Main Menu

Mitchell Award

Started by PaulR, December 15, 2008, 03:25:10 AM

PaulR

I earned my Mitchell Award back in 1989.  I lost my original certificate over the years and have since received a replacement.  I noticed that on the replacement certificate, my award number is not present.  How do I find out my Mitchell number?

Thanks again!

Paul

jb512

Me too.  My replacement has a big 0 at the bottom and I got my original around 92.

CASH172

This probably won't work for older awards, but is it possibly listed in E-Services. 

jb512

Quote from: CASH172 on December 15, 2008, 03:39:05 AM
This probably won't work for older awards, but is it possibly listed in E-Services. 

Mine shows up there but there's no number with it.

BillB

Remember the early Mitchells had NO number
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

major pain

the replacement i got form national did not have one either... but i still have all my cadet paperwork after all these years... funny right i even have to test results for my Curry Award!
Lt Col Rp Kraatz, CAP
Inspector General
Kansas Wing (KSWG-01)

arajca

In 1989, they had numbers (mine did in 1980). Typically, if they do not have the actual record of your number, they will send uot an un-numbered certificate. My Earhart (1981) has no number because I used an old CAP News award listing to show when I received it (Dec 1981).

Stonewall

Quote from: arajca on December 15, 2008, 03:58:04 AM
In 1989, they had numbers (mine did in 1980). Typically, if they do not have the actual record of your number, they will send uot an un-numbered certificate. My Earhart (1981) has no number because I used an old CAP News award listing to show when I received it (Dec 1981).

Holy Shmokes!  I don't know why, but I thought you were a 20-something...
Serving since 1987.

arajca

jb512

You would think they might actually keep track of such a thing...

major pain

I have a SMV and they havent tracked them either....
Lt Col Rp Kraatz, CAP
Inspector General
Kansas Wing (KSWG-01)

Stonewall

Quote from: jaybird512 on December 15, 2008, 04:18:00 AM
You would think they might actually keep track of such a thing...

I've got my number right, but the spelled my name wrong on my original back in June 1991.  They had BOWDER, not BOWDEN for my last name.  They told me Mr. Bowder would have to make contact with NHQ to confirm this mistake.  I was floored.  I thought she was joking.  I'm like "there is no Bowder, it's me, I'm the Mitchell recipient".

In 1995, literally while walking down the main concourse in the Pentagon (I was in the Army) I ran into BG Rich Anderson and Col Paul Bergman.  Just so happens I had 2 of my cadets with me during their Spring break for a "shadow week" where they hung out in their blues.  Anyway, BG Anderson was as shocked as we were to see CAP cadets in the P-gon.  He bought us lunch and I told him this story about my Mitchell.  He got me a new one signed by the right people.

Unfortunately, I actually lost that one in a move so I still have my original one where I used a pencil eraser and re-typed my name.  True friggin story.
Serving since 1987.

AlphaSigOU

Prior to January 1979, Mitchell and Earhart awards were unnumbered.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

PaulR

So is there anyway to retrieve my number or is it now lost to time... :-[

SarDragon

Probably lost. There are paper records for a lot of that stuff, in storage. They do not have the capacity, or are unwilling to search through then.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jimmydeanno

Quote from: SarDragon on December 15, 2008, 08:08:10 PM
Probably lost. There are paper records for a lot of that stuff, in storage. They do not have the capacity, or are unwilling to search through then.

Mitchell Awards pre-electronic era are recorded at CAPNHQ in a 3 ring binder.  Each awards page from each edition of CAP news was put in the binder.  There aren't electronic searchable copies available (yet).  So, when you call up and say "I want a replacement certificate, I earned my Mitchell somewhere between 1971 and 1978, they end up looking through all those pages manually.

A pretty good tactic would be to not lose the certificate in the first place  ;D
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Duke Dillio

My certificates were destroyed in a car accident.  I have requested replacement copies but have not received any as of yet.  I made the request about three weeks ago.....

Stonewall

Reading this thread I decided to go to eServices and look at my stuff, something I haven't done in over a year or so.

What happened to me being able to see my awards, encampments, etc.?

I few years ago I sent them a copy of my Mitchell and encampment certificates so they would be accurate.  Now I don't even see an icon to click to view all that stuff.

Did it go away?
Serving since 1987.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Stonewall on December 15, 2008, 08:48:59 PM
What happened to me being able to see my awards, encampments, etc.?

www.capnhq.gov
login
left side, member search
enter your CAPID
click "view" to the right of your unit charter
click the "training" tab
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Sqn72DO on December 15, 2008, 08:37:12 PM
I made the request about three weeks ago.....

NHQ personnel are re-locating to another building right now.  It'll probably be a little longer while they get things re-organized.