Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 18, 2018, 09:09:04 AM
Home Help Login Register
News:

CAP Talk  |  Operations  |  Aviation & Flying Activities  |  Topic: CAP Glider program status?
Pages: 1 [2]  All Print
Author Topic: CAP Glider program status?  (Read 8436 times)
Jolt
Forum Regular

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2007, 11:37:26 PM »

I flew in the Schweitzer once with general Harrison.  I remember liking the view I got from the seat a little better because it was higher up, but it takes a lot of stick movement to make that thing move a little.  I flew it after I had already had a lot of L-23 training and I still couldn't fly the thing.  The general did the take-off, let me try the tow for a minute (and I couldn't keep it behind the tow plane), he thermaled it a few hundred feet (you heard it right, you can go soaring in a Schweitzer) and landed it.

Nice flight, though.  It's fun to have someone else fly for you while you look outside for a little while instead of having to focus on seven different things at once when flying.
Chris Jacobs
Seasoned Member

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2007, 12:26:31 AM »

The little bit of time that have have had in a 2-33 was interesting.  i got it to thermal a little, but most the time i could not get it to bank over fast enough to get into the thermal.  the roll rate on it is so slow it is not funny.  but i guess that is what you would want in a trainer.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron
afgeo4
Salty & Seasoned Contributor

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2007, 04:28:20 AM »

Long Island Group (NY) uses a winch to launch their gliders. There are C-182's in NYWG that are equipped for towing. I've heard they make okay tow planes. I don't see why they and high power 172's can't be used.
GEORGE LURYE
Jolt
Forum Regular

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2007, 05:22:15 PM »

The little bit of time that have have had in a 2-33 was interesting.  i got it to thermal a little, but most the time i could not get it to bank over fast enough to get into the thermal.  the roll rate on it is so slow it is not funny.  but i guess that is what you would want in a trainer.

If you've ever looked at the ailerons on that bus, you'll see that they're about 2'x6".  And that's not even too much of an exaggeration.
Eclipse
Too Much Free Time Award

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2007, 05:36:33 PM »

My dream is to buy a self-launching glider. 

I thought you were kidding:
http://www.alexander-schleicher.de/englisch/produkte/ash26/e_ash26_main.htm

Pages: 1 [2]  All Print 
CAP Talk  |  Operations  |  Aviation & Flying Activities  |  Topic: CAP Glider program status?