Main Menu

Lost Records

Started by RedFox24, January 29, 2009, 03:21:38 PM

RedFox24

OK looking for input, serious only please, on this problem.  This post is part vent and part just talking out loud.  Has anyone else been screwed like this?  Maybe screwed is the wrong word, but its how I feel.

So that everyone understands I went from a Group HQ, to a Wing HQ and now back to a Group HQ.  Over that four year time frame, the Group I started with merged with another Group and became a Group all its own to which I am now a member.  Confused?  Well so am I but anyway.............

In this transfer back and forth and merger etc et al.  my personnel records are MIA.  Gone.  Vanished.  Disappeared.  Nonexistent.  And so far, no one seems to know whom had them last, where they were last etc.  So minus a few copies of various forms and such, I have nothing for the last four years in the program.  My current Group Commander is working on this/helping me try to get this worked out, but I have lost just about everything to document things PD wise as well as things I did previously for awards and promotions.  I have copies of *most* of my file prior to the musical HQ dance.  My question is:  With four years of "work" gone, is it worth it to reconstruct the years prior and move on, say screw it and start all over, or say screw it and just not even try to do anything other than what I am "credited" for on E services. 

To say the least I have a pretty low opinion of PD in CAP right now, not to mention the low opinion I have of Admin and Personnel officers in general.....................and a just pretty low opinion of the entire program.  I have shook my head at CAP in the past, but his is as low as I have ever been with the program in 30 years. 
Contrarian and Curmudgeon at Large

"You can tell a member of National Headquarters but you can't tell them much!"

Just say NO to NESA Speak.

PlaneFlyr

Quote from: RedFox24 on January 29, 2009, 03:21:38 PM
OK looking for input, serious only please, on this problem.  This post is part vent and part just talking out loud.  Has anyone else been screwed like this?  Maybe screwed is the wrong word, but its how I feel.

So that everyone understands I went from a Group HQ, to a Wing HQ and now back to a Group HQ.  Over that four year time frame, the Group I started with merged with another Group and became a Group all its own to which I am now a member.  Confused?  Well so am I but anyway.............

In this transfer back and forth and merger etc et al.  my personnel records are MIA.  Gone.  Vanished.  Disappeared.  Nonexistent.  And so far, no one seems to know whom had them last, where they were last etc.  So minus a few copies of various forms and such, I have nothing for the last four years in the program.  My current Group Commander is working on this/helping me try to get this worked out, but I have lost just about everything to document things PD wise as well as things I did previously for awards and promotions.  I have copies of *most* of my file prior to the musical HQ dance.  My question is:  With four years of "work" gone, is it worth it to reconstruct the years prior and move on, say screw it and start all over, or say screw it and just not even try to do anything other than what I am "credited" for on E services. 

To say the least I have a pretty low opinion of PD in CAP right now, not to mention the low opinion I have of Admin and Personnel officers in general.....................and a just pretty low opinion of the entire program.  I have shook my head at CAP in the past, but his is as low as I have ever been with the program in 30 years. 
I hate to hear about situations like this.  But unfortunately, it happens occasionally. 

I'm assuming you're talking with the varioius people who held Pers/Admin positions in the groups during that time.  Best bet might be to talk with the Pers/Admin Off who had it 4 years ago, and ask who they gave it to.... then talk with that person, etc. 

If that doesn't work, talk to current group/wing commander, provide them a listing of as many things as you can remember that need documented.  For some items, class attendance and such, you may be able to find the appropriate POC and get a roster copy.  Most group/wing commanders should be willing to sign a letter stating that the list of items you provided is accurate to the best of their knowledge.  It's not a great answer, but I've had to do that when I was a sqdn CC and had members move to a new area and lose their folders.

Good luck.
Lt Col Todd Engelman, CAP
Historian
President of the Medal of Valor Association

Pylon

Courses completed like CLC, SLS, TLC, UCC, ECI-13, etc should be recorded in E-Services.  E-Services should also record your current grade and date of grade (effective promotion date for TIG) and any encampments and NCSA's attended and specialty ratings earned.

Things you might be missing that aren't recorded in E-Services would be 2A's for ribbons, though most activity and service ribbons require approval at higher levels (wing commander or his designee); strictly speaking, those echelons should be keeping correspondence and action item files where copies of this paperwork was kept as it processed through wing HQ.  In reality, I don't know how many Wing HQ's actually do this.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

LtCol Hooligan

I agree with Pylon on this, the most important records you have are kept on-line.  Those are keys to proving you did items.  In my opinion, the rest of the forms in your file are all fluff to show you earned ribbons and bling or to show you attended certain activities that are honestly, not as important in relation to your PD career.  All of your PD courses and even your specialty tracks will be on-line.  If they are not, you might need to redo them, or go through them with your cc to get approval for them.  You may have to start over at a tech rating, but there are worse things.  So my advice- look at your on-line PD records and use them as a base.  From there, work with the commander to get any missing ratings up to date and finally start working on any advanced levels you need to accomplish.
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

Duke Dillio

My initial response would be to have whoever the Personnel Officer is check the "To be destroyed" file for your records.  Someone probably had no idea who you were and might have thrown the file there.  You might also check you wing personnel officer.  One of the personnel officers might have found out you were on wing staff and forwarded your file that way.  Just some thoughts on your search.

flyguync

As I tell my troops always keep your own set of records at home or somewhere safe. Dont always count on CAP as in your case things get "lost". My personal personnel file is in a 3" binder and tabbed into 16 sections for quick access.

gistek

In my opinion, if a lost record is important and has not been recorded in e-Services do your best to find it.

Have your e-Services record printed out, and if you feel the need, request the Wing Commander, Executive Officer, or PDO for an affidavit certifying that they are true and correct as of that date.

Then prepare a statement regarding the missing paperwork and have one or more of your superiors (the higher the better) sign it. If you feel the need, you can have this notarized as well.

** Check with a local Notary Public to determine the specific instrument, wording, or format to be used for this last.

tarheel gumby

I have learned from personal experience that keeping a copy of all of my records is always a good idea. Because I have had records get lost, that was a huge pain in the neck to deal with. So now I have a folder with a copy of my pertinent certs and forms.
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

Major Carrales

Quote from: tarheel gumby on January 31, 2009, 05:31:56 PM
I have learned from personal experience that keeping a copy of all of my records is always a good idea. Because I have had records get lost, that was a huge pain in the neck to deal with. So now I have a folder with a copy of my pertinent certs and forms.

Records often get lost when unit's move or have a huge turnover of Staff Officers.  It should not be the natural state of affairs, however, it can be prevent by implmeneting a squadron SOP that is not dependent on who is in command or which officers take the position.

All to often units exist and function solely on the work of one or two people with the rest assisting and, in some cases, the flyers being only that, taking no staff positions.  Thus, when the one or two folks making sure the show is running correctly vanish due to personal or other reasons...the unit falls apart.

While some think the idea is too "corny," the idea of "legacy" officers (those that pass on to the posterity of the Unit the traditional, operational and functional legacy of a unit) and the continued "squadron maintenance" (continued professional development where staff positions are always maintain at least two officers deep...i.e. a Stafety officer and Assistant, Personnel Officer and assistant et al and the unit is work out to be staffed as much as possible) are key to insuring the future of a unit.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Gunner C

I was a personnel officer when my former unit moved.  I took great pains to ensure that all records were preserved and moved to the new location.  Even with a great deal of care and supervision, there was group of historical records that got lost.  Someone may have thought that since these people were inactive that their records could be destroyed.  No one was being a jerk but it still happens.  Hopefully your records will turn up somewhere.