Silver Medal of Valor

Started by BillB, January 08, 2009, 10:41:22 AM

major pain

The medals of valor are controlled by national, and only available for purchase by awardees after confermation by national membership services workers.

(and they are cheaper then similar items at vanguard thanks to the low production numbers)
Lt Col Rp Kraatz, CAP
Inspector General
Kansas Wing (KSWG-01)

Timbo

Quote from: major pain on January 10, 2009, 06:24:36 PM
(and they are cheaper then similar items at vanguard thanks to the low production numbers)

Shouldn't that be the other way around??  Limited runnings are often more expensive than items that are produced more frequently.  UNLESS NHQ had 1,000 of the SMV produced then had the mold destroyed, it should cost more to produce maybe 3 SMV's a year as opposed to 150 Mitchell's.  Taking into account overhead, inventory material cost etc. 

D2SK

After reading this silly thread I've decided that most of you have way too much free time on your hands.   ::)  It's amazing how many internet "experts" there are out there.
Lighten up, Francis.

Hawk200

Quote from: D2SK on January 10, 2009, 07:21:40 PM
After reading this silly thread I've decided that most of you have way too much free time on your hands.   ::)  It's amazing how many internet "experts" there are out there.

So you have nothing useful, but thought slamming the posters here was a valid use of your own free time?

We have many discussions on this board that each person feels very strongly about. Diminishing peoples' feelings on the matters isn't going to make you any friends. Or is that what you were trying to accomplish?

Pylon

Quote from: Timbo on January 10, 2009, 04:00:46 PM
Instead of spending money on a neck drape, perhaps a section on the national website with a picture of the person who received the SMV and the citation.  That would be more neat than drapes.

+1! 

The medals of valor are controlled by national, and only available for purchase by awardees after confermation by national membership services workers.

Or you can just buy them from The Hock on the website, SKU# 6548.  No confirmation needed.  YMMV. 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

RiverAux

I'm not at all a fan of all the doodads we can put on CAP uniforms, but this seems like a fairly sensible proposal to me.  Wouldn't be the top thing on my to-do list, but I think it worthwhile to consider.

AlphaSigOU

True, because the official stock of medals and ribbons of the SMV/BMV was probably purchased long ago.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Hawk200

As far as making a neck decoration out of the SMV, what purpose does it serve? What problem does this provide a solution to?

If it's to make the SMV or even the BMV more distinctive, we could do that by eliminating a lot of our gratuitous pseudo medals. Make only decorations as medals, not every award that CAP has. It would be cheaper for the membership overall as well. Most of those mini medals run almost seven bucks apiece. Medals would be more distinctive, and the membership in general doesn't pay a bunch for "decorations" with far less meaning.

It has been mentioned that we are not the military. So why do we need to convert CAP's highest decoration into a neck decoration like the military?

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Hawk200 on January 11, 2009, 12:10:57 PMIt has been mentioned that we are not the military. So why do we need to convert CAP's highest decoration into a neck decoration like the military?

Exactly... what is it with this obsession with 'neck rash?'  (What the WWII German military derisively called those who were obsessed with earning the Ritterkreuz der Eisernes Kreuz (Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross) and its exalted degrees above the basic neck decoration.)

Even the Medal of Honor, up until WWII was only worn as a humble suspension medal like everyone else.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

ColonelJack

Quote from: Hawk200 on January 11, 2009, 12:10:57 PM
As far as making a neck decoration out of the SMV, what purpose does it serve? What problem does this provide a solution to?

While I might agree with you in theory here, it stands to reason that every new idea doesn't necessarily have to solve a problem.  Sometimes they're just good ideas.

If it's to make the SMV or even the BMV more distinctive, we could do that by eliminating a lot of our gratuitous pseudo medals. Make only decorations as medals, not every award that CAP has. It would be cheaper for the membership overall as well. Most of those mini medals run almost seven bucks apiece. Medals would be more distinctive, and the membership in general doesn't pay a bunch for "decorations" with far less meaning.

I like that idea.  All the decorations, of course, should have corresponding medals -- and why, I wonder, don't we have full-size medals for the ESA, MSA, CC, NatCC, and LS, anyway?  I know we'd never have the opportunity to wear them apart from the day they're presented, but that's what shadowboxes are for.  The top three cadet awards should have medals, and I'd say the Garber and Wilson awards should also have medals.

It has been mentioned that we are not the military. So why do we need to convert CAP's highest decoration into a neck decoration like the military?

The neck decoration is used by many other organizations outside of the military.  I'm just sayin' ...

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

ltcmark

I would be honored to wear the SMV as a neck medal.  I do not think that there is anything wrong with showcasing CAP's highest award.

Here is a picture of one of my Lieutenant's wearing a German military award, notice this is a neck award.  He is the one on the right.  Before anyone says anything, yes it is authorized, it can be worn on the USAF uniform and this was awareded to him while in the Air Force.  The Colonel in the center is Leo Thorsness who received his MOH during Vietnam.   Col Thorsness thought the German award was really nice.

There are many organizations that have a Medal of Valor.  Here is a good website:  http://www.medalofvalor.com/

Timbo

^ So what award is that?  My eyes are not as good as they used to be........is it:
    * Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany
    * Bundeswehr Crosses & Medal of Honor

CAPNHQ told one of my Seniors in '99 that he could not wear foreign decorations.  Maybe that changed. 

IceNine

Not true.

39-3 section A,4.

WHICH was written in '98.  Doesn't matter what NHQ said they were wrong.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

ltcmark

Quote from: Timbo on January 12, 2009, 03:41:29 AM
^ So what award is that?  My eyes are not as good as they used to be........is it:
    * Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany
    * Bundeswehr Crosses & Medal of Honor

I believe it is the Order of Merit.

James Shaw

Some of the replies in this thread make it seem as though anyone who has been awarded the SMV or BMV are trying to equate their award with that of the MOH or any other high level award for the military. I have talked to dozens of recipients and have never been given that impression from anyone. Not one of the recipients has ever tried to say that their acts were equal to or just as important as anothers. I feel that each individual who has been awarded either of the Medals of Valor should be treated independently  and not compared to others. The biggest part of this is I was not there and do not know what happened that caused them to be nominated so why should I worry about it. I know there have been cases in the recent past that have stained other recipients. We as members cant help this, we have to accept it and move on.

The recent recinding of the SMV of prior members has hurt those who have earned it previously and those who may deserve it in the future. Other members began to question others awards based on a small sampling of the activities we have been involved in. It almost seems like we should be ashamed to be associated with the SMV or BMV and that it would be boasting or putting it into someones face to wear it in any form. I disagree with this because I have still not met anyone who has tried to shove this in my face. I have never had a recipient introduce themselves as "I'm Major Ego and I have the Silver Medal of Valor" what do you have?

I am a recipient of the SMV and am very proud of this and I will not be shamed into cowarding in the corner and begging for forgiveness for this honor. I am very proud to be associted with Civil Air Patrol and all of my fellow members and those who have been awarded the Medals of Valor. I am also very honored to be associated with other members who have two or three awards and nothing else but a desire to fly search and rescue missions. I dont care about how many ribbons or awards a member may have as long as their intent and work is honorable.

I personally like this neck drape and would not be opposed to its use or wear in an appropriate setting. I would not wake up in the morning and take it off of the nigth stand and wear it while I was getting ready for work....as well I wouldnt take the award and put in in the attic. It is what it is and that is a different way of displaying a pride and honor from an organization that most still are proud to be associated with. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I respect that but it is not necessary to demean others in the process.

My opinion has always been: If you earn it ,than wear it with pride and honor, and honor the organization in everything you do.

My .02$ worth.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Timbo

^ Agree.  However, there is no precedent for the item.  CAP never had them (asking here)?? 

James Shaw

Quote from: Timbo on January 12, 2009, 07:17:21 PM
^ Agree.  However, there is no precedent for the item.  CAP never had them (asking here)?? 

I agree there has been no precedent for the design but that does not mean that things can't change or simply additional options offered.

It is interesting to note that all of the CAP award certificates have a ribbon banner across the page and part of the CAP seal in the middle. The SMV and BMV are the only ones that have a neck drape style design on them.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Timbo

^hmm....I change my vote.  For this award, I would say let them wear it.  Lets see what USAF says. 

RiverAux

That certificate makes me wonder if they originally intended for it to be a awarded on a neck ribbon. 

lordmonar

No...it is just standard military way of doing it.

All of my USAF decorations have the same format and non of my medals were intended to be worn as a neck decoration.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP