PAO CAP "Good News" Video Submitted to Local TV News Media?

Started by RADIOMAN015, June 07, 2009, 04:38:54 PM

RADIOMAN015

Interesting, relatively recently I was talking to one of the weekend news producers for one of our local TV stations.

Basically, our discussion centered around how many times "bad news" items (e.g. stabbings, rapes, gunshots, etc) get played on the news, versus "good news" type items (including CAP activities).

He basically told me that overall viewers like to see those bad news items, and at times they had a limited camera/on scene reporting crew, so really couldn't cover ever newsworthy item.

What was interesting is that he said the station would consider running video that we in CAP took of our training etc, and I would assume we would send in the email a narrative of what was happening in the video.

We haven't tried this yet, So for others that get limited or no TV news coverage, you might consider looking into this option with your local TV stations.
RM   

Gunner C

This is well worth a try.  The problem would be getting a commercial-grade raw video for them to use.  Did they say what their standard for video would be?  Most camcorders wouldn't have the quality they need.

Rotorhead

Give it a try, but having worked in TV news for 25 years, I can tell you that, unless you live in a very small media market, your video (and story) is not very likely to make it on the air.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ