Main Menu

White and Grays

Started by Lt Oliv, May 18, 2009, 05:12:08 PM

Lt Oliv

Quote from: Rotorhead on May 29, 2009, 04:34:54 PM
Quote from: Ollie on May 29, 2009, 01:50:31 PM
Requiring members to conform to AF standards in order to wear something that resembles a uniform is just plain ridiculous. 

This would be the case, if it were true, but you can wear the white and grey uniform as you are now.

What's the real problem?

At a gathering of CAP Members, some may be wearing the Class A AF Uniform, while others may wear the Corporate Uniform, still others may opt for the white aviator shirt and gray pants (of assorted shades) or the polo shirt, or perhaps you'd prefer to wear the blazer uniform.

Kind of takes the "uniformity" of of the uniform, don't you think?

My last rant was not because I needed to be reminded that we have the white and grays, it was simply to express my disgust over the manner in which the corporate uniform was executed.  In re-reading my post, I see how this was probably unclear.

My problem is that Pineda (he's a General again in the U.S. Ranger Corps, you know) made a uniform for himself which is pretty spiffy, and I can't wear it.  The reason I can't wear it is because I have a beard.  That I can wear the whites and grays is great, and I'm very pleased that I have a way to attend SLS (since polo or blazer wasn't authorized).  But to me, the Corporate Uniform sets yet another class within CAP that we need to do away with (fit and trim, fat and shaved and fat and fuzzy).

It just bothers me. 

SarDragon

It bothers me, too. I have a beard by choice, and made the decision many years ago that, given a choice between CAP and the beard, CAP would lose. In fact, I have executed that decision twice in the past.

These days, I try to leave the negatives behind, and look ahead to what I can contribute to CAP.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

billford1

Does anyone know if beards were ever allowed in CAP with uniforms other than the gray & white Aviator shirt uniform and the BBDU?

notaNCO forever

Quote from: billford1 on May 29, 2009, 11:45:55 PM
Does anyone know if beards were ever allowed in CAP with uniforms other than the gray & white Aviator shirt uniform and the BBDU?

I know you used to be able to in the BDUs grade couldn't be worn on the uniform though.

Slim

Quote from: NCO forever on May 30, 2009, 12:52:23 AM
Quote from: billford1 on May 29, 2009, 11:45:55 PM

I know you used to be able to in the BDUs grade couldn't be worn on the uniform though.

FACT

Prior to the introduction of blue BDUs and the blue utility uniform (1 March 2002, IIRC), members not meeting weight and/or grooming standards could wear BDUs or the green flight suit without grade insignia (the CAP cutout was worn on both BDU collars, nothing on the zoom bag), or the light blue jumpsuit (AKA smurf suit).  Other options included a royal blue or distress orange nomex flight suit with grade insignia.

The smurf suit, royal blue and orange flight suits are now phased out.

Slim

BrandonKea

God, I do not miss the Orange Jumpsuits...
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

PHall

Quote from: BrandonKea on May 31, 2009, 02:54:13 AM

Orange Jumpsuits???? What are you talking about?

We used to be authorized to wear orange FLIGHTSUITS.
Kinda nice to have when flying over water or over the boonies.

BrandonKea

Quote from: PHall on May 31, 2009, 04:10:55 AM
Quote from: BrandonKea on May 31, 2009, 02:54:13 AM

Orange Jumpsuits???? What are you talking about?

We used to be authorized to wear orange FLIGHTSUITS.
Kinda nice to have when flying over water or over the boonies.

I stand corrected. And I'm glad you thought they looked good, but I always used to laugh everytime I saw one. Very NASA-esque.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

Mustang

Quote from: BrandonKea on May 31, 2009, 04:13:57 AMI stand corrected. And I'm glad you thought they looked good, but I always used to laugh everytime I saw one. Very NASA-esque.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Besides, orange flight suits had many other uses in their day. Flight Test and Rescue crews wore them, which made them a natural fit for CAP use. 

Even the royal blue ones now formerly authorized were used by Flight Test and are still used by NASA crews.   Again, I don't see the problem.  At least there were surplus sources for those.   Not so for the dark blue now authorized.  Now everybody who isn't authorized the sage green variety gets to shell out top dollar for nomex protection.   Thanks Bill Webb, you moron!
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "