The Air Force Regulation Regarding CAP --Must Reading!!!

Started by RADIOMAN015, December 31, 2008, 01:47:10 AM

RADIOMAN015

http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/shared/media/epubs/AFI10-2701.pdf
This is an excellent publication to read, to bring everyone back into reality as to why CAP is here and why the USAF budget & funds support to us.

Notice there's very specific information regarding missions, personnel, uniforms, AF support, etc...

Wonder if anyone on the list have ever requested via FOIA CAP-USAF's Statement of Work and/or Cooperative Agreement?? ???

RM

Major Carrales

Here is the part for those that saw "conspiracy" coming out of the woodwork for the removal of ""USAF Auxiliary" from CAP aviation assets...

Quote2.8. Restrictions on CAP Corporate Activities. Notwithstanding any DoD or Air Force regulation,
policy or agreement, the following specific restrictions apply to CAP's corporate activities.
2.8.1. Air Force Markings. CAP Corporation may not use aircraft and resources that are marked
with "USAF," "USAF Auxiliary," "US Air Force," or similar identifiers to engage in the law enforcement

activities listed in paragraph 2.2.3. of this instruction and its subparagraphs, without prior
approval by USAF/XO.
2.8.2. Intelligence Activities. CAP is not an intelligence organization, has no assigned intelligence
mission, and will not engage in intelligence activities.
2.8.3. Consistent with paragraphs 1.4.3. and 1.4.4., CAP will obtain the reviews described in paragraphs
1.9.4. and 1.9.5. and resolve any aspects disapproved prior to execution of the respective documents.

An interesting read overall indeed.  Very specific.  Should be required reading to all CAPTALK persons.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Pumbaa

But But Sparky it *IS* a conspiracy!!

I know it!!

I put on my tin foil CAP flight cap and the signals I received told me so!

RiverAux

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on December 31, 2008, 01:47:10 AM
This is an excellent publication to read, to bring everyone back into reality as to why CAP is here and why the USAF budget & funds support to us.

Notice there's very specific information regarding missions, personnel, uniforms, AF support, etc...

Wonder if anyone on the list have ever requested via FOIA CAP-USAF's Statement of Work and/or Cooperative Agreement?? ???

RM

Well, considering that CAP has a link to that regulation and also has copies of the Statement of Work and Cooperative Agreement on its website, a FOIA request would be silly.  We've spent quite a bit of time discussing that AF regulation which basically governs how the AF deals with CAP. 

BuckeyeDEJ

QuoteCAP is not an intelligence organization

Waiting for the wise-ass comment in 5... 4... 3... 2...

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Flying Pig

Waiting for the wise-ass comment in 5... 4... 3... 2...

^ Intelligence!!!!  The guy who wrote this publication must be a member with that kind of insider information! ;D :clap: 

OH man....I almost fell out of my chair!

flyguync

Granted we are not out sneeking and peeking but we do gather intelligence for the govt in DR, CD, HLS, etc missions. Gees leave it to the zoomies.

Timbo

So lets not be engaging in Law Enforcement Activities to begin with.  How does the National Guard get around performing LE Activities in aircraft marked "Air Force and Army"??

flyguync

Ive yet to see one of our choppers marked NC Army but I guess its all technical and above my pay grade. Who knows it all depends on whether we're the stepchild of the month or thorn in the rear of someone with stars as to how much we have to stand in the corner I suppose.

Timbo

JohnKachenmeister

The National Guard comes under a different law.

The helicopters have "United States Army" written on the side (although some have an NG seal that can be removed upon mobilization).

The airplanes have "US Air Force" written on them.

The "Not gathering Intelligence" clause is to comply with a 1970's law that forbids DoD agencies from gathering intel in the United States.  We had to sign a statement every year or so that we were not gathering intel on persons in the US.  By the Air Force declaring that we are NOT an intel agency and do not gather any intel at all, we don't have to sign that statement every year.
Another former CAP officer

lordmonar

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on December 31, 2008, 01:47:10 AM

RM

Both of those can be found on the E-service web site.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

wingnut55

I have Flown Archer missions that included briefings from an Active duty JAG (army) who reminded us as to the whole INTEL thing.

DOD is very serious about this, thus the federal Law enforcement agencies spend hundreds of millions on air assets now that gather Law enforcement Intel.

Remember! we are to report unusual activities and not surveil or follow.

JAFO78

Thanks RM. I just downloaded this document to read later today. I love CAP Talk. 
I learn something new every day. Like going to college without paying for it. :)
JAFO

RADIOMAN015

QuoteWell, considering that CAP has a link to that regulation and also has copies of the Statement of Work and Cooperative Agreement on its website, a FOIA request would be silly.  We've spent quite a bit of time discussing that AF regulation which basically governs how the AF deals with CAP. 

Could you please provide the SPECIFIC information as to where on the CAP website the Statement of Work & Cooperative Agreement are hidden?  I can't seem to find these items in e-services.
RM

lordmonar

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on December 31, 2008, 01:38:16 PM
QuoteWell, considering that CAP has a link to that regulation and also has copies of the Statement of Work and Cooperative Agreement on its website, a FOIA request would be silly.  We've spent quite a bit of time discussing that AF regulation which basically governs how the AF deals with CAP. 

Could you please provide the SPECIFIC information as to where on the CAP website the Statement of Work & Cooperative Agreement are hidden?  I can't seem to find these items in e-services.
RM

http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/forms_publications__regulations/other_publications.cfm
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: wingnut55 on December 31, 2008, 10:44:51 AM
I have Flown Archer missions that included briefings from an Active duty JAG (army) who reminded us as to the whole INTEL thing.

DOD is very serious about this, thus the federal Law enforcement agencies spend hundreds of millions on air assets now that gather Law enforcement Intel.

Remember! we are to report unusual activities and not surveil or follow.

Well, sort of...

We CAN fly surveillance missions and follow suspects when we are flying a law enforcement officer who is gathering intel, not us.  In that role we are merely a chauffeur.  We are wearing wings and in a funny green suit, but we are simply providing a platform for the REAL intel gatherer.  

And, providing information on a crime in progress, happened on in a chance encounter on another mission, does not violate any laws, in spite of what some folks may try to tell you.
Another former CAP officer

Smithsonia

I'm watching everybody on this thread and I am very suspicious of each of you.
By the way -- With these rules it's going to be very hard of the Civil Air Patrol to take over the world.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

RADIOMAN015

RM

http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/forms_publications__regulations/other_publications.cfm

Thanks, I see it is on the NEW website and not the old website, therefore, my confusion has been solved.  thank you!!!!!

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: Rob Goodman on December 31, 2008, 11:06:25 AM
Thanks RM. I just downloaded this document to read later today. I love CAP Talk. 
I learn something new every day. Like going to college without paying for it. :)

I fell out of my chair with that last sentence.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student