Main Menu

New CAP Uniform

Started by sandman, October 12, 2008, 05:46:11 PM

addo1

Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

ol'fido

First of all let's agree that this guy is a fake as far as being any kind of real military officer. Nobody gets stars with so little real bling. Even the chairborne generals in todays military end up with achievement and commendation medals out the wazoo. This includes active duty, guard, reserve, state guards, ect.

This guy probably learned enough about CAP or the USAF to sound real to outsiders. This includes people in the RM who are not familiar with the insignia and practices of other branches.

He also had the cajones to pass himself off this way and to this extent. In St. Louis recently they had a guy that passed himself off as a DEA agent for several months to the city fathers and the town PD and county SD. There were several people out of a job when the truth came out including a chief of police. They let this guy go with them on raids and busts. People like this go to elaborate length to make themselves seem real.

A few years ago when we held joint encampments with WI at Volk ANGB, there was this guy who would show up for the graduation on the WI side who wore a black beret with 7th SFG flash and LTC grade, a Combat Artillery Badge(no such animal but they make em for vets to buy), pathfinder badge but no jump wings, and believe it or not a Soldier of Fortune Magazine logo pin.  The rest of his uniform was Army class A Greens and bloused jump boots. There are a lot  of these guys out there.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Eclipse

For the sake of information:

Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolen_Valor_Act_of_2005
The Stolen Valor Act of 2005 (the Act), signed into law by President George W. Bush on December 20, 2006,[1] is a U.S. law that broadens the provisions of previous U.S. law addressing the unauthorized wear, manufacture, sale or claim (either written or verbal) of any military decorations and medals. It is a federal misdemeanor offense, which carries a punishment of imprisonment for not more than 1 year and/or a fine; the scope previously covered only the Medal of Honor.

...Under the act, it is illegal to wear, buy, sell, barter, trade or manufacture "any decoration or medal authorized by Congress for the armed forces of the United States, or any of the service medals or badges awarded to the members of such forces."...

10 USC, Subtitle A, Part II, Chapter 45, Sections 771 and 772 is the federal law that defines the wear of military uniforms.
Lots of detail here: http://usmilitary.about.com/od/theorderlyroom/a/uniformwear.htm

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

FYI, the State Guard Association of the US can't "authorize" anything in regards to what uniforms worn by State Defense Forces.  They may recommend that CAP ribbons be allowed, but no state is under any obligation to do so.  Additionally, I think CAP would need to authorize SDFs to wear CAP ribbons as well. 

LtCol057

I would hope CAP would have to authorize SDFs to wear our ribbon.  IIRC, they sent out some C&D letters to vendors selling CAP items so Vanguard would be sold distributor. Personally, I don't have a problem with vendors selling CAP items, gives Vanguard some competition, helps keep prices reasonable.  But I do have a problem with people not in CAP wearing CAP ribbons, badges, etc.

I don't have many ribbons, badges, etc., but I worked for what I got, even if it was just spending time sitting in a class.

Stonewall

I have personally been involved with busting 6 phonies in CAP, half of which happened right here on CAP Talk.
Serving since 1987.

Flying Pig

Thats a sweet looking uniform though.  I didnt read all the posts, but did anyone point out that hes wearing the same ribbon twice?

OK.....I went back....a few people mentioned the two of the same.  What a poser.  Although Im a little upset that nobody pointed out the LAME sunglasses!

jimmydeanno

Quote from: tedda on October 13, 2008, 04:20:13 PM
Edit: who knows whether he aware of which way the GRW goes.  Not that it matters.

Maybe it's a National Commander's Citation...same ribbon worn the opposite way.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

DC

Where is he wearing the same ribbon twice? The only similarity I an seeing is the PUC and  SAR ribbon...

Pylon

I'll just say this:  Be very careful about accusing anybody of being a fraud (or accusing people of things in general) well before any or all facts are known.  Simply because you can't find supporting facts from your armchair general chair (or was that a guardhouse lawyer's chair?) via the Googles, doesn't mean that the guy is a fraud.  I'm neither defending him nor agreeing with all of you -- but you're walking a very fine line in a very public manner.

Gentlemen don't jump to conclusions.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

PHall

Quote from: DC on October 14, 2008, 02:28:40 AM
Where is he wearing the same ribbon twice? The only similarity I an seeing is the PUC and  SAR ribbon...

Air Force Outstanding Unit award. He has one with a V device and an Oak Leaf Cluster and one basic ribbon.

DNall

I'm pretty dang certain he's not a past commander of the Tx State Guard naval rgmt. That's a one-star position currently held down by a two-star (not this guy). The overall commander of the TSG is a two-star position (again not this guy). The Naval Rgmt is very new, as in the last couple years. I don't think they actually have a former commander.

I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty close to certain that CAP ribbons (not to mention badges) are not allowed on TSG uniforms. State awards & badges are allowed though, and he would have to have lots of that.

I did look up the state reg covering awards and state guard uniforms. The annex chapter covering their uniforms is currently under review & not published.

NIN

* NIN looks around nonchalantly, drops this on the ground for the jackals to pick up on...

http://goldenheartfoundation.com/

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

jimmydeanno

Wow!  Good find NIN:

The Bio:
QuoteIn the one hand, he has literally held a human heart. While with his other, he has pulled a human being from the carnage of a burning plane, seconds before the plane exploded into a red billow of gas and flame. And with his own heart, he has reached out to hundreds of thousands of children across the nation...tutoring them, visiting them in elementary schools and hospitals...giving them something they can feel: something they can remember, something they can smile about and sing about. That something, a thing more precious than gold, is a thing called "LOVE". And that man, behind the hand that held the heart, that dared the burning plane, that loved the children, is a man called Texas Admiral James Ellison, Founder of Golden Heart.
Texas Admiral Ellison, has uniquely "harmonized" his many special talents and his professional experiences in the arts, natural medicine, business, and active and volunteer military duties into creating Golden Heart. A dynamic community based organization that addresses and devotes itself to the needs and healthy development of children. Particularly, those children who are troubled or medically and economically disadvantaged.
He is a member of AOPA- as an Orthopedic Physician Assistant, plus insured as a Surgical Assistant. He has trained and worked many years in hospitals and medical centers, and he has been photographed as a team member on the cover of the Dallas Medical Journal, featuring laparoscopic procedures. As an accomplished artist with a Visual Arts Degree from the University of Texas at Dallas, he has continued to create wonderful pencil drawings.As a Lt. Colonel with many years in the United States Air Force Auxiliary/ Civil Air Patrol, he has served as a mission air crew and sar ground team member in the Rocky Mountain Region in Wing Command. As a certified Aerial Radiological monitoring Instructor, he has trained over 3,000 officers and cadets. He has over 1,000 hours of mission time and has served as Idaho and Washington State Emergency Services Director. Texas Admiral Ellison has received the "Life Saving Award", twice, plus the Bronze Star for his acts of heroism.
Texas Admiral Ellison has attended the Air Force Academy and Air Force War College to obtain the highest level of academic level in CAP.

He has received a commission as an admiral in the Texas Navy, from past Governor G. Bush, for his outstanding community service to the State of Texas. A letter from the White House signed by the President in support of his efforts to motivate children; Bridging the Gap Award; Volunteer of the year-USS Island; Heart of the Lion Medal; The Iron Star; Baron in the Red Baron Air Force; Key to City; Dallas Fire Department Humanitarian Certificate for saving someone; National Portrait Press Award in Art; Certificate of Appreciation from the U.S. Congress and Senate/ Plus from the Texas Rep. and Senate Members.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

cnitas

A little more about membership in the Texas Navy:
http://www.texasnavy.org/membership.htm

It is similar to the Admirals of Nebraska thing.
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

SilverEagle2

Quotehttp://goldenheartfoundation.com/
^^^

And....

He owns the domain and created the site. Still does not make him legit.

I could create a web site (oh wait...I have) and then go on to promote myself as this site does.

Not to mention that his site is really poorly built.

However, if real, I commend his efforts.

He still needs to switch his NCSA and Encamp ribbons around though.

Just some thoughts.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

sandman

Quote from: NIN on October 14, 2008, 01:40:15 PM
* NIN looks around nonchalantly, drops this on the ground for the jackals to pick up on...

http://goldenheartfoundation.com/

Darin,

Bravo Zulu!  :clap:

Thank you for finding this info. I just wanted to find out who this person was. I wanted to give the benefit of the doubt but I threw it out to the wolves.

Lessons learned?
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

Flying Pig

He appears to be LTC James Reid Ellison of TX-133.  Joined CAP 1990, Date of rank in 1995.  Expired 2007.
OK, so was he a Spaatz Cadet?  Possibly explaining how he went from Senior Member to LTC in 5 years.  Surely someone in TX wing has heard of him right?

There are still some things that don't seem right.  Presidential Unit citation and an Outstanding Unit award with a "V" (valor) device, however no combat or campaign ribbons.  USAF guy with Jump Wings?  That in itself is rare.  If I am mistaken, I would like nothing better.  I have dealt with people who have had entire lives based off of a story they told once.

Capt Rivera

Quote from: lordmonar on October 13, 2008, 07:51:19 PM
Currently using my USAF NCO Academy for ECI 13....if I go back and go ECI 13 I get to bump my USAF PME up one to cover RSC and NSC.

This is possible? You can change your mind on how you use your PME after already benefiting from it once? On paper that sounds bad but frankly I don't see a problem with it if your going back and completing the requirements.

Why? Some people get bad advice when they join. "Don't worry about Course 13, its crap and the blablabla...". So some people never look into it and just use their PME to avoid it.  

I have some people in my squadron who might be able to take advantage of this. (Never thought to try it) Can you detail anything that can be used or quoted, should we try to do this. How will you get NHQ to change your records to show that you took ECI-13 instead of it saying NCOA equivalency or whatever it says now?
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

Flying Pig

http://www.airportjournals.com/display.cfm?

"After high school, he joined the United States Air Force. During his three years in the service, Ellison did learn to fly, but he also used his burgeoning artistic skills to illustrate the nose cones of F-111 Aardvarks. A colonel took the young serviceman under his wing and encouraged him to go to college. That facilitated Ellison's early discharge from the military. Ellison went on to pursue his dream by completing a visual arts degree at the University of Texas, winning national art awards in the process."

So why is he wearing Observer Wings?

"I was in special operations and emergency services," he recalled. "I was one of the few CAP officers sent to attend the first Air Force Academy program for CAP officers. We performed a lot of missions at the Air Force's behest, including search and rescue and recovery efforts."

Over the course of his service, Ellison accumulated more than 1,000 hours of mission time and trained more than 3,000 officers and cadets. He twice received the CAP's Life Saving Award, as well as the Bronze Star for a profoundly brave act of heroism.

In the early 1980s, Ellison went on a rescue mission in a Helio Courier, to assess the condition of a crashed aircraft.

"A plane went down, but no one wanted to get near it because of the ordinance it was carrying," he remembered. "It was going to blow. I flew past everyone. I didn't think about my life at the time; I was young and dumb. I pulled the pilot out anyway. The fireball burned right through my flight suit, but I saved this guy."

SURELY!!! Someone remembers the explosion and the fireball?  The Bronze Star being awarded?   Something?