Main Menu

ID cards

Started by Daniel, May 10, 2009, 10:01:44 PM

Always Ready

Quote from: BrandonKea on May 12, 2009, 02:24:00 PM
Gah! Flight Officer grades are annoying.

This was actually a big point that General Glasgow used to make, about the cost of ID cards and everything that goes into them. WIWAC, I had a CAPID, it said CADET for 7 years. I wasn't too worried about it. When I list cadets on any of my forms or anything like that, I list them as CADET. I don't worry about their grade at all, because it's likely to be wrong in a week anyways.

Now, if you really want to know what drives me nuts more than the never ending stream of CAP ID Cards, it's the little phone number cards they send out at renewal time. THAT is a huge money waster, especially on something that lists info readily available on the net.

I agree with you on everything except the phone number cards. The people who don't have access to internet need those cards. There has been a few times where I've been without internet and needed to get in touch with NHQ or CAPMart/Vanguard. That card has saved my butt more than a few times.

Thank Gawd I only have 10 months, 4 days, 23 hours, 4 minutes, and 37 seconds until I am no longer dealing with the Flight Officer annoyingness!

Off topic: Small internet world...I found former C/Capt, former TFO Kea! :o

TFO Floyd
Former Offutt Troublemaker >:D

Eclipse

Quote from: Always Ready on May 13, 2009, 05:04:23 AM
I agree with you on everything except the phone number cards. The people who don't have access to internet need those cards. There has been a few times where I've been without internet and needed to get in touch with NHQ or CAPMart/Vanguard. That card has saved my butt more than a few times.

Tell the other guy that both of you should dial 4-1-1.

Even at a buck a pop (likely w/ postage), that's probably tens of thousands a year that could be better spent.

"That Others May Zoom"

FW

^$22,000/year is the correct figure it costs to mail those phone number cards out with the membership renewals.  Unfortunately, the renewals can't be printed without them with our current system.  Yes, I know it's rediculous however, it will all change next year if CAP adopts the new AMS (association membership software) system.  Between this and the actual cost of the membership cards, we should be able to save big time.

BrandonKea

22k could go a long way (ok maybe not a LONG way, but still).

I don't understand how renewals can't be printed without the goofy little cards.

One thing I had heard too was getting rid of ID Cards all together, just making it something you print out at home. THAT would be a major cost saver (and probably negate the point of even having an ID.)
Quote from: Always Ready on May 13, 2009, 05:04:23 AMOff topic: Small internet world...I found former C/Capt, former TFO Kea! :o

TFO Floyd
Former Offutt Troublemaker >:D

Heyyyy, it IS a small world!
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: Spike on May 13, 2009, 01:26:48 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on May 13, 2009, 12:27:58 AM
The little plastic phone number card is handy for two things: the number when you don't have 'Net access, and an emergency window ice scraper, for those of you living in cold/snowy areas.

YMMV.

I have never once gotten that.  I have been a member for going on 13 years.  I remember the lame flimsy plastic Cards as a Cadet, the brownish cards from a few years ago and now the blue ones.  I guess NHQ doesn't like me............

Huh. Do you remember the one-color (royal blue) printed paper membership cards? My first one had Gen. Brookfield's signature. Ah, 1984.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

BrandonKea

*opens can of worms* What about CAP Members getting CAC cards issued by the DoD...

*stands back, waits for it...*  >:D
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

USADOD

I must admit, Flight Officer grades are bad. But only 2 Months until I make CAP Officer grade. Not a big rush or anything.

....but the phone card they send with renewals does makes a good tongue scraper ;D
Jorvon Brison, SFO, CAP
DCC, Detroit 100th "Red Tails" Composite Squadron
Wright Award  #3495
Mitchell Award #54039
Earhart Award #13385

SJFedor

Quote from: BrandonKea on May 13, 2009, 04:30:50 PM
*opens can of worms* What about CAP Members getting CAC cards issued by the DoD...

*stands back, waits for it...*  >:D

It's been argued many times here. Use the search function and you can read the probably 6 threads that exist on the subject, most of which got locked.

Quote from: USADOD on May 13, 2009, 04:51:10 PM
....but the phone card they send with renewals does makes a good tongue scraper ;D

I've opened many a door with that phone card when i've been locked out. It's good for a few things!

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

BrandonKea

I remember the flame wars on the subject from CadetStuff...
Ahh the good ol' days...  :)
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

Gunner C

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on May 13, 2009, 03:28:28 PM
Quote from: Spike on May 13, 2009, 01:26:48 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on May 13, 2009, 12:27:58 AM
The little plastic phone number card is handy for two things: the number when you don't have 'Net access, and an emergency window ice scraper, for those of you living in cold/snowy areas.

YMMV.

I have never once gotten that.  I have been a member for going on 13 years.  I remember the lame flimsy plastic Cards as a Cadet, the brownish cards from a few years ago and now the blue ones.  I guess NHQ doesn't like me............

Huh. Do you remember the one-color (royal blue) printed paper membership cards? My first one had Gen. Brookfield's signature. Ah, 1984.
Mine had Brig Gen William W. Wilcox on it.

Cecil DP

Mine had Joe L. Mason
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

SarDragon

My oldest surviving membership card has Tom Casady's sig on it. ('78)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ascorbate

Mine has Brig. Gen. William M. Patterson's signature on it... 1975.
Dr. Mark A. Kukucka, Lt Col, CAP
Missions Directorate (A7), MD-001
Carl A. Spaatz Award #569
Gill Robb Wilson Award #3004

Spike

Mine had no signature on it.   :'( :'(