Best comfort insoles for boots?

Started by Eclipse, April 10, 2009, 04:22:51 PM

Eclipse

Especially for low-impact "lots of walking / standing" situations vs. outdoor or combat environments?

"That Others May Zoom"

Al Sayre

I like Dr. Scholl's Gel Inserts.  I'm gellin' like Magellan  :D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Angus

As long you're not gellin like fellin.  By the way have you met my wife Helen?
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

DC

Quote from: Al Sayre on April 10, 2009, 04:51:16 PM
I like Dr. Scholl's Gel Inserts.  I'm gellin' like Magellan  :D
I've got those too, they pretty decent. I'm still sore after wearing boots all day, but it is much better than the crappy little 1/16th inch foam pads the boot come with...

bosshawk

I'll second or third the Dr Scholes good words.  I have them in two of the pairs of boots that I regularly wear.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

SarDragon

Yup, that's the ticket. I have them in all my utility footwear, and have zero problems. They also work well with the orthotics I have for my plantar fasciitis.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Stonewall

I have never used anything other than what came in my boots.  Up until I got issued ABUs, I only wore jungle boots.  Good socks and well-worn feet from thousands of miles of rucking.
Serving since 1987.

gistek

Gell insoles are definitely the best, and Dr Scholls makes the best version.

Eclipse

I'm gonna pick up some this PM, thanks for the input.

"That Others May Zoom"

Rob Sherlin

I like em in all my shoes. Doesn't help with brand new boots in the back of the ankles though......OUCH!!!!! Any suggestions?
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

PHall

Quote from: Rob Sherlin on April 11, 2009, 10:41:48 PM
I like em in all my shoes. Doesn't help with brand new boots in the back of the ankles though......OUCH!!!!! Any suggestions?

Mole skin or if you have the room, mole foam.

gistek

Moleskin or a wide bandaid on your heel. Some people put the moleskin on the boot's heel seam, but I find it tends to roll and then you have problems with the lump of moleskin as well as the heel seam.

Sometimes hiking socks - the kind with several layers - can reduce heel blisters. A cheap (and almost as effective) method is to wear a pair of nylon knee-highs under your socks. Then the rubbing happens between the sock and the knee high, protecting your feet from much of the "new shoe" problems. I haven't tried the men's nylon socks plus wool socks method, but have heard that it works, too.

Eclipse

If your heel is moving that much, isn't that a sign of an improperly fitted boot?

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

Quote from: gistek on April 12, 2009, 02:44:17 PM

Sometimes hiking socks - the kind with several layers - can reduce heel blisters. A cheap (and almost as effective) method is to wear a pair of nylon knee-highs under your socks. Then the rubbing happens between the sock and the knee high, protecting your feet from much of the "new shoe" problems. I haven't tried the men's nylon socks plus wool socks method, but have heard that it works, too.

Polypro socks under book socks really work well.

Quote from: Eclipse on April 12, 2009, 03:32:33 PM
If your heel is moving that much, isn't that a sign of an improperly fitted boot?

Not always.  Wearing the wrong type/size of sock can cause blistering.  On my 20k march back in Feb, I work the wrong ones, and man did I ever pay for it.  by the end, I couldn't hardly walk.  The only thing that kept me going was that I didn't want to redo it on a Saturday.

A great fitting boot reduces the chances of getting blisters, but there is more to it than just the boots.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

IceNine

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 12, 2009, 04:54:06 PM
Quote from: gistek on April 12, 2009, 02:44:17 PM

Polypro socks under book socks really work well.

Quote from: Eclipse on April 12, 2009, 03:32:33 PM

Not always.  Wearing the wrong type/size of sock can cause blistering.  On my 20k march back in Feb, I work the wrong ones, and man did I ever pay for it.  by the end, I couldn't hardly walk.  The only thing that kept me going was that I didn't want to redo it on a Saturday.

A great fitting boot reduces the chances of getting blisters, but there is more to it than just the boots.

And for the warmer months nylons under socks works really well (age old trick that my grandpa learned in the army many many moons ago)
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

CadetProgramGuy

every once in a while when I feel the need, I use duct tape to reduce the fiction on my heels.

dogboy

Quote from: Eclipse on April 10, 2009, 04:22:51 PM
Especially for low-impact "lots of walking / standing" situations vs. outdoor or combat environments?

My physician recommends Superfeet Green

http://www.superfeet.com/products/Green.aspx

I find they work really well.

SarDragon

Quote from: dogboy on April 18, 2009, 06:15:54 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on April 10, 2009, 04:22:51 PM

My physician recommends Superfeet Green

http://www.superfeet.com/products/Green.aspx

I find they work really well.

I noticed this statement:
QuoteIdeal for feet with medium to high arches.

They may be great for your feet, but they would be totally inadequate for mine.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

I was "Gellin' " this weekend alright, if by "Gellin' " people meant the ooze from my heel blisters.

I bought the Dr. Scholl's work-grade gel pads, and initially they were pretty comfortable - in general making for a softer step on the hard concrete of the RTC.

The problem was that the new insoles lifted my feet in the boot about 1/4" or more, which resulted in them rubbing the
backs of my heels contrary to how they had been broken in.  My insistence on repeatedly walking the 1/2 mile or so to the main gate instead of driving down there didn't help the situation, either. (Don't ask me, I just like walking around that base, and I think it sets a good example). The 1-1/4" mile walk to the pool was the killer.

By Saturday noon I had to abandon the insoles and switch to a different pair of boots just to be able to walk.  Moleskin
was a requirement from that point on.

Lessons learned...

"That Others May Zoom"

Chicago_Pilot

Quote from: Eclipse on April 22, 2009, 04:01:22 PM
I was "Gellin' " this weekend alright, if by "Gellin' " people meant the ooze from my heel blisters.

I bought the Dr. Scholl's work-grade gel pads, and initially they were pretty comfortable - in general making for a softer step on the hard concrete of the RTC.

The problem was that the new insoles lifted my feet in the boot about 1/4" or more, which resulted in them rubbing the
backs of my heels contrary to how they had been broken in.  My insistence on repeatedly walking the 1/2 mile or so to the main gate instead of driving down there didn't help the situation, either. (Don't ask me, I just like walking around that base, and I think it sets a good example). The 1-1/4" mile walk to the pool was the killer.

By Saturday noon I had to abandon the insoles and switch to a different pair of boots just to be able to walk.  Moleskin
was a requirement from that point on.

Lessons learned...

I also purchased the gel insoles.  And my boots decided to break me in (instead of the other way around) over the encampment weekend.  I barely made it from the parking lot to our Squadron meeting hall last night.

I have heard from a number of people to use nylon socks/stockings (available at Target) and wear them inside your socks.  This prevents the abrasive rubbing that causes blisters.