Health Service Officer (MSO) Badge

Started by rjfoxx, May 14, 2009, 07:10:16 PM

rjfoxx

I will soon become the Health Service Officer for my Senior Squadron.  An HSO is not a physician or a nurse.  According to the KnowledgeBase there is a badge for the HSO.  It is not the same as the Medical Officer (a physician).  Does anyone know what this badge looks like? Neither Vanguard or The Hock carry it.  Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

P.S.  I did mean Health Service Officer
Major Richard J Foxx, CAP
Health Service Officer - DEWG
IG Inspector - DEWG

SJFedor

You mean health services officer?

Unless you meet requirements for issuance of one of the other badges (Nurse, EMT), there's no other badge to be worn. They were working on an HSO specialty track badge, but I don't think it's been produced yet.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Eclipse

Quote from: SJFedor on May 14, 2009, 07:15:45 PM
You mean health services officer?

Unless you meet requirements for issuance of one of the other badges (Nurse, EMT), there's no other badge to be worn. They were working on an HSO specialty track badge, but I don't think it's been produced yet.

Correct - the track exists, but is based primarily on outside professional certifications (i.e. MD, RN, EMT), and the only badges currently available are the over-ribbon Medical and EMT badges.  (which, BTW, are worn in place of, not in addition to, a GT badge, etc. - if you're an EMT, you have to pick one).

There's nothing like a Cadets Programs Officer badge, etc., for the pocket.

"That Others May Zoom"

rjfoxx

I knew that the HSO track was new.  It is for medical professionals who are not physicians or nurses.  Virtually every other advanced medical specialty does qualify for HSO.  My military medical background includes Army MOS's 91B20, 91C30 and 91V30; also Air Force AFSC's 90150, 90250 and 91670.  I work for the government as a Senior Cardiovascular Sonographer and as a Clinical Instructor in Cardiology (student Cardiologists). I have over 45 years experience.
Major Richard J Foxx, CAP
Health Service Officer - DEWG
IG Inspector - DEWG

SJFedor

Quote from: rjfoxx on May 14, 2009, 11:54:38 PM
I knew that the HSO track was new.  It is for medical professionals who are not physicians or nurses.  Virtually every other advanced medical specialty does qualify for HSO.  My military medical background includes Army MOS's 91B20, 91C30 and 91V30; also Air Force AFSC's 90150, 90250 and 91670.  I work for the government as a Senior Cardiovascular Sonographer and as a Clinical Instructor in Cardiology (student Cardiologists). I have over 45 years experience.

Outstanding. I know who I'm calling when I have to go through ACLS for Paramedic school  ;D

So, to answer your question, no, there's no badge for it right now. Though I'm sure you have an occupational specialty badge from the AF, so you can wear that on AF style uniforms.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations

arajca

Where can information on the HSO track be found?

SJFedor

CAPR 160-1 is gonna be it for now. NHQ is "still developing" the HSO specialty track.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

EMT-83

I would have someone check with your Wing PDO and make sure they can handle the HSO specialty track. I went through this with one of my members a while back. There was no Wing HSO to sign off on the program.

I was told by Wing that my nurse HSO would have to use a secondary specialty track if she wanted to advance.

Eclipse

Quote from: EMT-83 on May 15, 2009, 01:54:22 AM
I would have someone check with your Wing PDO and make sure they can handle the HSO specialty track. I went through this with one of my members a while back. There was no Wing HSO to sign off on the program.

I was told by Wing that my nurse HSO would have to use a secondary specialty track if she wanted to advance.

At least at the technician level the Unit CC is the approving authority. One click, done.

Go directly to approved, do not pass wing...

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

There is no active HSO track. It is merely there so HSO personnel can be assigned a track that is in keeping with their duties. There are no badges for the HSO track. CAPR 160-1 does not mention an HSO track.

That being said, HSO personnel can advance without a secondary track.
Let's start with the definition of HSO personnel from CAPR 35-5, Section E:
Quotec. Health Services Personnel. A health professional/technician who possess the qualifications set forth in CAPR 160-1.

Here's the initial Professional Appointment and Promotion paragraph for HSO:
Quotec. Health Service Personnel. Upon successful completion of Level I, unit commanders may initiate a CAPF 2 on health service personnel recommending appointment to an appropriate grade, as outlined below. The member's qualifications will be evaluated by the wing health service program officer, who will provide his or her comments and recommendations to the wing commander prior to approval. (Specific qualifications for medical personnel are outlined in CAPR 160-1.)
(1) Second Lieutenant. Licensed practical or vocational nurse, paramedic, or other health technician.
(2) First Lieutenant. Registered nurse, physician assistant or other health professional with a bachelor's or master's degree as outlined in CAPR 160-1.
(3) Captain. Licensed physician, dentist, or other health professional with an earned doctorate degree in a health care discipline.
(4) Major. Licensed physician appointed a unit health service program officer in accordance with CAPR 160-1 who has served 1 year time-in-grade as a captain.

Now, for HSO personnel to promote, normal PD rules do not apply:
Quote5-2. Training Requirements. Professional personnel must complete Level I prior to appointment to CAP officer grade. Health Service personnel, legal officers, professional educators serving as aerospace education officers and financial professionals serving as finance officers are exempt from all other training requirements prescribed for promotion to additional grades.
According to the regs, your wing PDO was wrong.

EMT-83

By the regulation, the initial appointment can't be made without a wing HSO program officer to "evaluate" the member's qualifications.

The Squadron CC does not have the authority to approve the Professional Appointment. The CC can promote to second lieutenant, based on Level 1 and time in grade. But without a secondary specialty track, you have second lieutenant for life.

arajca

If there is no HSO at the wing level, forward to the wing/cc directly, with an explanation.

Generally speaking, the commander of whatever echelon is responsible for whatever duties are not assigned to subordinates.