Main Menu

Bowing epaulets

Started by Rob Sherlin, March 06, 2009, 04:16:00 PM

Rob Sherlin

I'm gathering everything for a CSU. I have bought whithe aviator shirts that fit real nice, but I noticed that when I wear them, the epaulets bow upward, which is undesirable to me because it looks sloppy. I was thinking a couple of stiches of white thread might do the trick to keep them down. Has anyone else had this problem ?  How did you resolve it?
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

Eclipse

Quote from: Rob Sherlin on March 06, 2009, 04:16:00 PM
  I'm gathering everything for a CSU. I have bought whithe aviator shirts that fit real nice, but I noticed that when I wear them, the epaulets bow upward, which is undesirable to me because it looks sloppy. I was thinking a couple of stiches of white thread might do the trick to keep them down. Has anyone else had this problem ?  How did you resolve it?

Epaulet shapers, which, IMHO, shoudl be worn anytime you wear epaulets, including on outwear.

VG part #: CAP0747R

But there are various similar styles available from lots of different sources.  They make a night and day difference.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: Eclipse on June 27, 2008, 01:48:16 PM
As mentioned, military epaulet sleeves are significantly smaller than CAP ones, the shapers help keep the
epaulet from being bunched inside (YMMV based on how wide the shirts epaulets actually are).

Below the epaulet sleeves are the two different types of shapers I have. I prefer the ones on the left, as the ones on the right
came with little white vinyl ends that always get lost quickly (never found it matters).  I believe the type on the right came from MCSS, no idea on the left (I have 2-3 pairs of each type, including some on my service coat, sweater, and jacket that rarely come out).  Yes it would be very easy to make these out of a hanger or similar, however that could be dangerous to the shirt(s), as I am assuming that these are either stainless steel or something at least corrosion resistant, most hangers aren't - the last thing you want are rust stains on your shirt or insignia.  Also, I generally stretch them wider as I put them on to insure full "spring".

The below shows how you're supposed to thread them on the epaulet, then the how the sleeve goes over, and how it looks properly placed.  As shown, if any metal is showing, its because the epaulet sleeve is not positioned correctly.  Yes, I have seen members not wearing them correctly (i.e. inside the sleeve but over the epaulet), and the metal shows - you correct the member quickly and privately and the problem never appears again.

Note that when used properly, the shaper not only keeps the epaulet sleeve stretched open, but also works to hold the epaulet sleeve in place at the end of the epaulet.  You will rarely see anyone with an epaulet sleeve creeping up the epaulet towards the neck if they are wearing shapers.

Here is an example of shaper vs. no shaper, with the shaper on the left (nametag side).  The difference is subtle but obvious, especially for members who also wear shirt garters, (so that the front of the shirt is being pulled down at the same time your shoulder may be raised).  I see a very pronounced curve most often on heavier members wearing short-sleeved shirts while seated.

BTW - another pet peeve of mine is people who wear a notebook bag, backpack, purse, or anything else that hangs on the epaulet sleeve.  Looks terrible and ruins the insignia.

"That Others May Zoom"

Fifinella

Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

Flying Pig

Take an old credit card or stiff cardboard, cut it to shape and place it in the epaulet so its nice and tight.  Then place the epaulet strap OVER the top of the cardboard as you put the epaulet on.  That way it wont slide out of the top of the epaulet while your wearing it and its less visible.  Also, use a neutral color....not a bright red card or something.

BTW - another pet peeve of mine is people who wear a notebook bag, backpack, purse, or anything else that hangs on the epaulet sleeve.  Looks terrible and ruins the insignia.

OH MAN!!  Thats one of my biggest. Or anything over your shoulders.  Dont even bother pressing your uniform if you going to carry your luggage over your shoulder.

Rob Sherlin

I've used epaulet sleeves, and I do plan on using shapers. Everything is brand new right now and the part where the epaulet sleeves are seem to be fine. It's the shirt epaulet itself that's bowing out (almost as if the button is too far in, but they lay flat when I'm not wearing the shirt ). Even without the epaulet sleeves, they bow upward. Maybe if I alter the shirt and move the button towards the neck about 1/8" ?
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

mmouw

If you are going to buy them, get them now. I just ordered four sets from Vanguard, because four out of four base's MCSS that I have been in have not been able to get them for quite some time and are discontinuing them. At this point Vanguard is the only source. I am not sure if the Hock Shop carries them or not.
Mike Mouw
Commander, Iowa Wing

Eclipse

Quote from: mmouw on March 07, 2009, 07:36:01 AMAt this point Vanguard is the only source.

Vanguard is not the only source, Google is your friend and Fifinella provided a source above as well.

"That Others May Zoom"

ColonelJack

My epaulets only bow when I applaud them.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Gunner C

I've found on my white shirt the shoulder seam is MUCH lower on the shoulder than my blue shirt.  This causes the epaulette sleeve to act as a lever, raising the epaulette to bow in the middle.  Unfortunately, the only remedy I've found is to move the sleeve about 1/2" inboard from the shoulder seam, even with shapers. This allows it to lay flat. The problem is the cut of the shirt.

Flying Pig

I know its up to the Air Force, and us.....but I would personally like to see us abandon the shoulder epaulets all together and wear the miniature rank on our collar, like the Marine and Navy Officers do. 

No confusion with another service, because nobody else in blue does it.  No silly grey epaulets.  I say the mini because the full size look huge on the collar.  I know.....Ive tried it ;D

PHall

Quote from: Flying Pig on March 07, 2009, 09:25:36 PM
I know its up to the Air Force, and us.....but I would personally like to see us abandon the shoulder epaulets all together and wear the miniature rank on our collar, like the Marine and Navy Officers do. 

No confusion with another service, because nobody else in blue does it.  No silly grey epaulets.  I say the mini because the full size look huge on the collar.  I know.....Ive tried it ;D

You know, we have people who can't wear the epaulets correctly, and they're almost fool proof.
And you want them to actually place pin-on insignia correctly?

Dreamer....

MIKE

Auxies can't seem to get it right either... Whats real bad is we have distinctive insignia, and I still see metal rank sans "A" being worn. 
Mike Johnston

Hawk200

Quote from: Flying Pig on March 07, 2009, 09:25:36 PM

The Air Force used to do that, and I don't think they'd want mini officer rank on any of their uniforms, regardless of whose wearing it. Granted, there are still people out there that are ignorant enough to think that even with our grey epaulettes that we're Air Force officers, but others in military uniform can tell we aren't.

Personally, I don't mind the color differences for our uniforms, I just don't care for the epaulettes sleeves on our  service coats. I'd still like to see the eps changed out for grey ones, and pinned on rank. Make all service coat nametags with "Civil Air Patrol" on them, I don't think we'd really have a problem. For NCO's, make the background of the stripes grey. Simple, and wouldn't require any redesign. Just a thread color change.

Quote from: Rob Sherlin on March 06, 2009, 05:21:06 PM...Even without the epaulet sleeves, they bow upward. Maybe if I alter the shirt and move the button towards the neck about 1/8" ?

Probably the best bet. Get someone to help you, remove the button, place the sleeves with shapers on them, have someone lay them flat (don't do it yourself, the shift will change the positioning), then mark through the buttonhole. Sew it back on in the new location, and you should be done. Don't do anything fancy like a rigid attention stance, just a relaxed standing position (then again, sitting if that's what you do the most  ;D  >:D ). Should look fine.

Even when I'd bought shirts from mil clothing I had to move the buttons on a couple, and I was wearing stripes, nothing on the epaulette. Stuff happens. It's really wierd when one is fine, and the other one stands up.

PHall

Quote from: Hawk200 on March 08, 2009, 04:01:45 AM
The Air Force used to do that, and I don't think they'd want mini officer rank on any of their uniforms, regardless of whose wearing it. Granted, there are still people out there that are ignorant enough to think that even with our grey epaulettes that we're Air Force officers, but others in military uniform can tell we aren't.

There actually was a serious suggestion at the last Air Force Uniform Board to eliminate the wearing of the enlisted stripes on the sleeves of the light blue shirt and to wear the metal grade insignia on the collar like our cadets do.

It died a very quick death...

Hawk200

Quote from: PHall on March 08, 2009, 06:09:26 AMThere actually was a serious suggestion at the last Air Force Uniform Board to eliminate the wearing of the enlisted stripes on the sleeves of the light blue shirt and to wear the metal grade insignia on the collar like our cadets do.

I'd imagine so. That would look too much like Army enlisted (even though the AF uniform is blue, and stripes are oriented exactly opposite, and the Air Force has a star in the middle of all it's enlisted ranks).

I could do without epaulettes on enlisted blue shirts, though. Nothing to put on them, so there's really no use for them.

PHall

Quote from: Hawk200 on March 08, 2009, 08:16:56 AM
Quote from: PHall on March 08, 2009, 06:09:26 AMThere actually was a serious suggestion at the last Air Force Uniform Board to eliminate the wearing of the enlisted stripes on the sleeves of the light blue shirt and to wear the metal grade insignia on the collar like our cadets do.

I'd imagine so. That would look too much like Army enlisted (even though the AF uniform is blue, and stripes are oriented exactly opposite, and the Air Force has a star in the middle of all it's enlisted ranks).

I could do without epaulettes on enlisted blue shirts, though. Nothing to put on them, so there's really no use for them.

Back when we first got the light blue shirts they did come in two styles.
With epaulets for the officers and without epaulets for the enlisted.

About 10 years later they decided to standardize everyone on the with epaulets shirt.

Rob Sherlin

If it's the way the aviator shirts are cut, then that sort of makes sense on why they bow up like that. So, the thought of moving the button for the epaulets about 1/8" or so towards the neck will probably work. I'll give it a go. If it doesn't work, I can always put the buttons back where they were. It's only two buttons, so it's not like it's a major alteration or anything.