Main Menu

Cadet Recruiting

Started by BillB, June 21, 2009, 11:53:17 AM

BillB

This is the time of year when Squadrons should start planning recruiting activites for the Fall. Sure many cadets in your Squadron are attending Encampments or Special ASctivities, but that shouldn't stop planning. In 2002 National produced a CD that would run as a DVD on most laptops. It was entitled "Where Imagination Takes Flight". It was ideal to use at a recruiting tablein schools or aviation activities such as air shows. It ran 10 minutes or so then repeated for a second run. It won't run on modern laptops due to color settings. Florida Wing produced a recruiting program called "Project Boot" It produced a 22% growth over same period previous year. It was adopted by Southeast Region and produced an average of 18% growth throughout the region (MS brought the average down) Project Boot was revised as late as 2006, but still needs revision since parts are no longer applicable.
But Squadrons need to start now on recruiting plans that can be accomplished locally. Recruiting efforts are needed to offset the drop in cadet membership nationally.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Chief2009

Where are the resources for Project Boot? I couldn't find them on Florida Wing's or SER's website.

DN
"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284

notaNCO forever

I just started working on an open house for this fall. Last year my squadron had a open house ,and we got a good number of cadets. Over the past year we've actually had a good amount of cadets coming in and a low dropout rate. 

snowman

As a cadet I have one piece of advice I can give for cadet recruiting. Get them hooked! Usually the only way to retain a new cadet is to have an activity within their first 2 meetings. Be it O-rides, a spin on a flight-sim (these 2 seem to work the best), or you could have an interesting class like an ELT practice class where they could look for a practice ELT, or even just building a model rocket. The first few meetings are the hardest, but this will greatly improve your chances.