Naval Work Uniform approved for off-base wear

Started by Eclipse, June 29, 2009, 06:05:31 AM

SarDragon

Quote from: Al Sayre on June 29, 2009, 08:33:05 PM
Quote from: DBlair on June 29, 2009, 07:15:53 PM
Wow... can the Navy possibly try to copy the Marine Corps uniforms any further? I'm not trying to take any shots at the Navy, but this is an obvious attempt to copy the Marines.

FWIW the Marine Corps is part of the Navy...

Though probably said tongue-in-cheek, I must still disagree.

The Marine Corps is a part of the Department of the Navy, as is the Navy, as equals at the same echelon.

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

Quote from: DBlair on June 29, 2009, 09:25:04 PM
Quote from: DC on June 29, 2009, 08:14:51 PM
Wow... can the Navy possibly try to copy the Marine Corps uniforms any further? I'm not trying to take any shots at the Navy, but this is an obvious attempt to copy the Marines.
How so, other than the digital pattern, which the Army and Air Force are also now using. The cut of the uniform is similar to BDUs, without the slanted pockets or other features of the MARPAT uniforms.

The utilities are a copy in many ways such as style of the digital pattern (much closer to the MC than the other branches), the 8 point cover, and the Navy logo on the pocket where the Marines have the EGA. The service uniform is the exact Marine uniform, but with black instead of OD green.

Copying aside, I think the Navy should have stayed with the all-khaki (trousers & shirt) service uniform- or maybe just have gone with a black trouser/white shirt uniform which would be in line with their class A service coat, unless they changed that too. Likewise, they could have just stayed with the blue BDU utility uniform.

You should probably review your USN uniform history.

Khakis are reserved for E-7 and above. The new service uniform is for E-6 and below.

The white shirt, Navy blue trousers combination is history, and went away years ago.

The Navy doesn't have a "class" designation, so your reference is in error at the outset. As for the coat you refer to, that is another E-7 and above combination.

The Navy has never worn the BBDU uniform that CAP wears. The olde working uniform has some color similarities, but there are many differences between the two.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JohnKachenmeister

Yes, the Marines are a department of the Navy...

The MEN'S Department!
Another former CAP officer

Flying Pig

Yeah, you have to do a double take.  They look like Marines in their Charlies.  Well, except for the gut and the double chin.

DBlair

Quote from: SarDragon on June 30, 2009, 12:26:45 AM
How so, other than the digital pattern, which the Army and Air Force are also now using. The cut of the uniform is similar to BDUs, without the slanted pockets or other features of the MARPAT uniforms.

The utilities are a copy in many ways such as style of the digital pattern (much closer to the MC than the other branches), the 8 point cover, and the Navy logo on the pocket where the Marines have the EGA. The service uniform is the exact Marine uniform, but with black instead of OD green.

Copying aside, I think the Navy should have stayed with the all-khaki (trousers & shirt) service uniform- or maybe just have gone with a black trouser/white shirt uniform which would be in line with their class A service coat, unless they changed that too. Likewise, they could have just stayed with the blue BDU utility uniform.

You should probably review your USN uniform history.

Khakis are reserved for E-7 and above. The new service uniform is for E-6 and below.

The white shirt, Navy blue trousers combination is history, and went away years ago.

The Navy doesn't have a "class" designation, so your reference is in error at the outset. As for the coat you refer to, that is another E-7 and above combination.

The Navy has never worn the BBDU uniform that CAP wears. The olde working uniform has some color similarities, but there are many differences between the two.

Please excuse my lack of fluency with Navy uniforms. I remember there being a navy blue utility uniform of sorts (like what the CG wears) and so that is the BBDU I was thinking of. Likewise, I didn't realize that the khakis or the uniform combination with the service coat were reserved for E7 and above, but I still think they would be a better choice than the black/khaki combination.

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on June 30, 2009, 12:30:12 AM

Yes, the Marines are a department of the Navy...

The MEN'S Department!

Oooh-rah!

Quote from: Flying Pig on June 30, 2009, 01:11:17 AM

Yeah, you have to do a double take.  They look like Marines in their Charlies.  Well, except for the gut and the double chin.

LOL
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

wuzafuzz

Seabees have been wearing Marine Corps style utilities since the '80's at least, including the multipoint cover (I haven't counted).  The Navy Shore Patrol folks too, at least at the bases I worked at. 
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Hawk200

Quote from: wuzafuzz on June 30, 2009, 01:38:38 AMSeabees have been wearing Marine Corps style utilities since the '80's at least, including the multipoint cover (I haven't counted).

I believe it's an eight point. That pointed cover is worn by both the Navy and the Corps. The Air Force keeps trying to adopt it due to someone in CENTCOM liking it, but it's been a non-starter.

Eclipse

yes, eight, with a screen-printed insignia.

I'd have no issues wearing it, at least we'd get rid of the dog bowls and they would stand up themselves without the scaffolding some cadets use.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on June 30, 2009, 02:17:53 AM
I'd have no issues wearing it, at least we'd get rid of the dog bowls and they would stand up themselves without the scaffolding some cadets use.

Doesn't really need to stand all that straight. As long as it doesn't look like you slept on it, it's probably fine. Wet it, shape it, you're done. It's part of a utility uniform, doesn't need to be fancy.

PHall

Quote from: Hawk200 on June 30, 2009, 02:39:36 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 30, 2009, 02:17:53 AM

Doesn't really need to stand all that straight. As long as it doesn't look like you slept on it, it's probably fine. Wet it, shape it, you're done. It's part of a utility uniform, doesn't need to be fancy.

Try telling that to most cadets. They seem to have the impression that the cover must be stiff enough to stand on it's own and deflect bullets!

Hawk200

Quote from: PHall on June 30, 2009, 04:48:11 AMTry telling that to most cadets. They seem to have the impression that the cover must be stiff enough to stand on it's own and deflect bullets!

Yeah, cadets seem to make up a lot of so-called "required" things. Starched hats, only cadet staff can wear black T-shirts, and boots aren't polished enough if you can't shave in them are a few of my favorite myths.

I get a kick out of the "I'm a volunteer!" mentality, and then the expectation to comply with things that the Air Force doesn't even do. (Yes, I know, there's gonna be an inevitable "We're not the Air Force!" response. I know. Move on.)

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on June 30, 2009, 02:17:53 AMyes, eight, with a screen-printed insignia.

Or not. They are available w/o the EGA, for USN use.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jb512

I remember a Marine Gunny when I was a young cadet who showed me how they shaped their hats.  He put the 8 point metal shaper in it, cranked it out till it was tight, soaked the hat in starch, then hung it over the drier door by 550 cord and hit the high heat.  Awesome results.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: PHall on June 30, 2009, 04:48:11 AMTry telling that to most cadets. They seem to have the impression that the cover must be stiff enough to stand on it's own and deflect bullets!

They eat up that Fidel Castro Ridgeway hat look... dunk the patrol cap in pure Sta-Flo, let shrink, press... et voilá;D

Given half a chance, they'd starch the snot outta BDUs and sew down their pockets!  ;) :D ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Bobble

QuotePlease excuse my lack of fluency with Navy uniforms. I remember there being a navy blue utility uniform of sorts (like what the CG wears) and so that is the BBDU I was thinking of.

That was actually a really nice enlisted work uniform worn during the 70's which, back in the day, was commonly referred to as simply the "utility" uniform.  Chambrey shirts (w/ patch pockets sewn on w/ 5 lb. test fishing line) and dungarees were phased out during that time.  The dark blue pants had no thigh cargo pockets, but were well made. It was worn with a SWAT-style dark blue cover. the bill of which was not supposed to be folded or creased, but usually was anyway, as this was the Zumwalt era.  Ballcaps, embroidered or otherwise, were not worn. The hat used pin-on crows for E-4 and above, but if you weren't careful, the fasteners would leave scars on your forehead if you didn't duck far enough while running to your GQ station and going through a hatch. The only problem was the shirt (which used embroidered sleeve patches).  It was a shade of blue a bit lighter than the pants, but it was made from 100% polyester if I remember correctly.  When exposed to high heat (i.e., fire). the material would melt into bubbling plastic goo (all over your skin).  Not a good thing to wear on board ship when, should a fire occur, there usually isn't any place to run away to.

Overall, it was very practical and the dark colors hid grease and oil stains well.

Hey, I think I messed up that whole quote thing!  Oh well. [Fixed and posts merged. - MIKE]
R. Litzke, Capt, CAP
NER-NY-153

"Men WILL wear underpants."

DBlair

Quote from: SarDragon on June 30, 2009, 05:40:31 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 30, 2009, 02:17:53 AMyes, eight, with a screen-printed insignia.

As you are a Navy vet, perhaps you could answer this question. I've always wondered if the 8 point cover was allowed just for certain Navy units or whether it was approved for Navy-wide use. While mostly Marines wear this cover, I've seen some Sailors also wear it and was curious what the specifics were as to wear regulations.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Eclipse

Quote from: jaybird512 on June 30, 2009, 06:16:21 AM
I remember a Marine Gunny when I was a young cadet who showed me how they shaped their hats.  He put the 8 point metal shaper in it, cranked it out till it was tight, soaked the hat in starch, then hung it over the drier door by 550 cord and hit the high heat.  Awesome results.

They sell those at the NAVEx at Great Lakes, every time I see one I wish they had them for regular hats as well.

I also like how the Navy guys stow their covers in the roll of their sleeves on hot days.

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Eclipse on June 30, 2009, 03:21:14 PM
Quote from: jaybird512 on June 30, 2009, 06:16:21 AM

They sell those at the NAVEx at Great Lakes, every time I see one I wish they had them for regular hats as well.

I also like how the Navy guys stow their covers in the roll of their sleeves on hot days.

I have a hat shaper for the BDU cap.  It's just a circular shaped piece of metal, about 8 inches tall with some adjuster screws.  Our friends at Vanguard even sell them...

http://www.vanguardmil.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5340
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

^ I just placed an order yesterday !@#$%.

Looks like I could do the same thing with some furnace duct...

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: DBlair on June 30, 2009, 03:05:39 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on June 30, 2009, 05:40:31 AM

As you are a Navy vet, perhaps you could answer this question. I've always wondered if the 8 point cover was allowed just for certain Navy units or whether it was approved for Navy-wide use. While mostly Marines wear this cover, I've seen some Sailors also wear it and was curious what the specifics were as to wear regulations.

The 8-point cover is for wear with the BDU/MARPAT uniforms. Only those folks assigned to specific units wear that uniform. This includes Fleet Marine Force (specifically Corpsmen), SeaBees, and SEAL/UDT. There may be others.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret