New summer flight uniform -- coming back from the dead?

Started by RiverAux, September 21, 2008, 08:45:20 PM

RiverAux

I've got it from a good source that the summer flight uniform (shorts) proposal that was voted down (amid cheering by the assembled wing commanders) at the last NB, may be making a comeback in the not so distant future.  It may or may not make it to the agenda, but it does appear that there is still support out there for the idea.

Smokey

OH NO......Don't tell me the flying club mafia is back at it.

I'm so sick of those folks who just want to fly on someone else's dime and want to distance us from our parent (the AF).

The total lack of a professional appearance is so abhorrent to those folks, that they whine and cry about having to wear a uniform, salute, or act the least bit professional and exhibit a little esprit de corps.......I just wish they would go join the Ranger Corps.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Eclipse

Lets hope that the common sense taking hold at NHQ includes this silly idea and it stays as a proposal.

"That Others May Zoom"

FW

River, pardon my french but, someone's gotta be nuts!  I would be very surprised if it makes it to the NB agenda for the winter board meeting.  If by some chance I'm wrong, I will LOL on the record.  I doubt such an agenda item would have any chance of passing.

RiverAux

My speculation would be that whoever actually wants this is going to try to come back with some sort of safety-related data in an attempt to justify it, much as was done in the other threads on this topic here.  I don't see any other way they could think they would even have a chance on this for the next few years.  After all, the wing commanders were applauding and cheering its defeat the first time.   

Major Carrales

Quote from: RiverAux on September 21, 2008, 09:24:43 PM
My speculation would be that whoever actually wants this is going to try to come back with some sort of safety-related data in an attempt to justify it, much as was done in the other threads on this topic here.  I don't see any other way they could think they would even have a chance on this for the next few years.  After all, the wing commanders were applauding and cheering its defeat the first time.   

Flying across desert regions, with the hot days and cold nights, in shorts is asking to die of exposure of one has to set down.  At least in a flight suit or pants one's person is not directly exposed to the elements.

I remind everyone of the article on such survivial posted a while back.

Gee-Dee it, what is so bloody wrong about wearing a pair of trousers?
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

DC

What's the plan, introduce the idea to the NB repetitively until they pass it just to get rid of it?!

If they want to play the safety card, then they should think about their safety after a crash. I bet they'll wish they were in nomex and boots then!

The wings that require nomex for mission aircrews have the right idea.

RiverAux

QuoteWhat's the plan, introduce the idea to the NB repetitively until they pass it just to get rid of it?!
Wouldn't be the first time that strategy is tried. 

Eclipse

Quote from: DC on September 21, 2008, 09:45:33 PM

That's a pendulum swung too far the other way, and unnecessary in CAP. 

Professional appearance and functionality is far more important than the fire retardance in a CAP context.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eeyore

At least the nomex and boots look good. I'd rather see that than all of our white legs in short shorts.

Eclipse

Quote from: edmo1 on September 21, 2008, 09:57:48 PM
At least the nomex and boots look good. I'd rather see that than all of our white legs in short shorts.

Ditto.

"That Others May Zoom"

Grumpy

Quote from: edmo1 on September 21, 2008, 09:57:48 PM

Ye Gad, I can just picture me, with my white knobby knees, dressed in a short flight suit :o
If I stand next to a white wall, I go invisible.

Pumbaa

zombie: a dead body that has been brought back to life by a supernatural force.

You gotta love Zombie Agendas!

Smokey

Grumpy,

I've got to agree......having known you all these years and seen you in the locker room I would probably want to jab hot pokers in my eyes ;D
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

DC

Quote from: Eclipse on September 21, 2008, 09:55:41 PM
Quote from: DC on September 21, 2008, 09:45:33 PM

That's a pendulum swung too far the other way, and unnecessary in CAP. 

Professional appearance and functionality is far more important than the fire retardance in a CAP context.
To me it is less the fire retardance (though that is certainly nice..) than the durability of the garment. They are durable, somewhat warm, and comfortable. If not in temperature then in fit.

Not to mention presenting a professional and 'serious' look to customers and the public. Most public service organizations that have aircrews dress them in flight suits, CAP should not be the exception.

notaNCO forever

Why would somebody even think of suggesting shorts as part of a CAP uniform? I think they should be able to survive in a plane with a flightsuit. If you want to play the safety card what about the GT's in the 120 degree weather out west? Maybe they should have shorts to.

Grumpy

Quote from: NCO forever on September 21, 2008, 10:54:21 PM
Why would somebody even think of suggesting shorts as part of a CAP uniform? . . . . .

Hey, we had them in the 50's.  505 uniform with bush jacket and shorts.  Even a pith (Sp?) helmet.
'course my knees weren't so knobby then.

Grumpy

Quote from: Smokey on September 21, 2008, 10:20:18 PM
Grumpy,

I've got to agree......having known you all these years and seen you in the locker room I would probably want to jab hot pokers in my eyes ;D
:o :o ;D

Major Carrales

Quote from: Grumpy on September 21, 2008, 11:10:30 PM
Quote from: NCO forever on September 21, 2008, 10:54:21 PM
Why would somebody even think of suggesting shorts as part of a CAP uniform? . . . . .

Hey, we had them in the 50's.  505 uniform with bush jacket and shorts.  Even a pith (Sp?) helmet.
'course my knees weren't so knobby then.

Bring back the pith helmet and the jacket, and we'll wear the shorts. ;D
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Grumpy