Text to support assertion a BDU hat is required.

Started by Eclipse, May 09, 2009, 01:31:26 PM

Eclipse

This looks to be another of those areas where 39-1 missed something or made assumptions.

Can anyone show me where it indicates that headgear is required with the camo BDU?

39-1, any ICL, or even a regulatory connection to a USAF reg will do.  I can find headgear options, places where its indicated as not required for similar corporate style uniforms, and requirements for other styles, but nothing specific to the BDU, nor can I find any general verbiage about "always wearing a hat".

Going in we all know 39-1 is outdated as it doesn't contain anything about seniors wearing grade insignia on hats, but simply wearing one should be in there from day one.

I'm trying to help someone writing an ethics paper, so "tribal knowledge" doesn't help here.

"That Others May Zoom"

swamprat86

In the Level I training program it is listed that it is mandatory to wear with the BDU'S

http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/Uniforms_77050D80D89C8.pdf

I don't know if this is official enough.  It cites 39-1 as the manual reference in the overall presentation but doesn't give specific reference on that topic.  I also didn't see anything specifically in 39-1.

Rotorhead

Quote from: swamprat86 on May 09, 2009, 03:50:34 PM
In the Level I training program it is listed that it is mandatory to wear with the BDU'S

http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/Uniforms_77050D80D89C8.pdf

I don't know if this is official enough.  It cites 39-1 as the manual reference in the overall presentation but doesn't give specific reference on that topic.  I also didn't see anything specifically in 39-1.

To quote specifically from the text linked:

"Battle Dress Uniform
The Battle Dress Uniform (BDU) is acceptable
for missions, unit meetings, and unit activities.
It is not appropriate when conducting office
visits or appointments (with local officials, for
example). Men and women wear the same type
BDU.

Headgear: All personnel must wear the
camouflage pattern BDU or unit authorized cap.
"
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

Eclipse

That's not really going to fit the need here - the current 39-1 predates the new L1 training program, and I'd have to say the latter isn't regulatory.

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

CAPM 39-1 table 2-3 line 6
Headgear (BDU Cap) Worn squarely on head with no hair protruding in front of the cap. When not being worn, is stowed in either of the lower cargo pockets on the trousers. Only AF-style or Army-style BDU cap will be worn. All senior members and cadet airmen and NCOs do not wear any type of insignia on the cap. Cadet officers wear the embroidered grade insignia on the cap 1/2 inch above visor.

(BDU Baseball Cap) Same as BDU cap with the addition that when not wearing, may attach to either lower trouser pocket button on the BDU.

(CAP Baseball Cap) Color, unit designation, and cloth or silk screen organizational emblem or badge as prescribed by unit commander. Emblem or badge, if authorized, will be centered 1/2 inch above visor. No other features such as stars, designs, individual's name and so forth, are authorized.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JoeTomasone

And add to the above that when headgear is optional (as it is with the field utility uniform), it is stated as such.   The BDU cap is not optional.

Eclipse

Quote from: jimmydeanno on May 09, 2009, 06:09:21 PM
CAPM 39-1 table 2-3 line 6
Headgear (BDU Cap) Worn squarely on head with no hair protruding in front of the cap. When not being worn, is stowed in either of the lower cargo pockets on the trousers. Only AF-style or Army-style BDU cap will be worn. All senior members and cadet airmen and NCOs do not wear any type of insignia on the cap. Cadet officers wear the embroidered grade insignia on the cap 1/2 inch above visor.

(BDU Baseball Cap) Same as BDU cap with the addition that when not wearing, may attach to either lower trouser pocket button on the BDU.

(CAP Baseball Cap) Color, unit designation, and cloth or silk screen organizational emblem or badge as prescribed by unit commander. Emblem or badge, if authorized, will be centered 1/2 inch above visor. No other features such as stars, designs, individual's name and so forth, are authorized.

Spin again - doesn't say "will" or "shall", only how it is to be worn when / if its worn.

Quote from: JoeTomasone on May 09, 2009, 06:51:06 PM
And add to the above that when headgear is optional (as it is with the field utility uniform), it is stated as such.   The BDU cap is not optional.

Gotta do better than that - most of the other combination specify that a hat will be worn.

I'm not making the argument its optional, but I'm also trying to find where it says its not.

"That Others May Zoom"

JoeTomasone

Eclipse

Quote from: JoeTomasone on May 09, 2009, 07:06:43 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on May 09, 2009, 06:55:59 PM
most of the other combination specify that a hat will be worn.

Cite, please.

Can't.

So is there anywhere in a reg that actually says headgear is worn at all times in USAF uniforms?  How about 2903 or the courtesies manual?

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Table 2-3 lists all the parts of the BDU uniform.  The BDU hat is listed in the same exact fashion as all the other uniform parts.  To use this table to say that a BDU hat is not required is also to say that nothing is required to be worn with the BDU uniform including boots.  Do you believe socks are optional because of this?
QuotePlain black or white socks may be worn with boots.

It is quite clear that in this context "may" is being used to indicate a choice between two types of socks (black or white) rather than indicating that socks are optional. 

PHall

Well the cite for the Air Force Uniform Manual about wearing hats is AFI 36-2903, Table 2-8.

This table, or it's equalivent, is not present in CAPM 39-1.

ßτε

Quote from: RiverAux on May 10, 2009, 02:31:47 AM
Table 2-3 lists all the parts of the BDU uniform.  The BDU hat is listed in the same exact fashion as all the other uniform parts.  To use this table to say that a BDU hat is not required is also to say that nothing is required to be worn with the BDU uniform including boots.  Do you believe socks are optional because of this?
QuotePlain black or white socks may be worn with boots.

It is quite clear that in this context "may" is being used to indicate a choice between two types of socks (black or white) rather than indicating that socks are optional.

That means we also must wear earmuffs with the BDU uniform. They are also listed in Table 2-3 and it does not say optional.

RiverAux

I think the earmuffs fall into the general rules for outgarments laid out hgher in the table that say:
QuoteUse good judgment in choosing appropriate garments for wear based on weather conditions and duties.

By the way, I'm certainly not going to argue that the manual is clear on everything as it is now written. 

JoeTomasone

Another concept to keep in mind is that 39-1 is not intended to backfill a lack of good common sense.   If you think you need to wear earmuffs all the time when you're in uniform......  ???

Capt. Ross: Corporal Barnes, I hold here the Marine Corps Outline for Recruit Training. You're familiar with this book?
Cpl. Barnes: Yes, sir.
Capt. Ross: You've read it?
Cpl. Barnes: Yes, sir.
Capt. Ross: Good. Would you open it up to the chapter that deals with code reds, please?
Cpl. Barnes: Sir?
Capt. Ross: Just flip open to the page of the book that talks about code reds.
Cpl. Barnes: Well, sir code red is a term that we use, I mean, just down at Gitmo, I really don't think that...
Capt. Ross: Ah, we're in luck then. Standard Operating Procedures, Rifle Security Company, Guantanamo Bay Cuba. Now I assume we'll find the term code red and its definition in that book. Am I right?
Cpl. Barnes: No sir.
Capt. Ross: Coporal Barnes, I'm a Marine. Is there no book. No pamphlet or manual, no regulation or set of written orders or instructions that lets me know that, as a Marine, one of my duties is to perform code reds?
Cpl. Barnes: No sir. No book, sir.
Capt. Ross: No further questions.
[as Ross walks back to his table Kaffee takes the book out of his hand]
Kaffee: Corporal would you open this book up to the part that says that where the mess hall is.
Cpl. Barnes: Well, Lt Kaffee, that's not in the book either, sir.
Kaffee: You mean to say the entire time you've been at Gitmo you've never had a meal?
Cpl. Barnes: No, sir. Three squares a day, sir.
Kaffee: Well, I don't understand. How did you know where the mess hall was if it wasn't in this book?
Cpl. Barnes: I guess I just followed the crowd at chow time, sir.
Kaffee: Thanks. No more questions.

Eclipse

^ I'd be willing to bet you that while a rank-and-file Marine may not have a book with the chow rules,
the schedule and location are posted somewhere, publicly, and there's a 2-inch thick regulation that indicates how big a scoop of mashed potatoes should be.

Further, Barnes received standardized training to become a Marine, and those above him have lawful authority to tell him to go and eat at McDonald's if it suited them.

As I mentioned earlier, this is for an ethics paper where the supporting text is all that can be used for the argument - the basis being someone being held responsible for something which ultimately is not required by "law".

As those of you with a legal background will know, common sense has nothing do to with what is "legal".   :D

It looks to me as though there is no easy-to-reference verbiage that specifies wearing a hat, only the options if one is worn, everything else is an inference, assumption, or interpretation.

"That Others May Zoom"

SJFedor

^ you're writing an ethics paper centered around CAP regulations?

good luck with that one!  >:D

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Short Field

What is wrong with using CAPP 151 Para 11c as the source?  "c. Outdoors: You are required to wear a hat or other headgear as authorized for the uniform combination. EXCEPTION: Hats are not required in designated `no hat` areas." 

It is not a regulation - but nether is CAPM 39-1.
Pamphlets provide guidence on how the majority of CAP operates - especially the pamphlets  coverning speciality tracks.  To simply ignore them and claim they are not "regulatory"  is a fecicious argument.  They have as much "legal" standing as any CAP regulation or manuel.   

In the RM, if you fail to follow a regulation - I might put you in jail (or have you put to death) and for sure can fine you, restrict you, and demote you. Failure to follow CAP regulations will at the most cause a lost of membership.  Failure to follow the guidence and direction contained in CAP pamphlets can lead to the same lost.  If you don't believe me, then start addressing your Wing Commander in all forums and face-to-face as Field Marshal Fearless Leader.

There is guidance published by CAP on how to do things.  If people are looking for a Big Stick to force people to conform, then they are in the wrong organization.  Same for the people that need a Big Stick to force them to conform.  If you don't want to freely follow the procedures, customs, and guidence provided in written form by National Headquarters, then why did you join.

Part of the above is a standard rant I have about people who join an organization and immediate expect it to change to fit their perceptions and not directed against anyone in this thread.

SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Eclipse

Quote from: Short Field on May 10, 2009, 05:39:49 PM
What is wrong with using CAPP 151 Para 11c as the source?  "c. Outdoors: You are required to wear a hat or other headgear as authorized for the uniform combination. EXCEPTION: Hats are not required in designated `no hat` areas." 

Nothing - you're the first person to cite it.  Its a step in the right direction, anyway.

Quote from: Short Field on May 10, 2009, 05:39:49 PM
It is not a regulation - but nether is CAPM 39-1.   
Agreed, however 39-1 asserts itself as the sole authority requiring compliance.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Except that you're quoting the old CAPP 151 which has been totally replaced with a new version as of last month.  The new version doesn't have anything addressing hats that I could find. 

Short Field

My bad - I went to Knowledgebase and followed the link to CAPP 151.  It still links to the Jan 1989 copy.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640