recognition of Spaatz and Medal of Valor

Started by BillB, November 04, 2008, 09:17:20 PM

notaNCO forever

Quote from: Cecil DP on November 07, 2008, 02:03:31 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on November 07, 2008, 01:41:14 AM
Why is it most Spaatz cadets feel it is important that everyone in the room know they have 3 diamonds?

Because after spending the last 4-6 years in pursuit of the award they think their at the pinnacle of their lives.

I think it would be more to notice past Spaatz cadets. It is a big achievement that should at least deserve a little credit.

IceNine

^ They've gotten their credit, and a certificate, and a little card, and probably a challenge coin, and 3 diamonds, and pictures with some other really important person, and were probably recognized individually at a conference  in front of hundreds of people.

It is a good idea to recognize like achievement when presenting the awards but not cool to make special time to do it.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Capt Rivera

Quote from: IceNine on November 07, 2008, 03:42:55 AM
^ They've gotten their credit, and a certificate, and a little card, and probably a challenge coin, and 3 diamonds, and pictures with some other really important person, and were probably recognized individually at a conference  in front of hundreds of people.

It is a good idea to recognize like achievement when presenting the awards but not cool to make special time to do it.

agree
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

CaptCFI

"They've gotten their credit, and a certificate, and a little card, and probably a challenge coin, and 3 diamonds, and pictures with some other really important person, and were probably recognized individually at a conference  in front of hundreds of people."

There is a comradery among cadets in CAP who make it to the upper levels of CAP, now I'm not just saying Spaatz cadets, there are plenty of outstanding Eaker or Earhart Cadets out there.  Recognizing former cadets who have achieved this gives young cadets a role model to look to and a bond between the older generation and the younger generation.  Should an hour be spent recongizing old spaatz or medal of valor recipients, probably not--but there is no hurt in mentioning.
My soul is in the sky.

— William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream,' Act V. Scene I.

IceNine

You are correct, and as an Earhart recipient I agree that I tend to connect more with other phase IV Cadets (past and present)

And exactly as I mentioned, recognizing the group just for the nostalgia or whatever isn't kosher.  Having other like recipients stand when awarding a new one is cool.

Call me old fashion but I've been to way too many conferences where there was an excruciating amount of time spent going down the list of awards and having recipients stand.

I was at a national conference and they had SMV, BMV, GRW, Spaatz, past wing commanders, past region commanders, other distinguished guests, the head table, etc all announced.  AND THEN, they went on to award SMV's, BMV's, GRW's, Spaatz, recognize new NB and NEC members, and so on.  Just combine it all, and if it's not covered by someone else getting the award then it doesn't get covered
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

PlaneFlyr

Quote from: CaptCFI on November 15, 2008, 12:07:50 AM
"They've gotten their credit, and a certificate, and a little card, and probably a challenge coin, and 3 diamonds, and pictures with some other really important person, and were probably recognized individually at a conference  in front of hundreds of people."

There is a comradery among cadets in CAP who make it to the upper levels of CAP, now I'm not just saying Spaatz cadets, there are plenty of outstanding Eaker or Earhart Cadets out there.  Recognizing former cadets who have achieved this gives young cadets a role model to look to and a bond between the older generation and the younger generation.  Should an hour be spent recongizing old spaatz or medal of valor recipients, probably not--but there is no hurt in mentioning.

I don't really care if they have me stand up at the beginning of an event or not.  But it should be consistent.  If they are going to announce Spaatz recipients, then it's common courtesy to also announce Wilson and MoV recipients.  I'd also like veterans announced. 

I've been to a couple events where they called for the Spaatz recipients to stand (and Falcon awardees).  And then began the meeting. 

I missed getting my Spaatz by two questions, so I don't expect to be recognized there.  But I've earned the Wilson and a SMV in the years since.  I don't want/need the recognition, but I feel a little sting when they take the time to recognize one distinguished group but not mine. 
Lt Col Todd Engelman, CAP
Historian
President of the Medal of Valor Association

major pain

as a Silver Medal of Valor awardee, when at an activity or when being introduced if the award is brought up a gratefully accept the accolades and move on to the business of the day. I do not see the award as a personal achievement but i am proud to wear it for the men and women i serve with and those that are out in the field making a difference.

Remember an award like the SMV is given to someone for an action that has been deemed as an act of heroism. but to every person i have met that has been awarded the SMV including myself it was an act that would have been carried out regardless of any recignition other than the HIGHEST award one can get... the personal satisfaction of making a difference in someones life!

THE SMV is not an owned by the person it was awarded too, it belongs to everyone in the CAP. be proud of your service and the achievements of your members!

The choice is up to the commander
Lt Col Rp Kraatz, CAP
Inspector General
Kansas Wing (KSWG-01)

Gunner C

Quote from: major pain on December 14, 2008, 02:22:53 AM
as a Silver Medal of Valor awardee, when at an activity or when being introduced if the award is brought up a gratefully accept the accolades and move on to the business of the day. I do not see the award as a personal achievement but i am proud to wear it for the men and women i serve with and those that are out in the field making a difference.

Remember an award like the SMV is given to someone for an action that has been deemed as an act of heroism. but to every person i have met that has been awarded the SMV including myself it was an act that would have been carried out regardless of any recignition other than the HIGHEST award one can get... the personal satisfaction of making a difference in someones life!

THE SMV is not an owned by the person it was awarded too, it belongs to everyone in the CAP. be proud of your service and the achievements of your members!

The choice is up to the commander

Well said, sir!   :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Stonewall

A while back a friend and fellow former cadet wrote a letter to my squadron commander to nominate me for the Certificate of Life Saving.  Another member, actually two different members, suggested it be submitted for a Medal of Valor.  Nothing ever came of it.

12224 XXXXXXX XX
Jacksonville, FL  32225

April 6, 2007

Squadron Commander
Jacksonville Composite Squadron
855 N. St. Johns Bluff Road
Jacksonville, FL  32225

To whom it may concern:

I would like to recommend that Lt Col Peter K. (Kirt) Bowden be put in for Civil Air Patrol's Life Saving Medal.

On August 26, 2006, while surfing at Mayport Beach with Kirt and coming to shore after seeing a shark on three separate occasions, we noticed a father yelling for his young son who was caught in a current on a boogie board.  We noticed a young lifeguard struggling to get through the waves so we took action ourselves.  Both Kirt and I made it through the waves to the young child where he was already past the breakers and in very deep water; neither of us could touch the ocean floor.  Shortly thereafter, the lifeguard and father arrived and both were overwhelmed with exhaustion.  The young boy was placed on top of one surfboard while the two adults grabbed on to the other.  Slowly working our way back to shore we were toppled by a large wave and had to reorganize everyone into position.  It wasn't until we got to knee deep water that additional lifeguards arrived.

It is without a doubt that Kirt played a major role in the saving of the child's life in addition to assisting both the father and young lifeguard after their exhaustive swim.  As a former member of the Jacksonville Composite Squadron in the 1980s, I didn't think to recommend Kirt for this award until now.  I myself am a former life guard captain and know the dangers of ocean rescue.  Although Kirt is an avid swimmer and no stranger to the ocean, it took great heroism on his part to help the lives of others in such conditions.  He did so without hesitation and regard to his own safety.

If you have any questions regarding my recommendation please feel free to contact me at 904-728-3447 or jody.fiala@xxxx.xxx.  Although I do not have the names of the others involved, my wife was also a witness to the act.  Additionally, I would hope there is a record of this rescue with the Mayport Life Guards.

Sincerely,

Jody V. Fiala

And then another member, a SMV recipient himself, wrote this on my behalf:

On August 26, 2006, while surfing at Mayport Beach, FL and coming ashore after seeing a shark on three separate occasions, Lt Col Bowden and his friend noticed a father yelling for his young son who was caught in a current on a boogie board. 

Noticing a young lifeguard struggling to get through the waves the two took action to assist.  Realizing how bad the condition of the seas was and the very real threat of shark attack.  Both Lt Col Bowden and his friend made a decision to risk their own lives and assist the lifeguard.  Lt Col Bowden and his friend made it through the waves to reach the young child first.  The boy was already made it past the breakers and was in very deep water; neither Lt Col Bowden nor his friend could touch the ocean floor. 

By this time the father had swum out with the lifeguard.  When they arrived, both were overwhelmed with exhaustion.  Lt Col Bowden and his friend placed the young boy on top of one surfboard while the father and lifeguard grabbed on to the other surfboard.  Lt Col Bowden and his friend slowly pulled the young boy's surfboard and they worked their way back to shore.  While en route, they were toppled by a large wave and had to reorganize everyone into position.  It was not until they got to knee deep water that additional lifeguards arrived.

Lt Col Bowden's selfless act played a major role in the saving of the child's life in addition to assisting both the father and young lifeguard back to safety after their exhaustive swim. 

It is without a doubt that Lt Col Bowden quick thinking, heroic action and willingness to risk his own life to save others reflects great credit upon him, the Florida Wing and Civil Air Patrol.

My problem is, I just don't feel comfortable persuing my own award so I never followed up.

Serving since 1987.

major pain

when i was awarded mine, there was a retired CWO pilot from the Nightstalkers company that had crashed over Afghanistan, he and his crew fought for eachothers life and lost one of their crewmembers during the incursion. The Medic/Crewchief who lost his life fighting for his brothers name was Phil Swedact (i know i spelled this wrong) In the NCR there was an award that was made in the hero's honor in his name, its awarded for patriotism.

the award the year i was given my SMV was the year that the pilot of that Blackhawk was given the patrot award in the name of the fallen crewmember that was under his command.

shortly after i was given my award i took it off my uniform and gave it to the Commander of that crew as my thanks for the sacrifice that they gave in the protection of our freedom.

I was given the Highest honor that night i have ever received, i was bought a beer from the the commander and the father of a real hero, Thank you Chief and  Mr Swedact, to was my honor!
Lt Col Rp Kraatz, CAP
Inspector General
Kansas Wing (KSWG-01)

major pain

Stonewall:

i never wanted it, or asked for it or any other award i was given. live life to better others not the fruit salad it gets ya!

just do right and the rest comes Bro!
Lt Col Rp Kraatz, CAP
Inspector General
Kansas Wing (KSWG-01)

Stonewall

Quote from: major pain on December 14, 2008, 02:56:27 AM
i never wanted it, or asked for it or any other award i was given. live life to better others not the fruit salad it gets ya!

I was simply saying that (me not persuing my own award) because several people encouraged me to put myself in for it.  By no means am I suggesting that this is the norm or that you or anyone else submitted for their own awards.  I've got 16 CAP awards and 16 military and none of them are more important to me than the hundreds of other acts or experiences that I wasn't recognized for.  From performing CPR on several occasions to starting a line on a heat stroke patient as we prepared for air evac, I've never once considered nominating myself for doing my job.  The above letters I quoted above were written by others and I appreciate their intentions, especially since I was completely "off duty" and in no way obligated to assist the stranded child.  It was just the right thing to do.
Serving since 1987.

PlaneFlyr

Quote from: major pain on December 14, 2008, 02:53:47 AM
when i was awarded mine, there was a retired CWO pilot from the Nightstalkers company that had crashed over Afghanistan, he and his crew fought for eachothers life and lost one of their crewmembers during the incursion. The Medic/Crewchief who lost his life fighting for his brothers name was Phil Swedact (i know i spelled this wrong) In the NCR there was an award that was made in the hero's honor in his name, its awarded for patriotism.

the award the year i was given my SMV was the year that the pilot of that Blackhawk was given the patrot award in the name of the fallen crewmember that was under his command.

shortly after i was given my award i took it off my uniform and gave it to the Commander of that crew as my thanks for the sacrifice that they gave in the protection of our freedom.

I was given the Highest honor that night i have ever received, i was bought a beer from the the commander and the father of a real hero, Thank you Chief and  Mr Swedact, to was my honor!

Sounds pretty impressive.  How/when did you earn yours? 
Historian

major pain

actions taken April 2005, awarded march 2008
Lt Col Rp Kraatz, CAP
Inspector General
Kansas Wing (KSWG-01)

AlphaSigOU

At least we're not as bad as the Order of the Eastern Star when it comes to introductions and protocol... practically everyone who is a Past Matron or Past Patron is appointed to some kind of special committee and each level has its own distinct protocol, from rendering grand honors (only to sitting and past Grand Matrons and Patrons) to being just introduced from the sidelines. (I'm the junior past patron of my OES chapter, so all I get is a nod from the sidelines.)

And God forbid anyone forgets protocol... you've never seen a bunch of old bitties getting in a snit because they were not properly recognized!  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

PlaneFlyr

Quote from: major pain on December 16, 2008, 01:00:31 PM

Congrats.  I'm proud to serve with you.

Historian

major pain

Quote from: PlaneFlyr on December 17, 2008, 02:57:33 AM

thank you!
Lt Col Rp Kraatz, CAP
Inspector General
Kansas Wing (KSWG-01)

Gunner C

Quote from: major pain on December 17, 2008, 03:14:33 AM
Quote from: PlaneFlyr on December 17, 2008, 02:57:33 AM

thank you!

Same here.  Real heroes are hard to find.  You're one of them.

major pain

no I'm not but thank you, i was just a guy doing a job i was trained to do.. just faced odds that in retrospect i should have considered a little more.

to be honest with yall, when i was told i was getting it i was embarrassed.

i told my commander, NCR/CC that i didn't deserve it i was just doing what anyone would have done if they know how. he said, i saw you work that morning i was there. you took control of 8 victims you took a few out of a van that was on fire, you took control of the scene told directed the trooper to call for surrounding fire departments and life flight, triaged and deligated patient care and worked a full out CPR on a 6 year old boy. and when the fire departments got there you didn't stop you helped them intubate  two of the victims and life flighted them out to the trauma center.

In the aftermath of it all i still feel that even having to call a few field terminations and losing the 6 year old but saving 5 others, i just did my job. what i was trained to do.

I'm not a hero i am just a medic nothing special. I am humbaled by the award and i don't see it as mine, its yours, every member that has served with me or under me, every person i have trained and every person that wears my uniform owns that medal. I just have the privilege of wearing it.

so a walked up to the stage that night when it was presented to me and i thanked everyone. I gave my medal to a real hero. a war vet that lost his aircraft and crew under hostel enemy fire in the war of terrior.
then i went back to my table and sat down, the same man i was before.

fact is that i lost four people that day so in my eyes i was only 50% good. some things you cant change and i have had much worse days after that one, a hero no wrong place right time and the skills to do a job.... thats what i am ...

I'm just a medic. Im not a hero, but thank you.

thank all of you for your service
Lt Col Rp Kraatz, CAP
Inspector General
Kansas Wing (KSWG-01)

James Shaw

Quote from: major pain on December 17, 2008, 12:50:16 PM
no I'm not but thank you, i was just a guy doing a job i was trained to do.. just faced odds that in retrospect i should have considered a little more.
A guy who volunteered to do a job to the best of your abilities and it helped others.

i told my commander, NCR/CC that i didn't deserve it i was just doing what anyone would have done if they know how. he said, i saw you work that morning i was there. you took control of 8 victims you took a few out of a van that was on fire, you took control of the scene told directed the trooper to call for surrounding fire departments and life flight, triaged and deligated patient care and worked a full out CPR on a 6 year old boy. and when the fire departments got there you didn't stop you helped them intubate  two of the victims and life flighted them out to the trauma center.

In the aftermath of it all i still feel that even having to call a few field terminations and losing the 6 year old but saving 5 others, i just did my job. what i was trained to do.
Sometimes we go beyond our training and get into why God has put you there.

fact is that i lost four people that day so in my eyes i was only 50% good. some things you cant change and i have had much worse days after that one, a hero no wrong place right time and the skills to do a job.... thats what i am ...
You also have four people who are still around and alive to spend the holidays with their families. What better gift can one give than the Gift of Life.

thank all of you for your service
I am honored to be associated with such a great group of people.

Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)