Presentation of ribbons for awards (for seniors)

Started by RiverAux, December 21, 2008, 05:36:11 PM

When a senior member in your unit earns an award for which a ribbon is authorized, what do they get?

Presented in a ceremony.  They just receive the certificate and/or paperwork and they have to buy the ribbon
20 (25%)
Presented in a ceremony.  They get the certificate and/or paperwork and the ribbon
39 (48.8%)
No ceremony, but does get the certificate/paperwork
21 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Pylon

Quote from: NC Hokie on December 22, 2008, 07:09:39 PM
Quote from: Pylon on December 22, 2008, 05:49:29 PM
As for the presentation itself:  We use an "Attention to Orders" format for one-off awards, when presenting an award or promotion at a regular meeting formation.  The member gets called up in front, while the deputy or another SM reads the "orders" aloud (which includes a sentence or two on why they are receiving their award) and the member does the grip n' grin with the award and commander.

Do you have a copy of those "orders" that you can share?

Sure.  This is what we use for cadet promotions:

Attention to Orders.

In accordance with CAP Regulation 52-16, Cadet Program Management, Section 2-4, Cadet Promotions,
Cadet ___ has completed all of the requirements for the ___ achievement/award.  By the authority of the Squadron Commander, (s)he is promoted to the grade of Cadet __, effective __, ____ 200_.

That format can be pretty much adopted for anything.  Drop in the regulatory reference for the award, drop in the approving authority's title (Squadron, Group, Wing Commander, etc.), the award being given and the effective date. 

At the banquet, as I mentioned earlier, we don't read off "orders" for reasons of expediency (and so everyone doesn't have to keep coming to attention), but the MC reads a narration about each award/promotion as the person is receiving the award and getting their photos taken.  Here's one for a new 2d Lt and a promoted 1st Lt (note that we always include a sentence about that person's special background and/or how they're currently serving the unit):

QuoteThe Squadron Commander has reposed special trust and confidence in the patriotism, valor, fidelity, and professional excellence of [name]. Senior Member [name] is a retired U.S. Marine Corps NCO with a decorated career.  In view of his qualities, his demonstrated leadership potential, and dedicated service to Civil Air Patrol, he is therefore appointed to the grade of Second Lieutenant in accordance with CAP Regulation 35-5 and with an effective date of 1 October 2007.

QuoteThe Squadron Commander has reposed special trust and confidence in the patriotism, valor, fidelity, and professional excellence of Second Lieutenant [name]. Lt. [name] has served the squadron's cadet program as personnel officer for several years and has completed specialty training in the personnel and cadet programs tracks.   In view of these qualities, her demonstrated leadership potential, and dedicated service to Civil Air Patrol, she is therefore promoted to the grade of First Lieutenant in accordance with CAP Regulation 35-5 and with an effective date of 1 October 2007.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Gunner C

As for the presentation itself:  We use an "Attention to Orders" format for one-off awards, when presenting an award or promotion at a regular meeting formation.  The member gets called up in front, while the deputy or another SM reads the "orders" aloud (which includes a sentence or two on why they are receiving their award) and the member does the grip n' grin with the award and commander.

Do you have a copy of those "orders" that you can share?  Also, can anyone point me towards certificates for the cadet and senior awards that do not come with certificates from NHQ?

Promotion:

"ATTENTION TO ORDERS: (everyone stands at attention)

"The Civil Air Patrol has reposed special trust and confidence in the integrity, fidelity, and valor in (Current Rank, First/MI/Last Name).  He/she is therefore promoted to (New Rank) with the date of rank of (day/month/year)."  (The commander with one other such as a spouse, significant other, supervisor puts on the new insignia of rank).

Commander:  Please be seated.

If there are multiples that night, then insert "the following named individuals".

For Awards:

"The following individuals are recognized:

Rank/Name     Award     Dates of Service for Award (If Applicable)
The award is pinned on/certificate given

For Decorations

"The Civil Air Patrol has awarded the (fill in the decoration) to (Rank/Name) for (read "meaty portion" of the citation).  (Rank/Last Name) has performed in the finest traditions of the XX Wing and the Civil Air Patrol."  Signed (First Name, Last Name, Rank,) Civil Air Patrol, Commander"  (Bestow the Certificate)

Remember that you need a narrator with a strong voice.

Gunner

PaulR

SarDragon

Quote from: PaulR on December 23, 2008, 02:06:04 AM
Quote from: Short Field on December 22, 2008, 06:43:49 AM
^^^Please define "merit badge" ribbons.

Ribbons awarded for course/level completion.

I don't view level completion as a merit badge type award. It takes a lot of time and work to complete Levels III through V. While Levels I and II take less time and work, they are milestones no less important than those of the cadet program, and deserve some recognition.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Short Field

Quote from: PaulR on December 23, 2008, 02:06:04 AM
Quote from: Short Field on December 22, 2008, 06:43:49 AM
^^^Please define "merit badge" ribbons.

Ribbons awarded for course/level completion.

The only course completion award that springs to mind is the Yeager Award.  If you want people to commit the time and effort to achieve a higher level in professional development, you really need to recognize them when they do.  CAP even recommends having a VIP of some sort award the Wilson.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

CAP_truth

Years ago when I was a squadron commander I had one each of every miniature medal in stock so a presentation of award with picture of pinning on medal was available. The squadron also had a supply of ribbons on hand for giving to each member cadet or senior.
Cadet CoP
Wilson

IceNine

When I was a cadet it was a REALLY big deal when a cadet got promoted.  It was pinned on by the Squadron Commander and we had pictures galore.

Most of the Mitchells are handed out by the local congressman or senator.  For Earhart it was left to the imagination.  I got mine at encampment by the Region Commander.

But in the first 4+ years of my cadet career I cannot remember even 1 single senior promotion, they just didn't care.

Shortly after I turned senior I started working in PD and we made it an equally big deal when seniors got promoted.  The result was more promotions, increased motivation, and participation from members that had been stagnant for several years.

Everyone no matter how macho they pretend to be loves to be recognized on whatever level it may be.  Whether that is completing level I or getting a Distinguished Service Medal.

You should absolutely present awards, achievements, and promotions with flair.  And I agree it's just tacky to expect members to pay for achieving things.

When I pin one of my unit commander's I foot the bill for their ribbons and epaulets (1 ribbon, 1 set of epaulets).  As well as a respectable looking frame if it is accompanied by a certificate.  I have on 2 occasions so far presented members with the mini-medal and ribbon combo presentation box but I typically reserve that for high level awards or members that I know have mess dress.

For the $100+/- a year that it cost to recognize these members I don't even blink, because it is painfully obvious when you see a member that feel's left out.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Short Field

Bottom line:  If the unit doesn't care that a member earned an award, why should the member care about earning one. 

The following comment is not directed at anyone on this board but just a stray thought that wandered into my old gray matter:  IMHO, this relates to the whole "dumbing down of America" argument.  The non-achievers hate to see achievers earn things because it makes the non-achievers look like....well... non-achievers.  So the non-achievers try to make everyone believe awards and achievements don't matter.  You can see how it has spread beyond just the classroom and schools environment into the rest of society.

SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Cecil DP

By making a fuss about the award whether it's a promotion, decoration, or completion of training you not only honor the member, you inspire the rest to follow his example. It also lets the cadets know that the seniors actually have a training program and promotions are not on the basis of  who you know.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

PaulR

Quote from: Cecil DP on December 23, 2008, 01:09:17 PM
By making a fuss about the award whether it's a promotion, decoration, or completion of training you not only honor the member, you inspire the rest to follow his example. It also lets the cadets know that the seniors actually have a training program and promotions are not on the basis of  who you know.

You have a valid point there!

PORed

I see the Level awards being kind of low on the totem pole of awards, but awards are meant to present a feeling of accomplishment. When I went to the USCG NCO academy in New London, CT they really stressed this point. I think the first presentation of the award should be given, whether in a ceremony or not, and after that you have to buy your own, like we do in the CG. It is a very cool thing to have your award presented in a award ceremony, I know at my old Squadron they even presented all the veterans a plaque for their service on Veterans Day. It all falls under the team building/sense of accomplishment I guess.

major pain

i would say one of the only presentations i have ever had was my SMV..... promitions are always hey randy put this on!...
Lt Col Rp Kraatz, CAP
Inspector General
Kansas Wing (KSWG-01)

tarheel gumby

We do stand a little more on the formalities than most, but it is a moral builder
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

jeders

In my current squadron, I know that they used to present ribbons and promotions, though no one has gotten any in the few months that I've been back, so who knows if they still do.

In my previous squadron, the previous squadron commander didn't really recognize anything, he never even wore a uniform. After he was replaced, we started recognizing every little thing for seniors. Red Service Ribbons, Level completion, promotions, et al. Once we started doing this, all of the seniors started getting more active. Even the ones that prior to this commander would only show up to one or two meetings a year started becoming regulars at the meetings.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

davedove

As Deputy Commander for Seniors, I try to at least announce achievements for Senior Members, even if a formal presentation isn't done.  As has been said here, if nothing else it let's the Cadets know the Seniors are working the program as well.  Any decorations WILL be formally presented.  The rest of our comand staff (CC and DCC) supports this fully.

Our PAO also writes a little e-newsletter and I make sure these things are included, so that even those who aren't at the presentation are aware of them.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

chanson1

Every time a I've been promoted or earned a ribbon, I just ask my squadron commander / Group commander to sign the papers. I'm not a "Hollywood" type of officer that likes to make a fuss. Nor do I wear all of my awards on my uniform.
Christian M. Hanson

Hawk200

Quote from: chanson1 on January 20, 2009, 12:59:05 AM
Every time a I've been promoted or earned a ribbon, I just ask my squadron commander / Group commander to sign the papers. I'm not a "Hollywood" type of officer that likes to make a fuss. Nor do I wear all of my awards on my uniform.

Why bother to get paperwork signed for a ribbon if you don't bother to wear them?

Presentation of awards if not entirely for the benefit of the individual. It's to show who receives them, and shows the group who the proper examples are. Granted, not all awards that people are given are properly earned, but many are. Do you not consider yourself an appropriate example to others?

SAR-EMT1

Do you have a copy of those "orders" that you can share?  Also, can anyone point me towards certificates for the cadet and senior awards that do not come with certificates from NHQ?

^ +`1
I would also be interested.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

GoofyOne

Gee-how refreshing to hear stories of accolades for awards, no matter how grand or simple.  I can't say I have seen any SM given such recognition.  Even the cadets awards go without much if any fanfare. It is not uncommon to withhold awards that are deserving due to personality issues and to give them quite readily for some not as deserving.

There are no monetary rewards in CAP but much in the way of crap.  If a person is deserving of an award, give it to them in public, in front of the squadron. If you want to keep membership growing this will go a long way of getting on the road of growth.

Stroke

Just the other day I received my Level III certificate.  The Sq/CC toward the end of the meeting slides an envelope across to me and says this finally came in.  Then he went about his business talking to someone else.  It was kinda bent, no ribbon, no good job...nothing. 

I am definitely not the sort of person that would usually care, but for some reason this time it bothered me.  I had worked hard to complete everthing to better myself and hopefully share with the squadron and the commander could care less. 

Cadets and Seniors alike should be presented achievements and awards.  I am currently in the Air Force.  I received a thank you letter from the Wing/CC at a roll call.  It was no big deal, just a couple sentences, it took no time at all.  I was paid to do that job and they took more time to recognize me than something I volunteer my own time for. 

Bottom line...present in public, no matter how small the achievement.     
Humble - Credible - Approachable