a observer but still

Rotorhead

Quote from: coolkites on August 23, 2009, 01:51:01 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on August 08, 2009, 06:01:47 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on August 08, 2009, 05:38:39 AMThere are just so many training sorties to be had...and if you give up a training sortie to a cadet who can't be used on a real mission my put a whole in you available trained observers.

A unit could very easily separate senior MO training from cadet MO training, and schedule more sorties.  If you're going to have cadet MO's, they'll have to be MS' first.  I wouldn't have an issue with that, either. In fact, that's a much better use for a 99 ride than just sitting quietly.

If you're using the monthly AFAMs as intended, the potential for training sorties is only limited by your time and gas money.

Something like this would be a natural for AE grants and similar donations.

On all of my recent 99 rides (several) I have practiced taking photos of a set target(s). not the same as a observer but still
Not even close to the Observer quals.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

Pingree1492

Back WIWAC I was one of those that were 18 and walking around with Observer Wings.  Because I was motivated, and because I'm in a great squadron, I was able to complete my MS & MO training in 6 months.  And, as luck would have it, I was able to go to my first SAREX a couple days after my 18th birthday as an MS trainee (and we actually spotted a wildfire on that sortie, and called in the slurry bomber guy that was sitting on the ramp at our airport  8))

Like others have said, my training was pretty much like other senior members- just run your prospective cadet through the same Ground/Air Training that they would need as a senior.

Just remember that all training you do, but ESPECIALLY the air training, must take place after the 18th birthday. And, yes I was able to participate in actual air missions as a cadet. 

Did the fact that I was a qualified aircrew member factor into my decision to transition to active senior?  You betcha!! It's probably THE reason I stayed in that first year as a senior (after turning 21), before I got back involved in the Cadet Program.  So, if you can get your cadet into the air in training and actual missions, its definitely worth it.

Also, just something that I noticed, it was a lot easier for other seniors who didn't know me personally throughout the wing to accept me as a qualified aircrew member as a cadet if I was wearing a flight suit as opposed to any other uniform.  So I would recommend that if the cadet it serious about flying, that as soon as he/she becomes qualified that they find themselves a flight suit.  Don't know exactly why this was, and YMMV, but this was just my experience.
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)