Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2018, 11:14:14 AM
Home Help Login Register
News:

CAP Talk  |  General Discussion  |  Announcements  |  Topic: Greetings!
Pages: [1] 2  All Print
Author Topic: Greetings!  (Read 17133 times)
whatevah
Administrator

my personal website, yo!
« on: February 07, 2005, 10:19:14 PM »

Hey beta-testers, thanks for helping us out and taking a look around, but since this is a testing thing, keep it under your hat. Lt Kieloch and I will take care of the invitations. ;)

Feel free to leave your comments and suggestions for board ideas.  We want to keep the board selection small for the site launch, and expand as the activity warrants.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2005, 12:22:41 AM by whatevah » Logged
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin
Briski
Forum Regular

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 12:13:44 AM »

Feel free to leave your comments and suggestions for board ideas.
I feel so free! ;D

The font size is smaller than most websites, especially for the itty bitty tiny little links up top to go back to the other forums. I don't have much trouble with it, but hopefully we'll get enough interest from people all across the nation to get some saltier SMs who are becoming sand-blind. Or perhaps even gravel-blind, in some cases. (I love using Shakespearian words.)

But then again, I'm sure there are 12-year-old Cadets who are smaller than the font...
JACKIE M. BRISKI, Capt, CAP
VAWG Cadet Programs Team

...not all those who wander are lost...
elkorona
Recruit

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 12:17:34 AM »

I feel so free! ;D

The font size is smaller than most websites, especially for the itty bitty tiny little links up top to go back to the other forums. I don't have much trouble with it, but hopefully we'll get enough interest from people all across the nation to get some saltier SMs who are becoming sand-blind. Or perhaps even gravel-blind, in some cases. (I love using Shakespearian words.)

But then again, I'm sure there are 12-year-old Cadets who are smaller than the font...

You're not free, there is no such thing, you're views are not welcommed, jeez...
Lt Col Elliott Korona, CAP
Deputy Director, Civic Leadership Academy
Briski
Forum Regular

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005, 12:19:53 AM »

You're not free, there is no such thing, you're views are not welcommed, jeez...
The good Technical Flight Officer told me to feel free, so I feel free. Free, indeed.
VAWG Cadet Programs Team

Pylon
Administrator

Unit: NER-NH-038

Michael Kieloch, Marketing Communications & PR Leadership
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 12:53:01 AM »

I feel so free! ;D

Agreed, about the font size.  Thanks for the input.   What do you think of the newly-increased font size on the board?  Better?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP
Concord Composite Squadron, NH       
Briski
Forum Regular

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2005, 01:03:18 AM »

Agreed, about the font size.  Thanks for the input.   What do you think of the newly-increased font size on the board?  Better?
I do think it's better now. Should be easier for those SMs who have been in CAP longer than I've been alive... 8)
VAWG Cadet Programs Team

whatevah
Administrator

my personal website, yo!
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2005, 02:17:45 AM »

oh, and a bonus for you'se guinea pigs...

if you want to add a javascript thing to your sig (like for the random images) use this... 
Code: [Select]
   [jscript]http://www.server.com/filename.js[/jscript]  that's the only way it'll work. trust me.

abuse it and die! :D
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin
SarDragon
Global Moderator

Unit: NAVAIRPAC

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2005, 04:48:29 AM »

I do think it's better now. Should be easier for those SMs who have been in CAP longer than I've been alive... 8)
Watch it Jackie, you're treading on thin dirt here!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret
CAPSGT
Global Moderator

Unit: MER-MD-086

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2005, 05:49:01 AM »

haha, I may be a senior member now, but at least I can't say that I've been in CAP for longer than some cadets have been alive..........not yet at least.  That's another 3 and a half years down the road.
MICHAEL A. CROCKETT, Lt Col, CAP
Assistant Communications Officer, Wicomico Composite Squadron
Pylon
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2005, 05:56:10 AM »

haha, I may be a senior member now, but at least I can't say that I've been in CAP for longer than some cadets have been alive..........not yet at least.  That's another 3 and a half years down the road.

I believe it's one of the milestones for Senior Members.   8)
dwb
Salty & Seasoned Contributor

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2005, 08:18:03 AM »

I like the L&F of the SMF forums.

Is this web site meant to be something beyond discussion forums?  Are there going to be articles, or a photo gallery?

Also, and I'm sure you've already started, but you might want to have a good ROE in place before you let the hounds loose on the site.  What level of moderation do you expect, and who will be enforcing that?

Just some thoughts.  Site looks good so far.
Pylon
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2005, 08:55:55 AM »

Thank you for your comments!

Certainly, the forums will eventually add features.  On the waitlist, are features such as a calendar and photo gallery.  These, however, will not be deployed until the forums start gaining more frequent traffic.  Too many features at first, with too few users, will spread things very thinly and prevent a good, core community from developing.

We will have an ROE in place before we go public.  The ROE for the Marketplace trading is already posted there, and a forum-wide one will be posted to the Announcements section soon.  We want to encourage open discussion and free thought on the forums, but we will moderate them and censor, lock, and delete as necessary.  We are aiming for a PG/PG-13 level of content, therefore, we will be moderating inappropriate things.  Otherwise, the administration and moderating will be behind-the-scenes or facilitating new discussions.

I appreciate the comments and suggestions!  Thank you for helping to preview the forums, and I'm looking forward to any more feedback you might have!  :)
Briski
Forum Regular

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2005, 11:31:36 AM »

What? I didn't mention you by name, Sir... ;D  Anyway, you aren't old, Sir. You're experienced.

By the way, the double quotes are cool, but they may be a litte confusing for first time internet forum users. Of course, it's been a few years since I was a first time internet forum user, so maybe it won't be that big of a deal.

It also took me a little bit to figure out that the Topic Summary goes from most recent to least recent (top to bottom.) Nothing necessarily wrong with that, just another part of the 'site that caused confusion for my lowly C/Capt mind...

Lt Kieloch, you mentioned that the administration and moderating will include "facilitating new discussions." I think that's a good idea, because if you don't get any responses to the discussions you're trying to create in a given forum, it will offer instant feedback that people aren't interested in that forum. Well, that, or it'll let you know that you aren't so good at facilitating discussions in that field, but I think we'll just go with the aforementioned. ;D
VAWG Cadet Programs Team

Pylon
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2005, 03:35:03 AM »

It also took me a little bit to figure out that the Topic Summary goes from most recent to least recent (top to bottom.) Nothing necessarily wrong with that, just another part of the 'site that caused confusion for my lowly C/Capt mind...

Whether the topics and lists are sorted from most recent to oldest, or oldest to most recent is a personal option in the forums.  You can find it by clicking on your profile button, and going through the appearance settings.

Lt Kieloch, you mentioned that the administration and moderating will include "facilitating new discussions." I think that's a good idea, because if you don't get any responses to the discussions you're trying to create in a given forum, it will offer instant feedback that people aren't interested in that forum. Well, that, or it'll let you know that you aren't so good at facilitating discussions in that field, but I think we'll just go with the aforementioned. ;D

Thanks.  It's something that I feel will help the forum get moving and become active in the beginning.  Hopefully after a little while, planting topics and seeds for conversations won't be necessary and the forum will be bustling with plenty of its own, self-generated activity.

I appreciate the comments, as always.  ;)
Greg
Forum Regular

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2005, 02:02:09 PM »

I like the look and feel of these forums, but I really miss the way you can skip right to the new post(s) on CadetStuff  :'(  :-\
C/Maj Greg(ory) Boyajian, CAP
Air Victory Museum Composite Squadron
Pylon
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2005, 02:07:59 PM »

We'll be adding that feature before we go public, no worries!  I miss it, too!   :)

Greg
Forum Regular

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2005, 02:20:26 PM »

We'll be adding that feature before we go public, no worries!  I miss it, too!   :)

Awesome!
C/Maj Greg(ory) Boyajian, CAP
Air Victory Museum Composite Squadron
Yoda

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2005, 04:24:04 PM »

One thing I really like about this forum is very similar to what I like about CS.  It doesn't go overboard with the amount of material.  CAPBoard definitely had that problem.  I almost think CS has too many topics at times also, but it's certainly not an issue.  I think this site has a nice balance in that regard.

Other than that, I'm going to keep playing around with the features and see what else there is to be done.
Yoda

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2005, 05:41:27 PM »

I've played around with a lot of features, and I do like the board overall.  I was amused by the stats section where they actually go so far as to measure the men/women ratio  ::).  One of the things that would be nice is HTML allowed in the sigs.  Unfortunately, that apparently is a limitation of the software.  Overall, two thumbs (and my big toe) up!
Briski
Forum Regular

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2005, 11:43:06 PM »

Overall, two thumbs (and my big toe) up!
What happened to your other big toe, C/UB Fenner?
VAWG Cadet Programs Team

Pages: [1] 2  All Print 
CAP Talk  |  General Discussion  |  Announcements  |  Topic: Greetings!