AF issue trousers

Started by Rob Sherlin, November 03, 2008, 08:41:02 PM

Rob Sherlin

Do AF issue trousers run smaller than civilian? I got an awesome deal on a few pairs that were 38R, but there's no way these things are 38 waist. If they have a different measuring system, can someone let me know where to find a conversion table or how to figure it out so next time I can get the right size?
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

Rob Sherlin SM, NER-NY-116

jimmydeanno

I think they run about an inch smaller.  My commercially procured jeans, etc are 32 waist.  My AF trousers are 33.  Best bet is to try them on, ordering things you aren't familiar with through a catalog has always been disasterous for me.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

notaNCO forever

My Blues pants are an inch bigger than my normal pants.

Rob Sherlin

Wow, then the measurement of these might be way off, because they seem like they are way more than just and inch smaller. I know I'm not gaining weight, in fact all the size 38 pants I have are getting loser.
To fly freely above the earth is the ultimate dream for me in life.....For I do not wish to wait till I pass to earn my wings.

LtCol057

I read somewhere recently that the sizing in the blues is about 2" smaller than civilian pants, just don't remember where I read it.  ???

notaNCO forever

The new ones might be different mine are probably older and have different sizing. You would think when something says is a 32 inch waist it would be 32 inches, I guess that's not the case.

SarDragon

Just as an aside, I've noticed that sizing has gotten bigger over the years. I have "medium" t-shirts from 15 years ago that are distinctly smaller that new shirts labeled for the same size. Similar differences may exist in civilian clothing, despite numbered sizing.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Grumpy

Dave,

Do you think they may have shrunk over the years of washings?  15 years, wow what's left of them, the collar?

LtCol Hooligan

Or it could be because our nation is getting larger and to make people feel better about themselves, companied changes the definition of sizes!!  Try shopping in Old Navy sometime.  You will feel way better about yourself.

Just a thought on the pant issue- is it possible someone took them in at some point in time?  I know I had a pair taylored and you cannot tell.
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

LtCol White

They run a good size and a half to almost two sizes smaller than labeled.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

SarDragon

Quote from: Grumpy on November 03, 2008, 10:13:07 PM
Dave,

Do you think they may have shrunk over the years of washings?  15 years, wow what's left of them, the collar?

Considering frequency of wear, I don't think so, on either account. In fact, some of the newer shirts have been worn (and washed) more than the older ones.

Now I think we should get back on topic, or Mike will shut us off!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Grumpy

Rob Sherlin

Well, I'll probably go with the AF size running 2 sizes smaller (or 2") comment. I can see where it could be possible that someone took them in, but I bought 2 pair from one place, and a 3rd pair from another, and all three are the same. It's a big dissapointment, because they're in excellent condition, and the right shade to match the service cap and everything....they just don't fit! :-[

SJFedor

Quote from: Rob Sherlin on November 03, 2008, 08:41:02 PM
  Do AF issue trousers run smaller than civilian? I got an awesome deal on a few pairs that were 38R, but there's no way these things are 38 waist. If they have a different measuring system, can someone let me know where to find a conversion table or how to figure it out so next time I can get the right size?

It's also possible that someone who originally had them bought them as 38Rs, and then had the waist/seat hemmed in a little if they lost some weight, etc. I bought a pair of 38Rs once that fit me perfectly, but were nowhere close to being true 38Rs, as the next time I bought new trousers, I tried 38Rs on first and was swimming in them. They were more like 33Rs.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

SarDragon

Have you actually measured around the waist of the trousers, and your waist? Are you really a 38?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

majdomke

AF Blues pants have always been that way, since at least the 80's when I was in. Whatever size you really are, go up two inches and that should work. It's just like any other clothes item in the store. I wear the same name brand pants and every time I go to get more, sometimes they fit perfect and sometimes they are tight. All the same size mind you... At least, for every one's egos, they could have made them 2 inches too big, right?

Rob Sherlin

OK, I just asked one of my co-workers who's in the AF Reserve, and he said the same thing, to order to sizes above for Blues

AlphaSigOU

All the blues trousers I own are a size or two larger that I normally wear: Usually I wear a 42 waist, but buy 44 waist in blues.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040