How common is new recruits being unintentionally intimidated?

Started by AvroArrow, January 23, 2009, 10:21:23 PM

AvroArrow

My squadron has recruits about 5-6 people in the least month. Two of them are quickly deciding to completely drop the program and not send in their CAPF 15s (they've yet to send them because they're still testing CAP, understandably) because they've gotten intimidated by marching, taking care of a uniform, and a (false idea of) commitment to the miltary when joining CAP.

I've called them both as their Sergeant and attempted to help them understand that there's no commitment to the military though you need to adhere to military bearing in CAP (especialy as a cadet). Also, since they are interested into AE and SAR/ES, they also don't understand why they have to do drill and take care of a uniform; both say, "Marching and uniforms won't save people or help fly planes."

They're good people and I'd hate to see them go. Like anyone, a little work could be done and their diligence would probably sky-rocket. But we, the cadet staff, need to first persuade them to stay.

Any tips?
Avro

P.S.
We also just had a squadron banquet this past Tuesday which was boring for them since they were extremely new, only two meetings under their belts. But I digress  ::)

lordmonar

Sometimes you just have to let them go.

The cadet progrom is all about marching and taking care of unifroms....at least at the beginning.  If these guys are not ready for that don't waste your time on them.  You can spend a lot of time trying to win over people...they may stay or they may just bolt after six months.

What you need to make sure you are doing is how you "SELL" CAP.

If you are selling the ES and Flying aspect of it and not stressing that it is primarily a Leadership Labratory then you are selling the wrong part of the Cadet Program.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: AvroArrow on January 23, 2009, 10:21:23 PM
"Marching and uniforms won't save people or help fly planes."

Discipline and attention to detail are crucial to effective SAR

MIKE

I'd rather have them find out it's not for them before they send the check in, than after.  

You'd have to look objectively to see if something is broken within your own unit that is driving them away.  Without seeing what your meeting is like, I can't make a judgment on what is overly hardcore and intimidating... and what is boring.  But I have seen a lot of both in my time.  Cadet units do tend toward both overly hardcore "false militarism"... and also aspects of the program that are just plain yawn fests.

Mike Johnston

GoofyOne

Don't discount the cadets as a deterrant.  I have seen it happen.  Believe it or not there are clicks in CAP. If a cadet doesn't like the appearance or anything else about a potential new member they can scare them off real quick.
Also, there is a lot of questions for a new member and they need someone they can trust to give them the information they need.  A good, sincere, recruiting officer can do that. 
I always gave a new cadet a cd with various bits of info.  A cadet in our squadron put together a "Dummies" guide to help them get started.  This was good for the new cadet and the parent that had lots of questions to.

Stonewall

Bringing in cadets together as a group on specific dates and forming a Training Flight, or "T-Flight" for short, can alleviate drop outs to an extent.  Some folks just weren't cut out for CAP and that's completely normal.  I'd rather someone be turned away for disliking uniforms or D&C than because the squadron was disfunctional or inept.

To a potential cadet, especially a younger one (12, 13), simply witnessing other "kids" their own age saying "yes sir", "no ma'am" and " Yes SAR-GENNNT" can be intimidating.  Other things like saluting, uniform inspections and being held accountable are not the norm for your average 7th or 8th grader.

I kid you not, true story; after my orientation meeting for CAP in January 1987, I got dropped off by my mom with my neighbor.  We had to wear blue jeans, polo shirt and belt as our "T-Flight uniform".  We were about 2 minutes late and as we walked up to the classroom we heard C/TSgt Rhodes barking the cadet oath in demonstration to three other basic cadets.  We were intimidated so much that we turned around and hid until after the meeting.  My mom picked me up and asked how the meeting was and we told her what happened.  The following week she walked us up to the DCC and handed us over.

AND I WANTED TO BE THERE!
Serving since 1987.

tarheel gumby

Having potential cadets attend at least 3 meetings, along with their parents meeting with the DCC is what my squadron dose. I insisted on something similar when I was acting DCC in another squadron, I wanted to meet the parents and explain the program.
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

Major Carrales

We are not in the business of "tricking" people into membership or trying to produce unrealistic "quantity."  People have to want to be there.  Forcing, coercing or "obligating" people to be in the program is counter productive.

They have to "want to be there," "make it their own" and "buy into it. (as in emotional investment)"  That is when its fun, it must never be a "burden," be it for some cadet who is overburdered by a full schedule or a Squadron Commander "doing it all, alone."
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

RogueLeader

Quote from: Major Carrales on January 24, 2009, 03:03:17 AM
They have to "want to be there," "make it their own" and "buy into it.

I did buy into it.  I've dropped untolds amount of money into it.  What more do you expect.

Seriously  :angel: :angel: :angel:
My Army buddies don't understand the concept that I pay in- willingly even- in order to volunteer.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

JohnKachenmeister

We are traditionally a military organization.  We are the ONLY military auxiliary with a battle history.  Drill, uniforms, military courtesy, military customs, are all a part of out heritage.  They are part the values that bind us as a group, and they are all a part of the honor of being allowed to wear the uniform of the US Air Force.

If they don't want to participate on that basis, wish them luck and part friends.
Another former CAP officer

JayT

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 24, 2009, 10:37:31 PM
We are traditionally a military organization.  We are the ONLY military auxiliary with a battle history.  Drill, uniforms, military courtesy, military customs, are all a part of out heritage.  They are part the values that bind us as a group, and they are all a part of the honor of being allowed to wear the uniform of the US Air Force.

If they don't want to participate on that basis, wish them luck and part friends.

We don't agree on much it appears sir, but that was one of the best posts I've ever read.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

gistek

You've taken care of the commitment to the military.

Drill and Ceremony are extremely important to SAR/ES.

Marching drill helps ES team members learn to work together. It also teaches followership, the vital first step to learning leadership. Even if a person doesn't want to be a Ground Team Leader, they may find themselves needing leadership skills when dealing with victims and untrained volunteers in an ES situation.

Ceremony, procedures and protocol are an important part of the Incident Command structure. Rules and regs help define tasks and relationships. This is important when the SAR is a CAP only mission, but absolutely essential when multiple agencies are involved. This includes proper care of both the service and the utility uniforms. The uniform makes a lot of difference in how you are treated by members of other SAR (including other CAP units) groups at an incident.

A properly cared for uniform lasts much longer than one just tossed in the corner between meetings. Sure, a cadet will probably outgrow it, but most units will exchange a good condition item for a larger size. This saves about $80.00 for the service uniform and $50.00 for the BDU. Polished boots last longer and are more waterproof than unpolished boots.

On the other side of the coin, I've seen units that spend a lot of time on drill and ES, and just fit the AE and leadership in where it's convenient. If that's the case with your unit, take a look at the 13-week schedule in the Cadet Programs guide.

Two hours a week really isn't enough time to do everything, but that's all most of us have. To make up for that, you can pair the new cadets up with mentors that are just a few steps ahead of them in the program and are interested in the same activities.

JoeTomasone

Drill builds teamwork, teaches discipline, and fosters the concept of performing as a unit instead of as an individual.   When you are in formation, his mistake is your mistake and vice-versa, and you learn to help each other correct them.    These are vital concepts towards accomplishing any mission.

However, your basic non-member 12 year old likely will not appreciate these concepts.   I'd basically explain it by saying something like, "Drill, the uniform, the saluting, and all -- you're right, it doesn't directly help with saving people or flying planes - but it DOES help teach you to look professional and work as a team.   Look at it this way - does drill and saluting help fight a war?" (Recruit says, "NO!") "Well, then why does every branch of the military still do it?  There must be a reason, right?"

Also, most Cadets/Recruits will be more likely to undertake a given (distasteful) task if given its context within the mission - so if the Recruit seems like they can make the leap from Drill to Teamwork to Mission, then by all means explain it.   It depends on the maturity level of the Recruit.

Sadly, 12 year olds today cannot simply be given the old, "Remember when Mr. Miyagi had Daniel paint the fence?" analogy...   That made life a lot easier.    :)