Main Menu

Radios

Started by maverik, April 27, 2009, 06:34:49 PM

CAP.is.1337

Quote from: SARADDICT on April 30, 2009, 10:39:18 PM
Okay so they don't have to have a specific code to be used with CAP thoug right?

Only if you want to use P25. If so, the first digit in the flashcode needs to  to be either a 1 or 5. All other stuff is ancillary with Astro radios. We don't use trunking or StatAlert, as far as I know. Now, the XTS-5000 and XTS-2500 can have options that will allow the to be programmed without /\/\'s expensive software. While that doesn't matter much for CAP, if you decide to get into ham radio, then you'll really appreciate being able to change your programming on the fly.
1st Lt Anthony Rinaldi
Byrd Field Composite Squadron – Virginia Wing

Earhart Award: 14753
Mitchell Award: 55897
Wright Bros Award: 3634

maverik

hah yeah I'll actually have technician rating by the end of the summer. BTW is this a code that means I can use P-25? 010001-000000-8
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

CAP.is.1337

Quote from: SARADDICT on May 01, 2009, 02:52:41 PM
hah yeah I'll actually have technician rating by the end of the summer. BTW is this a code that means I can use P-25? 010001-000000-8

No. When you run that code through a decoder it comes out to only:
* H101,G101,H169 Conventional Repeater Access (Analog Operation Only)(MDC1200 or Singletone)
* H35/G48 Conventional Operation
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/flash/
It should work fine for our analog feqs, though. A little cheat you can use to recognize P25 capability is that if it is, the flashcode will begin with a 1 or 5.

ETA: Oh, I see you're talking about the one listed on ebay. Even though the listed bandwith is 146-178 MHz, you should be able to program in our lower freqs without issue. The real problem with those radios is that they have a 512k Vocon and its VSLEP rather than IMBE. Basically what that means is that its a very old Astro Saber, the audio quality is much worse than a newer radio, and it will never work with P25.

Would it be ok to use as a conventional radio only? Probably. Would I save my money until I found a nicer radio that has P25. Yes.

I highly recommend you read the Guide to ASTRO Digital Radios if you're thinking about getting seriously into Motorola ASTRO portables.
http://www.akardam.net/moto/docs/mirrored/Guide_to_ASTRO_Digital_Radios_R03.00.01.pdf

And congrats on getting into Ham radio!
1st Lt Anthony Rinaldi
Byrd Field Composite Squadron – Virginia Wing

Earhart Award: 14753
Mitchell Award: 55897
Wright Bros Award: 3634