Class B minimum requirements

Started by StopLoss, July 23, 2009, 01:16:58 AM

Al Sayre

FWIW, I was taught that "Deltas"were "Organizational clothing" such as cooks whites, mechanics coveralls, corpsman's scrubs, etc.

That having been said, I tend to agree that we should call them by thier proper name to avoid confusion.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Lt Domke on August 11, 2009, 04:55:21 AM
A=Service Coat
B=Short/Long Sleeve w/o Coat
C=Utilities ie BDU's
D=No clue

WIWAC, our squadron used those designators, but it broke down like this:

A = Blues w/ Service Coat
B = Blues w/ Tie (short or long sleeve)
C = Blues w/o Tie

We didn't have Class D, we just called the BDUs, BDUs.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Thom

We've now had at least 4 different explanations of what Uniform A, B, C, and D are.  We've also seen that they are in no way documented for everyone nationally in a standard CAP reference or publication.

And, people still think it's stupid when I explain how we came to have NIMS and ICS so that we could share a common language at emergency/disaster/incident scenes...

Thom Hamilton

MIKE

Here we go.  Class D: http://www.hardscrabblefarm.com/ww2/uniform%20classes.htm

Part of CAPs modification of this probably comes more from the Marine nomenclature however. i.e service "C".

Mike Johnston

Eclipse

Note the requirement with class "D" to button the top button and wear your grandmother's gardening hat

"That Others May Zoom"

Spike

I bet everyone knows what "Class Six" is though!

brasda91

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 11, 2009, 11:56:54 AM

WIWAC, our squadron used those designators, but it broke down like this:

A = Blues w/ Service Coat
B = Blues w/ Tie (short or long sleeve)
C = Blues w/o Tie

We didn't have Class D, we just called the BDUs, BDUs.

That's how our squadron labeled them in the late 80's
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

AlphaSigOU

Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

majdomke

Gunner C

Quote from: Spike on August 11, 2009, 04:20:11 PM
I bet everyone knows what "Class Six" is though!
I'll bet ya don't.  :)

Gunner C

WIWAC back 67-71, USAF (and CAP IIRC) had uniform combinations.  Combination 1 wasn't used (I believe it refered to a then-obsolete uniform).  Combination 2 was dress blues.  Combination 3 was 1505s or 505s.  Combination 4 may have been the old blue shirt w/tie that matched the pants (hazy on that).  I'm not sure if there was a combination 5.

Returning to uniform combinations IMO would be useful.

SarDragon

From the 1968 CAPM 39-1:

Combination 1: Lightweight and heavyweight blue service uniform

Combination 2: Heavyweight blue service uniform with blue flannel shirt

Combination 3: Heavyweight blue service trousers with blue flannel shirt and lightweight blue wool/polyester service trousers with blue wool/polyester shirt

Combination 4: Tan service uniform

Combination 5: Tan service shirt with bernuda shorts

Combination 6: The lightweight and heavyweight blue service uniforms may be worn with white shirt and black bow tie as a semiformal dress uniform
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

flyguy06

Can someone please cite for me where in CAPM 39-1 it describes a "class B" uniform?

Major Carrales

Quote from: flyguy06 on August 12, 2009, 07:53:50 AM
Can someone please cite for me where in CAPM 39-1 it describes a "class B" uniform?

The same place the "green weenie," "wheel caps," "zoom bags" and other such terminology that are commonly used in CAP are.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Eclipse

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 12, 2009, 03:35:16 PM
Quote from: flyguy06 on August 12, 2009, 07:53:50 AM

The same place the "green weenie," "wheel caps," "zoom bags" and other such terminology that are commonly used in CAP are.

Let's not forget the oft-denigrated term "cover" for your hat, which is mostly a term from the Navy and
gets some people off their tree when you use it.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 12, 2009, 03:35:16 PMThe same place the "green weenie," "wheel caps," "zoom bags" and other such terminology that are commonly used in CAP are.

Only one of those terms is even unique to CAP. The "green weenie" I've actually only ever seen used on boards. I've never heard it spoken, seen it written, or in any way referenced on anything other than Captalk or Cadetstuff.

"Wheel cap" probably predates CAP. I've heard it referenced a few times by members of almost every branch of service. I've heard it called a "bus driver hat" more often than "wheel cap". Amusing in a way, considering that most cadets have probably never seen a bus driver wearing one.

"Zoom bag" was also not commonly referenced in the Air Force, most times I've heard it, it was used in a derogatory manner. Same thing with "green bag". Then again, I wasn't aviation in the Air Force.

"Class B" as a specific terminology is typically Army. The Marines use similar terms such as "Dress B", or "Service A", although I've heard them termed as "bravos" or "alphas" before.

Either way, it's best to teach and stick with terms that we have listed in published regulations. We do that, and noone can ever say that they can't find the terms. It keeps things far simpler. We have enough problems as it is communicating with each other, there's really no reason to compound that.

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on August 12, 2009, 04:47:30 PMLet's not forget the oft-denigrated term "cover" for your hat, which is mostly a term from the Navy and gets some people off their tree when you use it.

I don't get up in arms about that one, I just don't see the point. Why not just call it a "hat" or a "cap". It's easier and everyone knows exactly what you're talking about when you say that. Not so with "cover".

The one that does annoy me is "blouse" when referring to a BDU shirt. It doesn't come from within CAP at all. Why use it?

Eclipse

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 12, 2009, 05:18:26 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on August 12, 2009, 04:47:30 PMLet's not forget the oft-denigrated term "cover" for your hat, which is mostly a term from the Navy and gets some people off their tree when you use it.

I don't get up in arms about that one, I just don't see the point. Why not just call it a "hat" or a "cap". It's easier and everyone knows exactly what you're talking about when you say that. Not so with "cover".

For one thing, "when in Rome, do as the Romans do".  If for example, you have a majority of your activities on a Navy base, their terminology tends to creep into your lexicon.  Since we tend to gather members from all the uniformed services, as well as the PD and FD, this kind of "newspeak" is just natural.

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 12, 2009, 05:18:26 PM
The one that does annoy me is "blouse" when referring to a BDU shirt. It doesn't come from within CAP at all. Why use it?
Actually, the BDU "shirt" is a "coat" per the label, so which is more confusing to the average civilian?

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on August 12, 2009, 05:37:07 PMActually, the BDU "shirt" is a "coat" per the label, so which is more confusing to the average civilian?

Good point. The manual uses the term "BDU shirt" when it comes to what goes on it, so that's what I go with. I don't know anyone that wouldn't know what "shirt" means.

I can understand, to a point, if local environment terminology might get used to explain to the "locals" what you mean. But how is it justified if there are no Navy or Marine corps personnel within hundreds of miles of you, and you don't interact with them?

Eclipse

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 12, 2009, 06:03:15 PM
I can understand, to a point, if local environment terminology might get used to explain to the "locals" what you mean. But how is it justified if there are no Navy or Marine corps personnel within hundreds of miles of you, and you don't interact with them?

I suppose it doesn't - but at some point it simply is, what it is, and we should all get over it.

People using an incorrect term, especially one that create confusion, should be actively corrected, but if they persist, whatever.

The class-A,B,C thing is a problem because no one really knows what it means - Class A, sure, B, maybe.  I have no idea by C (and only a vague, disturbing, image of "6").

Common use terms like "cover" "blouse" aren't unique to CAP, Google them, its all over, and if you tell someone to put on their "cover", or button their blouse, odds are there won't be much, if any confusion.

"That Others May Zoom"