TIGERSTRIKE DF Unit

Started by Flying Pig, February 24, 2009, 08:52:55 PM

SE_Tigerstrike

Quote from: PHall on March 22, 2009, 04:20:22 AM
If you don't want to fight, then do what your counterparts in California have done.
They stopped posting here...

Ah, so I get it, I am not welcome here unless I am willing to fight?  I must have misunderstood the purpose of the forums, I thought it was for the open exchange of information and ideas.  I came here to answer questions people were asking about the product, in a thread someone else started dedicated to that product.  The one other person connected to the company that was posting here did stop, yes, but only because I started, and was answering the questions better, and had the images to post when needed.

Quote from: Eclipse on March 22, 2009, 05:11:22 AM
I specifically removed my post because I realized that this is going nowhere.  You chose to rebut a post that was removed.

It wasn't removed when I answered it, you removed it while I was responding.

Quote from: Eclipse on March 22, 2009, 05:11:22 AMAs Hall said, if you aren't interested in a "fight" debate, this is the wrong place to spend your time, and if you choose to engage people here, a less condescending, personally insulting, attitude will probably sell more product.

I respond in kind with what I am given.  Ok, perhaps a little better, but you understand what I mean.  And, believe it or not, I am not here to make sales, I am here to answer questions asked about the TigerStrike.  The only place I am personally involved in making sales would be the SE region of the USA.  That doesn't mean anyone outside my region can't ask questions, or call my extention, but I'm not here to sell to you.  I am here to help, and before I was attacked (yes Bob, by you), I thought I was doing a pretty good job of it.  As previously stated, I'd like to get back to that.

Oh, unless I am not welcome here because I don't want to fight...  How about it CAPSGT?  Should I leave because I would rather answer questions and discuss the subject of the thread instead of fighting?

Jim Henson
SouthEastern Rep for FSEMS
MS/AL/TN/GA/FL/NC/SC
http://firestormts.blogspot.com/   <--  TigerStrike Blog
1-888-212-6260  x709

wuzafuzz

Can we limit the conversation to the merits of the product/price point/etc?  If the kindergarten nonsense doesn't cease the thread will likely be locked.  End result?  Less opportunity for the rest of us to learn from others' experience with the product, good or bad.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

SE_Tigerstrike

I have been trying to, wuzafuzz, but when attacked, I do hit back.  Just because I don't LIKE to fight doesn't mean I don't know how to.
Jim Henson
MS/AL/TN/GA/FL/NC/SC
1-888-212-6260  x709

Flying Pig

^ I think that was the idea I had.  Since I started the thread, you'll notice a "fight" was not the intent.  I stopped posting because there really was no more for me to say.  Why don't we leave it to people who have used it or the people who know the specs and how to talk the talk.  When we take delivery of the product, my guys and I will play with it and tell you all what we think.  In the mean time.....keep asking TIGERSTRIKE questions.  

Here is something you guys might find interesting.  Firestorm - TIGERSTRIKE didn't come to us with a sales ad, my ES Officer went to them.

ES forever!

OK more news now that the coast is clear ........

1) After night trials we have added a rail to bottom of the antenna boom, and added an optional surefire light. makes it so much easier for dfing in airports.

2) The lobe on the antenna is better than we had expected, if you are 90 degrees to the signal, left or right the receiver is almost silent,  sensitivity is looking more like -127DBM versus the -120 of the best of the old technology.

3) In trying to explain the need difference, remember the new 406 MHz all have 121.5, at 25 MW not 100 MW, and for those who need proof
see:  http://www.cospas-sarsat.org/Documents/tDocs.htm   Here you will discover a world of info on the 406/121.5 beacons

4) If it appears that I avoid answering some of the more pointed questions by a contributor, it is because he has started an IG complaint against me personally, so I can not respond to him.

5) Timing, we the company will not be driven or gauged on our technology by others, we are currently concluding field trials and adding back these minor changes to the product in to the first real production run.

6) ease of use issue is so appearant, handing the Tigerstrike to someone who has never DFed before and have them tell you where the signal is heading and angle, as well as where they are on the surface of the earth is duck soup. I am kinda quackers over this feature as we have all seen less experienced Lper teams struggle with the df unit and the stick.  At this point we have demoed to over 85 people and the input has been great. This is not just a couple of us who think we are smarter, it is several years of showing and demoing the old unit and now the new unit which has evoked tremendous positive support. See the pilots have had all the kewl stuff, now we ground pounders have so kewl upgraded stuff too.

Well that is it from the Frozen north, the Canadians are playing with it at their sarex, eh... see if they can break it.. hoser

More pics later today

Eclipse

Quote from: ES forever! on March 22, 2009, 05:40:47 PM
4) If it appears that I avoid answering some of the more pointed questions by a contributor, it is because he has started an IG complaint against me personally, so I can not respond to him.

Just for the record, its not me.  I have issues with the offering, but not on that level.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on March 22, 2009, 05:44:12 PM

Just for the record, its not me.  I have issues with the offering, but not on that level.

Oh we know who it is...

SE_Tigerstrike

Quote from: PHall on March 22, 2009, 06:44:17 PM

Oh we know who it is...

Care to share?  Or should I not even ask?  I'm not CAP member remember, so what's an IG complaint?
Jim Henson
MS/AL/TN/GA/FL/NC/SC
1-888-212-6260  x709

RogueLeader

Quote from: SE_Tigerstrike on March 22, 2009, 06:50:09 PMCare to share?  Or should I not even ask?  I'm not CAP member remember, so what's an IG complaint?
Probably best left unsaid.  An IG complaint is a Complaint to the Inspector General.  It usually does not bode well, if allegations are true.  it's a serious step.  I do not know what it is about, but it's best left untouched by those who do not know facts about the case.  We are not a jury. . . .  even though we act like it sometimes.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SE_Tigerstrike

Ok then...TigerStrike anyone?

Let's see, something that hasn't been said yet...it uses AA batteries.  6 of them.  9volts.  With a power plug on the bottom for external power.
Jim Henson
MS/AL/TN/GA/FL/NC/SC
1-888-212-6260  x709

sardak

3) In trying to explain the need difference, remember the new 406 MHz all have 121.5, at 25 MW not 100 MW, and for those who need proof
see:  http://www.cospas-sarsat.org/Documents/tDocs.htm   Here you will discover a world of info on the 406/121.5 beacons
You're correct, there is a world of info, unfortunately it doesn't provide proof in support of your statement. The 25 mW (not MW) requirement is stated by many but is incorrect. This misinformation has been corrected before, but I'll do it again for your benefit.

The Cospas-Sarsat program does not require 406 MHz beacons to have a 121.5 MHz homer nor does it define their power output. Per C/S T.001 Specification for Cospas-Sarsat 406 MHz Distress Beacons:
Sec. 4.5.3 The distress beacon may incorporate an auxiliary radio-locating device at another frequency (121.5 MHz, 9 GHz SART, etc.) which is compatible with existing radio-locating equipment. Any such auxiliary radio-locating device must satisfy all the national performance standards applicable to radio-locating devices at the selected auxiliary frequency.

In the US, the FCC sets the national standards and beacons for use in the US must have the 121.5 MHz "auxiliary radio-locating device."

Requirements for 406 MHz ELTs are specified in FCC Reg "87.199 Special requirements for 406.0–406.1 MHz ELTs." This states that 406.0–406.1 MHz ELTs must meet all the technical and performance standards contained in the Radio Technical Commission for Aeronautics document titled ''Minimum Operational Performance Standards 406 MHz Emergency Locator Transmitters (ELT)'' Document No. RTCA/DO–204

DO-204 specifies the 121.5 MHz power output for ELTs to be:
Sec. 2.4.3 The Equivalent Isotropic Radiated Power (EIRP) shall not be less than -13 dBW (50mW or 17 dBm) or greater than -4 dBW (400 mW or 26 dBm).

So the legal power for ELT homing signals in the US must be at least 50 mW and can be up to 400 mW. In other discussions here it has been pointed out that the nominal spec power on many ELTs is 100 mW and in some it is higher.

406 MHz PLBs must meet FCC Part 95.1402 which references RTCM Paper 76-2002/SC110-STD. The 121.5 MHz power requirement here is:
Peak Equivalent Isotropic Radiated Power 25mW, -0 dB, +6 dB (25 mW to 100 mW) and many beacons have a spec nominal of 50 mW.

406 MHz EPIRBS are in FCC Part 80.1061 which references RTCM Paper 77-02/SC110-STD. The 121.5 MHz power requirement here is:
Peak Effective Radiated Power  25mW -0 dB, +6 dB (25 mW to 100 mW), the same as for PLBs, and like PLBs, most beacons have a spec nominal greater than 25 mW.

Mike

PHall

Quote from: SE_Tigerstrike on March 22, 2009, 06:50:09 PM
Quote from: PHall on March 22, 2009, 06:44:17 PM

Oh we know who it is...

Care to share?  Or should I not even ask?  I'm not CAP member remember, so what's an IG complaint?

Think Lawsuit and you've pretty much got it. Which is why nobody will talk about it.

SE_Tigerstrike

Lawsuit?  I would have thought I would have heard about that...
Jim Henson
MS/AL/TN/GA/FL/NC/SC
1-888-212-6260  x709

Eclipse

Quote from: SE_Tigerstrike on March 23, 2009, 02:40:33 AM
Lawsuit?  I would have thought I would have heard about that...

Its an internal process with no legal standing outside CAP, unless after the investigation NHQ feels the situation warrants a criminal or civil action.

If everyone plays by the rules you wouldn't hear about it, and even mentioning an ongoing one publicly is generally verboten until its closed, and even after it generally best for all parties to keep its to themselves.

"That Others May Zoom"

SE_Tigerstrike

Then this is me shutting up...
Jim Henson
MS/AL/TN/GA/FL/NC/SC
1-888-212-6260  x709

cnitas

Way to go folks.  You all managed to turn a technical discussion about a new product into a attack on a manufaturer's rep, ending with him leaving with thoughts of lawsuit in his head.

All that without anyone posting an in-hands review of the product.

Mike, this was one that actually should have been locked.

Way to represent for CAP folks.  :-\
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

heliodoc

Way to go folks

This is why CAP is the shape it is in

I agree this ONE should have been locked.  This kind of attitude, I would wonder who would want to work us

I really hope some more EM and other professionals are reading this and then get an idea...maybe  that is why some do not wnat CAP involved with activities...... 'cuz we know it all!!!

SE_Tigerstrike

As I read it, cnitas, it's not Firestorm doing a lawsuit, it's someone filing an IG complaint against ES_forever.  I had just asked what an IG complaint was, and was told it was similar to a lawsuit, and people should shut up about it...hence my previous post of "this is me shutting up".

Now, if this is something that isn't supposed to be discussed, let's drop it, and get back to the TigerStrike again...

AA batteries.  6 of them.  9 volts.  External power plug on the bottom next to the master power switch.  Right next to the stereo headphone jack.  

I like the idea of stereo on it...hear the single stronger in your left ear, turn more to the left...  Nice.  

Only with a headset though, the speaker under the screen is mono.

And heliodoc, locking the thread just lets those that would rather fight than discuss win...  I'd rather discuss.

The reason Firestorm and TigerStrike want to work with CAP is because they are CAP members themselves, and are trying help.  The inventor is a CAP member.  By CAP members, for CAP members...the other frequencies it'll work on are just of secondary interest to the guy that came up with the idea, because it was easy enough to make it usable on a wide range of frequencies.  But CAP is who he made it for, and where his major interest lies.
Jim Henson
MS/AL/TN/GA/FL/NC/SC
1-888-212-6260  x709

jimmydeanno

Jim, after reading the website and your posts, this looks like a great product.  I think it has many features that are very complimentary to what we do.

Obviously in CAP, especially the local unit level, the cost is something to work around - but it seems like TigerStrike has already thought of the end consumer and will work to get grants to reduce or eliminate the cost of the unit.  Thats a huge win and something that your 'competitors' don't do.

Out of curiosity, how easy is it to integrate the data transmission features with the mapping software, etc?  Will/does the manual cover the setup? 

I'm sure that many tech saavy people could figure it out, but I, for instance, am not saavy on wavelengths, how the actual signals work, etc.  But given a good set of instructions can get things working and use the equipment. 

Again, looks like a great product, I can't wait to hear/read some first hand use reports.  Keep on chugging!
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Major Lord

Did the issue of whether the new gen 406 ELT's have reduced output on 121.5 ever get resolved? I can't find any publications that show that low power 121.5 beacons are authorized, only rumors. 

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."