E-Services using Blackberry or I-Phone

Started by jimmydeanno, April 08, 2009, 06:46:15 PM

jimmydeanno

Just out of curiosity, does anyone here do any data entry/updates in E-Services using a blackberry or I-Phone?

Does it work?

I'm about to finally get a smart phone of some sort.  Our squadron doesn't have internet access at our unit, so I'm curious if I'd be able to update cadet testing records, SQTRs, etc.

Any input appreciated.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JoeTomasone

Way painful but possible on an iPhone.  I wouldn't want to do it often. I'd imagine it's worse on a BB.

D2SK

Lighten up, Francis.

Tubacap

Blackberry Pearl is brutal, but it works in a pinch.  The default browser does an awful job, but I can use Bolt and it does a little bit better.

A mobile website would be exceedingly helpful!
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Al Sayre

I've got an AT&T 8525 and I do both eServices and WIMRS on it.  Not the easiest way to do it.  I usually just tether my laptop to the phone and do it that way...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

BTCS1*

I also have an 8525, what browser do you use for it? its horrible in IE
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

Eclipse

Both the WMU and eServices work on my MDA (a derivative of the 8525), but as commented its painful.  Few smartphones render frames very well, and frankly neither of these sites is entirely machine-friendly on a regular PC.

Its nice in a pinch, but not how I'd do it with a choice.

"That Others May Zoom"

Al Sayre

Quote from: BTCS1* on April 09, 2009, 02:11:25 AM
I also have an 8525, what browser do you use for it? its horrible in IE

I have the standard IE that came with it.  I really haven't had any need to go looking for another browser, and I don't have the time to participate in the HTC forums.  If you know of a better one for download, I'd love to hear it.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

jeders

With my Bold WMIRS came up but didn't work well, eServices didn't work at all. Besides, I'd rather have a full computer screen to do that kind of data entry.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

jimmydeanno

I went to the wireless store the other day and tried with the new Blackberry Storm (the touch screen one).  It has a fully functioning web browser, supports java, etc.  It worked, but it was kind of painful having to zoom in to see each appropriate field, etc.

I suppose that in a tough situation (like a quick ES Qual approval at a SAREX or something) it wouldn't be very practical.

Although, what do y'all know about hooking your data capable phone to your laptop and using it for web access?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

argentip

I have a Moto 9Q that runs Windows Mobile with a version of IE and it doesn't work well at all.  I can use it for the stuff that is on the main screen of eServices, but can't even get to the Ops/Quals section.  I would love if they came out with a mobile web version of the website.  Seems like that would make everything much easie.
Phil Argenti, Col, CAP
GLR-IN-001

Eclipse

Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 15, 2009, 02:31:40 PM
Although, what do y'all know about hooking your data capable phone to your laptop and using it for web access?

I do it all the time, works with both the USB cable or bluetooth.  I prefer the tether because a bluetooth data connection to a PC is about the hottest the radios can get and burns the batteries at about the highest rate possible (ditto when I listen to Live365 w/ my BT headphones).

So when I use it I prefer to use the USB, because in that case the phone is actually charging while its connected.  One issue I've found, which is just normal ops, is that you can't get voice calls while connected to data - no issue surfing on the phone, etc., but in a situation like an encampment, where we don't have internet, and my phones ringing all day, you've got to do some device-time-management.

Much, much better than nothing, but painful if you're trying to get email and someone decides to send a 4Mb "I couldn't resist" picture, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

Al Sayre

I do it all the time on my 8525.  No issues.  I generally use the USB cable to tether, and  I can get my voice calls at the same time as long as my bluetooth ear piece is active.  I also tether and use Skype on my laptop to take incoming and make outgoing calls while doing other data intensive activities.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

Tubacap

Verizon charges for the tethering capability past just the data plan.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

DBlair

I just tried on my BB 8310 (AT&T) and eServices wouldn't load in the browser- got an error message about a communication failure. Not sure if it was just the browser not working right now or if it generally won't load.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander