Main Menu

Specialty tracks

Started by seniormember1976, August 01, 2009, 03:16:32 AM

Rotorhead

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 02, 2009, 08:12:14 PM
Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on August 02, 2009, 02:20:48 PM...there's nothing in a CAP regulation that says anyone has to do anything on a weekend!

I think a commander that forbids weekend training sessions to pursue their own priorities needs to be replaced. A commander does not have to be present at every single function the squadron has, just needs a competent person to be in charge of it.
It has been my experience that a leader of a volunteer organization who acts as described would be far too insecure to allow someone else to "run" an event at which she/he was not present.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

Rotorhead

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 02, 2009, 08:12:14 PM
Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on August 02, 2009, 02:20:48 PM...there's nothing in a CAP regulation that says anyone has to do anything on a weekend!
Sure, volunteers don't get paid, but then again, no one gets paid to play high school football either.

I am so tired of hearing the "But I'm a volunteer" rationale for not following the regs or wanting special treatment that I now have to restrain myself from physical violence when I hear it again.

My new stance is that anyone who attempts to justify anything with that excuse should be 2b'd instantly.

I'd rather have five committed members than 25 who say that they can do what they want the way they want because they are volunteers.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott, AZ

Eclipse

Quote from: Rotorhead on August 03, 2009, 09:10:16 PM
I'd rather have five committed members than 25 who say that they can do what they want the way they want because they are volunteers.

+10

CAP's #1 priority should be to do whatever it takes to quash the "You're lucky I showed up at all..." mentality.  Those of us who are holding up the table leg on this little tea party are tired of hearing it.

If that means 30% attrition, so be it.  We'll all be better off for it, and the "new guys" that replace the 30% won't have those issues because expectations will be set properly from day 1.

"That Others May Zoom"

Lt Oliv

Quote from: Eclipse on August 03, 2009, 10:06:22 PM
Quote from: Rotorhead on August 03, 2009, 09:10:16 PM

+10

CAP's #1 priority should be to do whatever it takes to quash the "You're lucky I showed up at all..." mentality.  Those of us who are holding up the table leg on this little tea party are tired of hearing it.

If that means 30% attrition, so be it.  We'll all be better off for it, and the "new guys" that replace the 30% won't have those issues because expectations will be set properly from day 1.

I agree.

25 whiners don't accomplish all that much.  They just take up space.

5 committed members who want to get the job done, I'd take it any day.

seniormember1976

It's really great to hear that other people feel that "it's a volunteer organization" is a bad attitude to have.  We have heard that attitude from day one in our squadron.  Started to feel like we were maybe weird or something for thinking we have to put effort in, not only for ourselves but our cadets as well.  I do want to say that I really appreciate all the advice and opinions that I have read from everyone.

Rotorhead

Quote from: seniormember1976 on August 09, 2009, 12:27:12 AM
It's really great to hear that other people feel that "it's a volunteer organization" is a bad attitude to have.  We have heard that attitude from day one in our squadron. 

As I said, you ought to find a  new squadron.

They're not all the way you describe. If they were, i wouldn't be a member of CAP.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott, AZ