Main Menu

ID cards

Started by Daniel, May 10, 2009, 10:01:44 PM

Daniel

Me and this girl joined CAP at the same time..
and got promoted at the same time

she has two id cards one says 'CADET' one says 'C/Amn'

I only have one that says 'CADET'

Does this make a difference?

Should I request a new one?
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Hoorah

Just a word of advice go through your chain of command first and if you can;t get an answer after that then ask us.

Daniel

ahh man that means I've just walked into another open mouth insert foot situation...
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

GoofyOne

Get used to it.    Good luck and remember use your Chain of Command.  It will keep you out of LOTS of trouble by not ticking those in power off.

AlphaSigOU

Your membership card (the one without the photo) should read 'CADET', unless they've changed it to read by grade - generally only the rank corresponding to which phase you have completed in the cadet program:

CADET - Phase I below Wright Brothers
C/SSgt - Phase II below Mitchell
C/2d Lt - Phase III below Earhart
C/Capt - Phase IV below Eaker
C/Lt Col - Phase IV, completed Eaker
C/Col - Spaatz

Senior members include their current grade.

The ID card includes the photo of the individual. I wouldn't get wrapped around the axle worrying about grade on membership cards.

And a word of advice: if you have a question please feel free to ask it here on CAPTalk. If it's a question that can be answered by going through your chain of command then follow that route instead.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

PhoenixRisen

Wow, guys, chill out.  He asked a harmless question - no big deal.  There's nothing wrong with asking questions on here.  (I asked the same questions here a few months ago.)

As to the original poster - it doesn't really matter.  The ID cards used to simply say "CADET" for all Cadets, and now they've been changed to reflect your rank listed in eServices.  If you're squadron actually goes by the books, and enters your data in the system, you should be up to speed.  If not, no big deal.

Mine says I'm a C/SSgt, but I'm almost ready for Cheif.  It's never caused me any problems.

MIKE

It's because eServices will now reflect cadet grade depending on what is input from your unit or automatically by NHQ.  Does it matter?  Not really, but you'll probably end up walking around with a card that says C/Amn for a year because getting a new one every few months would be a waste.  IMO, should stick with CADET on membership cards and the photo one.

Mike Johnston

DBlair

I understand the Cadet perspective of wanting the card to reflect updated/current grade, but I also see the impracticality of it. The cost and trouble of making a new card every couple of months when a Cadet promotes doesn't seem practical. By the time the card would be received, the Cadet would/should almost be ready to promote again.

Seniors get a new one when we promote only because it takes a few years between promotions. If any Cadet (other than C/Col) stays at the same grade for a few years, then there is a problem. I'm not a fan of those career C/MSgts and C/CMSgts.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Flying Pig

Daniel,

Ive read a few of your posts.  You seem very much intent on doing a good job, but you need to relax a little or your going to have ulcers by the time your a C/CMsgt.  Just have fun and do the right thing.  You will seldom find anything wrong as long as your intentions arent self serving.  Even if you really screw up, as long as you wernt being self serving or caught lying, you will usually fare pretty well.   

CAP is great because you have all of us Seniors here to guide you.  As far as chain of command?  Ehhhh, I wouldnt have any issues with any of my cadets coming on CAP talk and asking questions as long as they are appropriate and not bashing anyone.  Regarding your ID Card issue.  Its not a big deal at all.  Hopefully you will promote though the ranks faster than your ID cards can catch up with you anyway.

Always Ready

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on May 10, 2009, 10:55:39 PM

Except if you are one of the Flight Officer grades. Then your card reads "SM" on it.

<short rant> The fact that National now upgrades Cadet membership cards for each phase (or achievement according to some sources) really peeves me. What a waste of money! Cadets lose their membership cards all the time. Certain Cadets promote every month or two. It costs money to make the cards, mail the cards, and to pay the people who do both of those jobs. Couldn't that money be better spent on something else? Like more doughnuts and coffee in the Senior Members' Lounge ;D</short rant>

BTW-Daniel L, WELCOME TO CAP!!!! Enjoy your time as a Cadet! Also don't pay attention to some of the more cranky members of CAPTalk. They aren't used to  :o OUTSIDERS :o  or they just aren't used to Cadets. ;)

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Always Ready on May 11, 2009, 07:29:22 AMExcept if you are one of the Flight Officer grades. Then your card reads "SM" on it.

<short rant> The fact that National now upgrades Cadet membership cards for each phase (or achievement according to some sources) really peeves me. What a waste of money! Cadets lose their membership cards all the time. Certain Cadets promote every month or two. It costs money to make the cards, mail the cards, and to pay the people who do both of those jobs. Couldn't that money be better spent on something else? Like more doughnuts and coffee in the Senior Members' Lounge ;D</short rant>

BTW-Daniel L, WELCOME TO CAP!!!! Enjoy your time as a Cadet! Also don't pay attention to some of the more cranky members of CAPTalk. They aren't used to  :o OUTSIDERS :o  or they just aren't used to Cadets. ;)

I agree... why don't they track the FO grades and leave cadets just as 'CADET' regardless of grade? [/former TFO many moons agoo when dinosaurs roamed the earth].

Not all of us cranky donut-eatin', coffee-swillin' s'members think 'dinks are best seen and not heard... just some of us were former cadinks! And we know the Ooooold Cadet Program was the BEST cadet program... :)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

FW

Quote from: Always Ready on May 11, 2009, 07:29:22 AM
Quote from: AlphaSigOU on May 10, 2009, 10:55:39 PM

What a waste of money! Cadets lose their membership cards all the time. Certain Cadets promote every month or two. It costs money to make the cards, mail the cards, and to pay the people who do both of those jobs. Couldn't that money be better spent on something else? Like more doughnuts and coffee in the Senior Members' Lounge ;D</short rant>

Funny you should mention that Alpha, the NEC was discussing this very topic just about a week ago.  And, everyone present felt the same way.  I don't know if we'll be getting more doughnuts and coffee however, the money saved will fatten the pot with increased scholarships and NCSAs. ;D

BTW:  there is currently no limit to the amount of membership cards you can receive!

USADOD

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on May 11, 2009, 11:57:02 AM
Quote from: Always Ready on May 11, 2009, 07:29:22 AMExcept if you are one of the Flight Officer grades. Then your card reads "SM" on it.

I agree... why don't they track the FO grades and leave cadets just as 'CADET' regardless of grade? [/former TFO many moons agoo when dinosaurs roamed the earth].

Not all of us cranky donut-eatin', coffee-swillin' s'members think 'dinks are best seen and not heard... just some of us were former cadinks! And we know the Ooooold Cadet Program was the BEST cadet program... :)

since i'm a flight officer does that mean I am destined to turn into a dinosaur?
Jorvon Brison, SFO, CAP
DCC, Detroit 100th "Red Tails" Composite Squadron
Wright Award  #3495
Mitchell Award #54039
Earhart Award #13385

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: USADOD on May 12, 2009, 08:55:01 AM...since i'm a flight officer does that mean I am destined to turn into a dinosaur?

As soon as that dark blue tarnish gets taken off those bars!  ;D
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

BrandonKea

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on May 12, 2009, 11:57:53 AM
Quote from: USADOD on May 12, 2009, 08:55:01 AM...since i'm a flight officer does that mean I am destined to turn into a dinosaur?

As soon as that dark blue tarnish gets taken off those bars!  ;D

Gah! Flight Officer grades are annoying.

This was actually a big point that General Glasgow used to make, about the cost of ID cards and everything that goes into them. WIWAC, I had a CAPID, it said CADET for 7 years. I wasn't too worried about it. When I list cadets on any of my forms or anything like that, I list them as CADET. I don't worry about their grade at all, because it's likely to be wrong in a week anyways.

Now, if you really want to know what drives me nuts more than the never ending stream of CAP ID Cards, it's the little phone number cards they send out at renewal time. THAT is a huge money waster, especially on something that lists info readily available on the net.
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

SarDragon

Some notes:

CAPID = the unique six digit number assigned to each member for tracking personnel actions.

Membership card = the plastic card with your unit charter number,  name, grade, and CAPID, issued after each renewal and promotion (as appropriate), that has no picture on it.

ID card = the $4 item you special order that has your picture on it.

The little plastic phone number card is handy for two things: the number when you don't have 'Net access, and an emergency window ice scraper, for those of you living in cold/snowy areas.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spike

Quote from: SarDragon on May 13, 2009, 12:27:58 AM
The little plastic phone number card is handy for two things: the number when you don't have 'Net access, and an emergency window ice scraper, for those of you living in cold/snowy areas.

YMMV.

I have never once gotten that.  I have been a member for going on 13 years.  I remember the lame flimsy plastic Cards as a Cadet, the brownish cards from a few years ago and now the blue ones.  I guess NHQ doesn't like me............

MIKE

They come with the renewal notification. i.e. before you get the membership card.
Mike Johnston

Daniel

Quote from: SarDragon on May 13, 2009, 12:27:58 AMThe little plastic phone number card is handy for two things: the number when you don't have 'Net access, and an emergency window ice scraper, for those of you living in cold/snowy areas.

YMMV.

also cleaning your teeth...

Guy in my squadron proved that one

also you keep your CAPID in your head not your wallet :)
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Eclipse

Quote from: Daniel L on May 13, 2009, 02:35:55 AM
also you keep your CAPID in your head not your wallet

My CAPID is on my CAP ID.

"That Others May Zoom"