Belligerent? What is this Certificate and why does it mention CAP?

Started by Major Carrales, June 12, 2009, 01:26:24 AM

alamrcn

Quote...if we ever again fight a civilized enemy.

Not someone from, say... Still in the 2nd Centrury?  ;D

I really like the certificate, thanks for posting it. What's that date near the lower-left corner, 1948? The certificate looks newer than that for some reason.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

ol'fido

Could it be something requested for reasons of not being categorized as someone who avoided military service during the war even though the bearers didn't serve in the regular armed forces? Kind of like the "ruptured duck" pin/patch given to discharged veterans.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

JohnKachenmeister

It probably was not requested, but simply a way of recognizing the service of persons who were not regularly enlisted nor conscripted, but still served in combat.

At the very least it would document which CAP members saw action, should the discussion of veterans' status move from this board to an official forum.
Another former CAP officer

Gunner C

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on June 13, 2009, 02:43:10 AM
It probably was not requested, but simply a way of recognizing the service of persons who were not regularly enlisted nor conscripted, but still served in combat.

At the very least it would document which CAP members saw action, should the discussion of veterans' status move from this board to an official forum.
I think it's exactly that - there was no other way to recognize CAP combat vets, so they gave them these. I saw one of those about 30 years ago.  A squadron mate had it up on the wall along with his air medal certificate.

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: Major Lord on June 12, 2009, 03:06:25 AM
I don't think that CAP would be given status as a "Belligerent" in our current incarnation
Major Lord

Well, maybe on a 2B...
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven: