Main Menu

CAP Discounts?

Started by Hoorah, May 10, 2009, 09:56:20 PM

DBlair

Quote from: Spike on May 11, 2009, 04:52:50 AM
Quote from: DBlair on May 11, 2009, 12:02:31 AM
I'll wait for later this year after I commission before I try to take advantage of a military discount.

Well you already have a military ID Card....right?  Whats the big deal, you can use that.

I wasn't referring to myself trying to use a CAP ID card to get a discount. Instead, I was using examples of members in my unit (etc) and stating that it is a bit too far into the gray territory for my liking to try to seek out such military discounts and that if I personally wanted to take advantage of such benefits, that I'd wait until I actually earned that privilege.

In a roundabout way, I was trying to convey that if someone wanted a military discount, that they should actually join the military instead of pretending.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

gistek

Some places DO extend their military perks to auxiliaries and others don't. When I ask, I always describe CAP as the Civilian auxiliary of the USAF.

If I'm asked what we do I answer, "We have a cadet program for teens, provide aerospace education services, and our emergency services teams provide disaster relief and search and rescue services."

Spike

Quote from: DBlair on May 11, 2009, 05:54:52 AM
In a roundabout way, I was trying to convey that if someone wanted a military discount, that they should actually join the military instead of pretending.

So are you saying all CAP Members are pretending to be "military"??

So typical for someone to jump to the idiots answer..... "you should just join the military".

Ned

FWIW, members of the military aren't "entitled" to a military discount from businesses, either.

Military discounts are a patriotic courtesy offered by business owners in order to honor the member's service and generate a little business. (And not necessarily in that order.  ;))

Business owners can give or not give the discount as they see fit.  They can change the amount or eligibility requirements as they choose.

Just like senior citizen discounts, the details will vary.  Some businesses offer it at age 55, some at age 60, and some not until age 65.  Some businesses gladly include CAP in their military discounts, some do not.  No business will be offended if you ask.  The worst that can happen is that they will decline to extend the discount.  No big deal. 

I remember the civilian laundry just outside the gate at Ft. McClellan.  Huge sign outside stating "military discount" and other signs offering insignia sewing and tailoring.  I don't think I ever saw anyone pay more than the "discount" rate, regardless of how they were dressed.  As a practical matter, the "military discount rate" was the regular price for that particular business.

So let's just leave the offering or not offering of discounts up to the business itself.  It is never wrong to politely ask if a particular discount applies to you.

DBlair

Quote from: Spike on May 11, 2009, 04:52:39 PM
Quote from: DBlair on May 11, 2009, 05:54:52 AM

So are you saying all CAP Members are pretending to be "military"??

So typical for someone to jump to the idiots answer..... "you should just join the military".

Whoa whoa whoa... so I'm suddenly an idiot because I feel that some CAP members try to pass themselves off as military in order to get a discount or receive other attention/recognition?

I'm not saying that all CAP members pretend to be military, but rather I was referring to those I described earlier in this thread who try to get military discounts as a result of a cashier thinking that 'USAF Aux' = military and that 'Active Member' on an ID card = Active Duty. Or, even in some cases, people outright claiming to be "...part of the Air Force" in order to gain whatever recognition/attention they are trying to achieve.

CAP is a mix of a vast array of different types/personalities of people, and yes, there are some who try to play the military idea for all its worth.

Do I think that CAP deserves recognition for all that we as an organization do? Sure.

Do I think that there is a difference between CAP service and actual military service? Absolutely.

Do I think it is right for some CAP members to mislead the public into thinking that they are indeed military? No.

I think this often serves to create/promote negative images/stereotypes of our membership and also to a certain extent, the AF- considering the behavior and appearance of some of these wannabe military members. I find that those who try to pull the 'military' concept for discounts and so forth are often the same people who were never in the military, watched too many movies, and now think that their CAP grade = RM grade and that they can walk around acting like RM Officers- or, at least how they *think* Officers act. This is what organizationally creates problems- and I'm sure each of us can cite a variety of examples.

If someone wants to be RM and enjoy all the benefits and courtesies (...and potential hardships too) that relate to serving their country in such a manner, then great, join the military.

If someone wants to serve their country as a member of CAP, then great, welcome aboard!

My point was that there are *some* CAP members who try to (dare I say it) pretend to be military, but no, I'm not claiming that ALL members of CAP pretend to be military. We've got some great members, but we also have a certain segment of our membership who seem to think that the oakleaf on their shoulder is equal to that of the real military, and this is where I believe there is a problem.

If a business wants to give CAP members a discount, great, but I don't think we should be misleading them by claiming to be part of the Air Force, etc.

DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Hoorah

Um can you use an Cap ID to buy stuff for Cap uses only.
Such as buying Military Surplus for your Cap needs etc. Or is it  in the grey area. Because I was wondering so I can get discounts on Cap needs.

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on May 11, 2009, 08:30:57 PM
Such as buying Military Surplus for your Cap needs etc. Or is it  in the grey area. Because I was wondering so I can get discounts on Cap needs.

If you want my humble opinion, being a Prior Service member......

Don't go hunting down Military Discounts.  Especially of you are CAP.  They will find you.

Also IMHO, CAP is not military.  We are a volunteer organization, attached to a military organization.

USADOD

I apply my military/USA when and wherever possible, times are tough. But when it comes to CAP, I believe it is ok to purchase CAP related items such as BDU's, SAR gear and even computers for educational purposes. But to simply go out and try to apply a discount to a new entertainment system from walmart, is a no go. Besides I do not believe the CAP Membership Card with all text and no photos would get you far, the CAP Photo ID card is just a "little" more believable even with that terrible Visa Hologram ;D
Jorvon Brison, SFO, CAP
DCC, Detroit 100th "Red Tails" Composite Squadron
Wright Award  #3495
Mitchell Award #54039
Earhart Award #13385

flyerthom

Quote from: Short Field on May 10, 2009, 10:09:49 PM
Go to Knowledgebase and search for "CAP discount" and you will get all the answers.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.  Teach him to fish and you feed him for life.

I thought it was ... teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat, drink beer, and tell lies all day.  >:D
TC

Eclipse

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on May 11, 2009, 08:30:57 PM

Ask this guy:

Unless you're committing deliberate fraud, he's the only one who is going to care how you use your ID card for discounts.
A long as you, he, and the core values can sleep at night, I would forget about it and move on.

"That Others May Zoom"

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: gistek on May 11, 2009, 03:52:18 PM
Some places DO extend their military perks to auxiliaries and others don't. When I ask, I always describe CAP as the Civilian auxiliary of the USAF.

If I'm asked what we do I answer, "We have a cadet program for teens, provide aerospace education services, and our emergency services teams provide disaster relief and search and rescue services."

I like how you put that.

Wright Brothers #13915

Eclipse

Quote from: Lunsford on May 12, 2009, 09:09:34 PM
Quote from: gistek on May 11, 2009, 03:52:18 PM

I like how you put that.

In the spirit of fairness, extending a military perk to CAP or anyone else, for that matter, is not the same thing. 

The $$$ numbers might match, but for most people "military" means the "big-4" services, then add-in the Coast Guard when they remember them.  Even the other two uniformed services aren't "military", per se, and there's probably an equal number of storekeepers in this country that have heard of the USPHSCC or NOAACC as know about CAP.

"That Others May Zoom"

Phillip

With one exception* I've never asked for a discount on something due to my CAP service.  I have received the "military rate" at on hotel that I used prior to a SAREX (or somesuch).  I was in uniform when I checked out and didn't know I was given the discount until I reviewed my receipt on the way out the door.  A similar thing happened at wing conference.  I got the conference discount even though I didn't make the reservation by the deadline.

*= the exception is Oakley, which through their US Standard Issue site offers thier products at significant discounts to Military, Law Enforcement, etc.  Send 'em a copy of your ID card, and you're good to go.  There is a thread about it in the Uniform section here.
Captain

Lt Oliv

When I was buying some things from a local electronics store, they had a sign in the window advertising a 15% Military Discount.  While on AD I would have jumped all over it, but in exchange for my Honorable Discharge I am willing to pass them up.

My wife, however, asked the Clerk if such a discount would be extended to an honorably discharged veteran of the U.S. Navy and he kindly offered it.

CAP is not military.  Veterans are FORMER members of the military.  Military Discounts are not entitlements, just a way for some businesses to try to show their appreciation to those who serve. 

If there is a military discount and you ask if it is extended to CAP, you are not being dishonest.  The worst thing they will say is "no." And since these discounts are intended to be courtesies, I have noticed they will usually just offer them if you ask.  The clerk doesn't want to risk offending you by saying you are not "military enough." 

You don't need to go on a rant about how what you do is important.  You don't need to explain the history of CAP and its relationship with the USAF.  If they offer a discount that you want, ask if you can get it too.  If they say "yes" enjoy the discount, if not, make your purchase and carry on smartly.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Pylon on May 10, 2009, 10:37:36 PM
Either Lowes or Home Depot (I forget which) extends a 10% discount specifically to Civil Air Patrol members, as well as military.  As for other merchants, I'd say it's a little stretch of the core value of "integrity" to seek out military discounts on the basis of belonging to Civil Air Patrol.

Unless you are buying some durable merchandise that you are going to use in your SPECIFIC volunteer official duties or will benefit your Civil Air Patrol unit directly, anything else angers me personally.  (and you approach the merchant not as representing being military but as a civilian auxiliary that supports the AF, along with our 3 major programs). 

Trying to get these military "discounts" as a CIVIL Air Patrol member, IMHO lessens its' value to actual military members (and their families) who really deserve the communities' support.  Military members/famility endure a lot of hardship in today's deployment environment, it's dishonest to think anyone in CAP is deserving of the same.   :-[

We don't need a bunch of military 'wanna bees" trying to camp on to these benefits. >:(  Last time I looked we are the CIVIL Air Patrol.  Don't forget that (that's why if I had my way there would be no senior members in ANY military style uniform, only CAP Blue BDUS, white aviator shirts, etc -- only the cadets would wear USAF uniforms) >:(
RM

Lt Oliv

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 17, 2009, 05:23:03 PM
Quote from: Pylon on May 10, 2009, 10:37:36 PM
Either Lowes or Home Depot (I forget which) extends a 10% discount specifically to Civil Air Patrol members, as well as military.  As for other merchants, I'd say it's a little stretch of the core value of "integrity" to seek out military discounts on the basis of belonging to Civil Air Patrol.

Unless you are buying some durable merchandise that you are going to use in your SPECIFIC volunteer official duties or will benefit your Civil Air Patrol unit directly, anything else angers me personally.  (and you approach the merchant not as representing being military but as a civilian auxiliary that supports the AF, along with our 3 major programs). 

Trying to get these military "discounts" as a CIVIL Air Patrol member, IMHO lessens its' value to actual military members (and their families) who really deserve the communities' support.  Military members/famility endure a lot of hardship in today's deployment environment, it's dishonest to think anyone in CAP is deserving of the same.   :-[

We don't need a bunch of military 'wanna bees" trying to camp on to these benefits. >:(  Last time I looked we are the CIVIL Air Patrol.  Don't forget that (that's why if I had my way there would be no senior members in ANY military style uniform, only CAP Blue BDUS, white aviator shirts, etc -- only the cadets would wear USAF uniforms) >:(
RM

So are you saying that when veterans ask for the military discount they are "lessening" its value to the active duty members? What about members of the Public Health Service? They are in the uniformed service, but not the Armed Forces.  Should they feel guilty if given a "military" discount?

When you ask for it as a member of CAP, you are not asserting that you are military.  You are not saying that people who serve are less deserving.  You are doing exactly what many people do when they go to the grocery store, essentially you are asking "Do you have any coupons?"

And now I'm going to stop.  This thread was not started to determine the morality of asking for military discounts while a member of CAP, the question posed was "Are there any CAP Discounts offered?" and we have noted at least one.

Any others that folks are aware of?

Slim

I view military discounts the same way I view discounts related to my job (EMS).

If I go into a restaurant on duty, and the waitress gives me a free or discounted meal, I smile, say thank you, and leave a fairly generous tip (usually the difference between the actual price and the discount).

If a store gives me a military discount based on my CAP service, I smile, say thank you, and pay whatever they tell me to pay.

I won't turn them down, but I won't solicit or seek them out either.

Slim

wingnut55

I had a guy actually demand. I mean "DEMAND" a military discount at a diner while we were away on a mission. He actually followed the Waitress into the kitchen arguing with the lady. Later he said he was going to wear his flight suit home on the Airline so he could get a Military Discount. I honestly believe  he did.

Since than this guy has on several occasions demanded discounts and in one instance demanded the use of an office Computer in an FBO telling them ' We are homeland security on a mission. I need to use your computer (To check email, weather )

And nothing was ever done about it.

I am not willing to embarrass myself, or the CAP.

Lt Oliv

Sadly I have seen some do the very same thing.  I have a friend who is former Army who regularly demands a "veteran" discount for every good and service he wishes (or may at some later time wish) to buy.

When the Red Cross had cookies for firefighters during a building blaze, he went up and demanded a cookie because he had a Bronze Star.

Asking if there might be a discount available to you is one thing, believing you are entitled to it and outright demanding it is completely different.  The first is you being a wise consumer, the latter is you being a jerk and embarrassing yourself (and any organization with which you affiliate).

Again though, it seems we are veering off topic as we discuss military discounts.  The initial post was requesting assistance locating CAP Discounts.

The CAP website lists a bunch of discounts that, prior to this thread, I was (mostly) unaware of...

http://level2.cap.us/en/member_services/

Might not save you on an oil change, but hey, it's something, right?

Spike

I am military, and I don't seek out discounts. 

As far as others doing it....who cares.  They are the only person who has to make amends for it, and live with the fact that they took a benefit not specifically afforded to them.