Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2018, 10:19:25 AM
Home Help Login Register
News:

CAP Talk  |  General Discussion  |  Announcements  |  Topic: The Name Game
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: What name do you favor for this place?
CAPplace (CAPplace.com)
TalkCAP  (TalkCAP.com)
CAPstuff (CAPstuff.net / CAPstuff.org)
CAPtalk  (CAPtalk.net)
CAPspot (CAPspot.com)
All Things CAP (AllThingsCAP.com)
Think-CAP  (Think-CAP.com)
CAPthink (CAPThink.com)
CAP Forum (capforum.com)
CAPSpeak (CAPspeak.com)
Other (post your ideas below)

Author Topic: The Name Game  (Read 7673 times)
Pylon
Administrator

Unit: NER-NH-038

Michael Kieloch, Marketing Communications & PR Leadership
« on: February 07, 2005, 10:47:51 PM »

Pick which name you like best for our new CAP forums.  We'll be picking one soon and making the release official.  If you have other ideas that you'd like us to consider, please by all means, post them below!

The domain names that correspond to the forum names are the best ones available for each.  We had other name ideas (such as CAPcentral and ThinkingCAP) due to the domains already being taken.  Whatever name we chose, we'd also be registering the corresponding domain for it.

Thanks for the help everyone!  :)

« Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 10:54:53 PM by Pylon » Logged
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP
Concord Composite Squadron, NH       
Greg
Forum Regular

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 11:38:35 PM »

I voted "other" because i thought "CAPworld" had a nice ring to it, and it's easier to say than names like "talkCAP" and stuff.  The domain www.capworld.com is already taken though......I'm not a computer geek (as TFO Horn will attest to  ;)), so I don't know if a CAPworld.net domain is possible, but it's an idea.  The site looks good so far, and I really hope to see some great development.  Thanks a lot! :)
C/Maj Greg(ory) Boyajian, CAP
Air Victory Museum Composite Squadron
Pylon
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 11:55:56 PM »

I voted "other" because i thought "CAPworld" had a nice ring to it, and it's easier to say than names like "talkCAP" and stuff.  The domain www.capworld.com is already taken though......I'm not a computer geek (as TFO Horn will attest to  ;)), so I don't know if a CAPworld.net domain is possible, but it's an idea.  The site looks good so far, and I really hope to see some great development.  Thanks a lot! :)

CAPworld does have a nice ring to it, however all the major TLDs for capworld are taken (.com, .net, and .org).  We're trying to avoid getting a weird domain extension, like Christmas Island's (.cx) or something. :)

Thanks for the input!  Please keep offering your suggestions and comments!
Briski
Forum Regular

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005, 12:17:42 AM »

I went for All Things CAP, because it's both unique, and an apt description. After all, it encompasses all three of the CAP missions, and it isn't too similar to other websites.

I fear that if you go for something like CAPstuff - especially CAPstuff.org - loyal CadetStuffer's will feel like this is a cheap rip off, when that's not at all what it's intended to be.

CAPworld is a close second, though.
JACKIE M. BRISKI, Capt, CAP
VAWG Cadet Programs Team

...not all those who wander are lost...
Pylon
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 12:51:36 AM »

I've added a new option, "CAPspeak" (CAPspeak.com) to the list of options.  The idea was submitted by Tom Rehman of Group 4, Ohio Wing.

I also added the option for you to change your vote.  Simply click "Remove Vote" and then resubmit your vote for a different option, if you so choose.

We're looking for something catchy, but not awkward, and that has an available TLD/domain to register.
SarDragon
Global Moderator

Unit: NAVAIRPAC

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2005, 01:10:42 AM »

All Things CAP   8)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret
CAPSGT
Global Moderator

Unit: MER-MD-086

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2005, 05:32:06 AM »

I went with AllThingsCAP too.  As Jackie said CAPStuff is too similar to CadetStuff, and along the same lines CAPTalk is too similar to the CAP-Talk E-mail list which has far too much bashing and controversial material for what I believe this forum is going to be.
MICHAEL A. CROCKETT, Lt Col, CAP
Assistant Communications Officer, Wicomico Composite Squadron
dwb
Salty & Seasoned Contributor

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2005, 08:14:53 AM »

CAPStuff.org has obvious heritage with another web site I know... ;)

How about House of CAP -- houseofcap.com?  Shawn Stanford used to have that as his squadron's URL, so you'd have to see if it's available.

Otherwise, I'd vote for CAP world -- capworld.org/com.
Yoda

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2005, 04:17:44 PM »

Yeah, I'm kinda a fan of CAPWorld too.  It's a shame it can't be used.  I like CAPTalk better than All Things CAP though.  It just has a much better ring to it.  Plus, it has the handy CT abbreviation.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2005, 04:27:28 PM by Yoda » Logged
Pylon
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2005, 04:35:40 PM »

CAPStuff.org has obvious heritage with another web site I know... ;)

We just want to avoid the look that we're competing with or ripping off CadetStuff.  We want to live in harmony with CS, since we're really not competing with each other.  :)

How about House of CAP -- houseofcap.com?  Shawn Stanford used to have that as his squadron's URL, so you'd have to see if it's available.

Not available.  Registered by some guy in India who looks like he registers tons of domains, hoping to make a buck or two.

Otherwise, I'd vote for CAP world -- capworld.org/com.

Unfortunately, all the CAPWorld TLDs are taken (.com, .net, and .org)  :(

Pylon
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2005, 04:25:05 AM »

:)

After discussion and taking into consideration the suggestions that everyone provided us, Jerry and I selected "CAP Talk" for the official name of the new discussion boards and captalk.net will be the domain.

We appreciate all the help, suggestions, and input that you all gave us.  Thank you for your time and we hope that you will all enjoy the newest CAP online community! 

Pages: [1] Print 
CAP Talk  |  General Discussion  |  Announcements  |  Topic: The Name Game