Blue Gore-Tex Jacket for BBDU

Started by Eclipse, March 18, 2009, 08:03:48 PM

Eclipse

Has anyone found a source for a dark blue Gore-Tex jacket that is roughly equivalent to the camo Gore-Tex?

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Not the same style as the Woodland one but it looks pretty good:
Ebay

From the coasties
Gen 1
Gen 2
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Phil Hirons, Jr.

But could we wear it with the BBDU?

davedove

Quote from: Eclipse on March 18, 2009, 08:03:48 PM
Has anyone found a source for a dark blue Gore-Tex jacket that is roughly equivalent to the camo Gore-Tex?

bdu.com has the complete Foul Weather System the Coast Guard uses.  I recently got a set to use.  It's not cheap though.

Quote from: phirons on March 18, 2009, 08:27:49 PM

As long as you don't go putting the rank insignia tab on it, it is just a fancy civilian jacket.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Eclipse

Quote from: phirons on March 18, 2009, 08:27:49 PM

Yes, in that we can wear any civilian outerwear with the BBDU.  Putting a grade slide on it would be pushing it based on the current state of the ICL.

The only outerwear approved for the BBDU which includes insignia is the blue M-65.

This is one more place the current state of the uniform has a deficiency.

"That Others May Zoom"

Always Ready

I don't think wearing grade insignia on a blue gortex jacket is any different than what people were doing with the woodland gortex for years before the ICL came out authorizing it. That being said, discuss it with your chain of command.

If you want to show your grade while wearing the BBDUs, no matter your outerwear, wear the BBDU cover (cap/hat) with grade insignia on it. It's a guaranteed way to show off your insignia outdoors no matter what you are wearing over your field uniform.

MIKE

UDC stocks both the FWP II and the fleece liner now... Sweet!  GSA pricing FTW!  >:D
Mike Johnston

JayT

https://www.epropper.com/categoryattribute/37

Their station pants are amazing, I've been wearing them instead of BDU pants for work lately.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

O-Rex

If I recall, one of the multitude of ICL's stated that the woodland Gore-tex parka was okay to wear with BBDU's  ( ? )

Eclipse

Quote from: O-Rex on March 19, 2009, 04:16:01 AM
If I recall, one of the multitude of ICL's stated that the woodland Gore-tex parka was okay to wear with BBDU's  ( ? )

I don't think so - that would be violating the cardinal "don't mix corporate and USAF-style parts" rule.

"That Others May Zoom"

PA Guy

I highly recommend the CG Foul Weather Parka II.  I have one with the fleece liner and have used it in cold wet weather and it was great.  They are made by Propper and are available on their website.  They are on the pricey side but are great quality.

Always Ready

Quote from: O-Rex on March 19, 2009, 04:16:01 AM
I think you are confusing it with the old thinking that since the woodland gore-tex parka sans insignia was not an authorized uniform item, it was considered civilian attire which was perfectly legit to wear. I believe there was even a CAP Knowledge base question on it. However, since it is now an authorized uniform item for BDUs and we don't have the no insignia=civilian attire rule, I don't know how that would play out. Probably not well though. I'd go with what Eclipse said and don't wear it.