How to recruit Senior Members

Started by flyguy06, February 21, 2009, 03:21:19 AM

flyguy06

I am looking for ways to recruit Senior Members in my Squadron> Its easy to recruit cadets. But how to I get adults to wantto volunteer?  Thought I'd come here for suggestions.

Keep in mind that I am in an area that has little knowloedge of CAP or what it is or what it does.

winterg

Put flyers in all your local bars!  ;D

In all seriousness though,

I've been thinking about this as well.  I think there is a large untapped resource out there for CAP in our veterans, most of whom know little or nothing of this organization.

Hawk200

Quote from: winterg on February 21, 2009, 03:47:38 AM
Put flyers in all your local bars!  ;D

I hadn't thought of that one. I have considered going to the nearest armory with materials, and posting them up, talk with people, answering their questions. You'd reach the ones there, and any retiring soon. it would be a good resource.

winterg

Too bad we don't have a mention in the outprocessing packet during the discharge process when Time-In-Service is complete.

"Put your valuable military skills to use teaching the next generation with the Civil Air Patrol!"

or

"Want to keep the uniform with no pesky contracts?"

LtCol057

If anyone figures out a way to recruit quality senior members, please let me know too.   ???

RADIOMAN015

Remember we are the CIVIL Air Patrol.

As far as former military members, all got out of the military service for a reason.  Perhaps some military retirees might have an interest in CAP, but again when you put 20+ years in the military sometimes you need a break and you are also starting a new "civilian" career.

I find that the quality of senior recruits can vary greatly  Granted they will pass the screening, but there's some that definitely have problems with self development efforts in CAP (not good with computers or for that matter reading/retention capabilities).  They are good people and we just need to utilize them at the level they can achieve.  e.g. workabees that can follow instructions and not necessarily be involved in the various squadron programs management.

I also think that for the most part for senior members our goal should be to recruit personnel that have at least some college education and/or technical level education.  The days of bringing in a non high school graduate (no GED etc), are long gone in industry and should also be a screening consideration in CAP membership.

I realize overall that CAP is in "the numbers game" so to speak -- and units do recruit to get adult members just to support the unit via a dues system.  In my opinion when we recruit senior members we should be asking "why do you want to join CAP" and actually see if their "why's" meet our squadron's "needs".   It's a "balancing" act for sure! 

Overall I think that IF you are interested in targeting specific skills, than you need to go to places & meetings that have people with those skills.  For example we went last year to the local amateur radio clubs meeting (with a briefing) & annual radio flea market (small display).  Unfortunately, we didn't get any members with radio comm skills, BUT have hams that are wiling to help us with technical issues and act as radio relays for us IF the need arises.

RM   

Eclipse

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on February 21, 2009, 03:27:21 PM
I realize overall that CAP is in "the numbers game" so to speak -- and units do recruit to get adult members just to support the unit via a dues system. 

I don't know about your area, but in these parts we're trying to get the empty shirts off the books, dues or not.

As to recruiting - the single biggest factor in recruiting is running a full program that engages the membership, whether you've got 10 members or 100.

When people are excited about what they are doing, they talk about it, are gone a lot, and the recruiting happens organically.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Have a program and they will come.

I have (re)built squadrons with fewer than 8 active members, senior and/or cadets.  Once we organized ourselves and became active, "they" came out of the woodwork.

Never fails.  Did very little recruiting and quality people showed up to join.

Cadets talk about it at school and the word spreads; to adults and kids alike.

Don't have a program and you'll get nothing.
Serving since 1987.

wuzafuzz

There are people out there looking for a place to volunteer, where will they look for opportunities?  Lots of cities, counties, and states have directories of volunteer organizations.  There are stand alone directories as well.  Get listed on some of those if you can.  Do anything you can to increase your visibility in a positive way. 

What other organizations have similar goals or interests?  Are you looking for ground team members? Try networking with members of a hiking club, geocaching groups, or even 4x4 clubs.  Looking for radio operators? Try a ham radio club.  Network with CERT groups, Red Cross volunteers, etc.  Some might be looking for additional opportunities, or to switch and try something new.  Be careful to avoid the appearance of trying to steal members away from other groups.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Eclipse on February 21, 2009, 03:48:22 PM
I realize overall that CAP is in "the numbers game" so to speak -- and units do recruit to get adult members just to support the unit via a dues system. 

I don't know about your area, but in these parts we're trying to get the empty shirts off the books, dues or not.

That's why we have "patron" status.  The commander can transfer those members into that status and IF they still pay their dues when due, all well and good -- My commander does this on a regular basis.  In my unit about 68% of the senior members are active (e.g. they show up for meetings/participate in activities).   Keep them on the books in this "inactive status".  HOWEVER, lets see CAP on statistics show the difference e.g. active, patron, etc. right up front on the web page for everyone to see! 

I also think the current economy has a big impact on recruitment (we are seeing pilots looking for "free" flying -- that of course our ops officer is bringing them back into the "reality" of what "might" be funded and what isn't).  There still is a cost to membership, and the entire "Come & Pay" philosophy for giving your time & talent can be a negative factor.  We need to be sure we look at keeping total membership costs (dues, uniforms, training, etc) as inexpensive as possible.   
RM 

winterg

Remember we are the CIVIL Air Patrol.

As far as former military members, all got out of the military service for a reason.    

So I guess if we are the CIVIL air patrol we might as well do away with uniforms and customs and courtesies.

Speaking from experience, many veterans when they are done with their tour do want to leave active duty.  But they still want to feel connected, and a part of something.  I believe we are very well suited to providing a positive outlet for their skills and experiences.

One of the first things I did after I returned from AD was to rejoin my local squadron.  How many more vets would join after they ETS if they KNEW we existed?

CIVIL air patrol or not, we are still a paramilitary organization.

JoeTomasone

For example we went last year to the local amateur radio clubs meeting (with a briefing) & annual radio flea market (small display).  Unfortunately, we didn't get any members with radio comm skills, BUT have hams that are wiling to help us with technical issues and act as radio relays for us IF the need arises.

Most Hams will run away as fast as possible when they see what our Comms program has become is.   Can't use their radios, can't build infrastructure, rigid rules on what can be done.... That's not what made them hams.   I doubt that I could be recruited today on that basis.

Generally speaking, when I do talk to people about CAP, I speak to whatever sense of volunteerism and patriotism they have.    If they have neither of those, they are unlikely to see CAP as an organization worth supporting on its own (absent external factors such as a child in the program, etc).    I'm sure that if you talk to the current members, those two factors rank high as to why they joined or why they stay.

I also stress that there's something for almost anyone to do -- age, mobility, schedule, and distance are either non-issues or could be made so.

wuzafuzz

Quote from: JoeTomasone on February 21, 2009, 07:31:12 PM
For example we went last year to the local amateur radio clubs meeting (with a briefing) & annual radio flea market (small display).  Unfortunately, we didn't get any members with radio comm skills, BUT have hams that are wiling to help us with technical issues and act as radio relays for us IF the need arises.

Most Hams will run away as fast as possible when they see what our Comms program has become is.   Can't use their radios, can't build infrastructure, rigid rules on what can be done.... That's not what made them hams.   I doubt that I could be recruited today on that basis.

You are correct most hams will likely avoid CAP on the basis of comm only, but there are still some who might want to come and play. Combining their technical knowledge with other functions can prove quite interesting.  Others will still enjoy comm.  ARES/RACES isn't the right fit for all hams, even those interested in emergency communications.  Your mileage may vary.  So...ham clubs may still produce some valuable recruiting opportunities.  You may even find hams with interest in other CAP jobs.   :)
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

arajca

With the demise of the Morse code requirements, there are a lot of new hams who are basically appliance operators, just like CAP personnel. They MAY have some more technical knowledge, but not much. I have heard much griping from older hams about these new hams. Typically followed by warnings from wiser hams to go lightly on the new hams, since they are the future of amatuer radio.

Stonewall

See attached flyer.

This is from my old squadron in DCWG, but we made about 1,000 copies of this and plastered it around Northern Virginia.  10 libraries (with permission), schools, neighborhoods, community centers...heck, I'd keep a stack in my car and if I saw a kid that fit the profile I'd hand one to him.

Send out 100 flyers and you're likely to get 2 perspective members.  Send out 1,000 and you may get 20.  Sounds like a lot of work for a handful of new members, but think about it in percentages.  If you have 15 active members and you recruit 5 out of this effort?  You just increased in size by 33%. 

Edit to add...

I found an article I wrote for the American Legion newsletter a few months after the attached flyer was sent out.  See the results for yourself.

Fairfax  Squadron Grows

On December 1st, the Fairfax Squadron of the Civil Air Patrol (CAP) which meets at the Legion on Monday nights, grew by 7 new cadets.  After spending nine weeks in Training Flight, the 7 newly promoted airmen crossed over to Alpha Flight, the senior flight at Fairfax.

Training Flight, or T-Flight as it's called, is CAP's version of basic military training.  For over 9 weeks, new cadets are trained in all aspects of CAP's cadet program to include military customs and courtesies, proper wear of the uniform, military drill, and history of the CAP and Air Force.  Parents, family members, and friends turned out for the ceremony which happened 62 years from the day that the Civil Air Patrol was created.

Fairfax Squadron has grown in the past year.  From an average of 8 cadets per meeting, and about 3 adult members, to 20 cadets and 12 seniors at the weekly meeting following the graduation ceremony.  Adult members, called seniors, range in age from 21 to over 60 and volunteer their time to supporting the program.  All of whom wear CAP's distinctive military uniform.

Fairfax Squadron's next training flight will begin on January 26th during the regular Monday night meetings which last from 7:00 to 9:15 p.m.  For more information, visit the squadron's new website at www.fairfaxsquadron.org.

Written by:
Lt Col Kirt Bowden

Serving since 1987.

RiverAux

I agree that if you have an active program your senior membership will grow based on word of mouth and occassional visitors.  The key is that if you have a good program you have a decent chance of getting anyone that walks in the door to sign up.  If you aren't having decent meetings, it won't matter how good your recruiter is. 

Couple the active program with a half-way efficient public affairs program and you should do so fine in generating enough walk-ins to grow. 

Now, if you're looking for a large infusion of new people at once, I've never found a really effective way to do that with seniors.  Airshows and the like work for some.

wingnut55

You can recruit  1,000 but at the end of 3 years your down to maybe 100 so what is happening, NHQ does not want to know because it is NHQ that runs people off. Then you have the pecking order of Wing, Group and Squadron. And I mean pecking. I have forgotten how idiotic it is to be around officers who are pencil pushing, self flagellating, Napoleon want-a- be.

I got that from a 3,000 hour (high time) pilot.

But we survive and remake our self over and over, maybe it is because we always have to wait for that brick wall hard headed Napoleon type to die !! That is on every level in the pecking order.

RiverAux

Every person I know that has left has been a result of some sort of failure on the local level.  The only time I know that we lose people because of national is when they increase training standards to a level some people aren't interested in attaining. 

jimmydeanno

We've found that targeted recruiting for each demographic we're looking for helps tremendously.  Our flying program was dwindling away rather quickly.  One of our seniors (a retired 20 year AF recruiter) helped this tremedously.  We took out an advertisement at the local airport cafe that said "Volunteer Pilots Needed" with our contact information.

We went to a local fly-in and set up a tent, with the express purpose of recruiting a certain type of individual. (Of course we talked to others that were interested, but that wasn't the goal at the time.)  Here we are a year later and we have 10 new CFI(I)s, a few low time private pilots, and a vibrant program that is on the verge of getting us a second airframe at our unit. 

The next effort was to get some more indians for our cadet chiefs to work with.  We hit some local youth events, etc.  Last year we recruited aproximately 30 cadets and still have them today.

Of course, none of them would stick around if there wasn't anything to come to - which is one of the things that I try and make sure of. 

What a lot of people neglect to keep in mind is that our members are our customers.  As with any other customer, if the competition has a better product, they'll shop there.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill