Main Menu

Minimum Cadet age

Started by citizensoldier, September 12, 2008, 07:06:53 PM

citizensoldier

Am I correct in my understanding that my 11 year old son who is in 5th grade will be eligible to join once he is done with 5th grade?  He will turn 12 as the 6th grade year gets started.

Thanks,

Jon Eppler
Mt. Hood Composite Squadron 1987-1989
SSG Stillwater Composite Squadron 2008-2009
SSGBroken Arrow Composite Squadron FEB 2009-Present
SGT OKARNG 08 APR 1988-23 JUN 2009

IceNine

No, That used to be the standard.

You now must be 12 years old.  Grade no longer matters

Quote from: 39-2a. Twelve years of age through 18 years of age. Note: Individuals applying for membership in a squadron that is participating in CAP's middle school initiative may join if they are below age 12 as long as they are attending at least the sixth grade in the appropriate middle school. These squadrons are monitored by the Cadets and Senior Member Professional Development office at National Headquarters and have a distinguishing charter number that identifies them as participants of this program.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

notaNCO forever

I think national changed it to just a minimum age of twelve and stopped the "or sixth grade."

citizensoldier

That really is too bad.  I can see how it makes sense though.

MIKE

Quoth the reg:

Quote from: CAPR 39-22-2. a. Twelve years of age through 18 years of age. Note: Individuals applying for membership in a squadron that is participating in CAP's middle school initiative may join if they are below age 12 as long as they are attending at least the sixth grade in the appropriate middle school. These squadrons are monitored by the Cadets and Senior Member Professional Development office at National Headquarters and have a distinguishing charter number that identifies them as participants of this program.
Mike Johnston

notaNCO forever

I think it was because to many homeschooled kids were joining at a really young age.

citizensoldier

Quote from: NCO forever on September 12, 2008, 07:10:43 PM
I think national changed it to just a minimum age of twelve and stopped the "or sixth grade."

Odd question NCO forever,  are you one of the senior members who has kept NCO rank?  I am curious about this as I consider coming back as a Senior.

notaNCO forever

No I'm a cadet that hoped to stay a C/MSgt forever but are squadron needed more officers so I promoted.
I encourage you to join though we don't have many senior member NCOs.

citizensoldier

I am going to look at it pretty hard.  It looks like it may be 10 months before I can get my son in and it involves a bit of travel.  I have not decided which track to go with.  I would be interested in talking to some senior NCOs.

Eclipse

Quote from: NCO forever on September 12, 2008, 07:18:16 PM
No I'm a cadet that hoped to stay a C/MSgt forever but are squadron needed more officers so I promoted.

I assume you were being sarcastic, as this is not exactly how the program works...   ???

"That Others May Zoom"

notaNCO forever

No I wasn't being sarcastic I liked being a NCO and are squadron did need more cadet officers. That, however is not the only reason I became an officer. It might of been better if  I stayed a NCO though since we need a flight Sargent now. Were getting of topic though if you want the whole story you'll have to Wait 30 years for my biography to come out.

stratoflyer

^ :D

I've heard it all before.
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

Cecil DP

Quote from: NCO forever on September 12, 2008, 07:58:22 PM
No I wasn't being sarcastic I liked being a NCO and are squadron did need more cadet officers. That, however is not the only reason I became an officer. It might of been better if  I stayed a NCO though since we need a flight Sargent now. Were getting of topic though if you want the whole story you'll have to Wait 30 years for my biography to come out.

The idea is that you progress in the program-it's even in your cadet oath.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

addo1

Quote from: Cecil DP on September 13, 2008, 08:12:25 PM

..Advance my education and training rapidly... That doesn't have to be in promotions... Promotions and rank are just a small part of the cadet program... As far as you know, he may of been progressing himself very actively in Emergency Services, improving his leadership, and stuff... Yes, it is good to progress in ranks, but each cadet has his goals and the things they are trying to reach for... For one person, it may be getting the Mitchell or Spaatz, for another it may be getting the top level on his ES qualifications. Just realize that promotions is not the only part to progressing through the program.  I think I would rather see a C/2nd Lt. with a filled up 101 card and active, then seeing a C/Col who all he has, is his rank.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

IceNine

Quote from: addo1 on September 13, 2008, 08:31:17 PM
Quote from: Cecil DP on September 13, 2008, 08:12:25 PM

..Advance my education and training rapidly... That doesn't have to be in promotions... Promotions and rank are just a small part of the cadet program... As far as you know, he may of been progressing himself very actively in Emergency Services, improving his leadership, and stuff... Yes, it is good to progress in ranks, but each cadet has his goals and the things they are trying to reach for... For one person, it may be getting the Mitchell or Spaatz, for another it may be getting the top level on his ES qualifications. Just realize that promotions is not the only part to progressing through the program.  I think I would rather see a C/2nd Lt. with a filled up 101 card and active, then seeing a C/Col who all he has, is his rank.

All of the things bolded are NOT part of the cadet program. As part of the Termination procedures a cadet can be terminated for "Failure to progress satisfactorily in the CAP cadet program.".  This is not and should not be confused with the other 2 programs ES,AE

So while a C/2Lt with a loaded 101 may be nice it does not satisfy the requirements if they have been a C/2Lt for a year without doing "Flight Commander" requirements or better

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

MIKE

All of which is off topic...
Mike Johnston

ßτε

From CAPR 52-16:

Failure to Progress. Cadets who fail to progress in the Cadet Program by completing at least two achievements per year may be terminated from the program (see CAPR 35-3, Membership Termination).

IceNine

Thank you, couldn't find that anywhere

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

addo1

Ok, I guess that clarifies that for me.  I don't have a problem with it, I just needed a little more education on the matter I guess...  ;)
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

Dutchboy

Quote from: NCO forever on September 12, 2008, 07:13:28 PM
I think it was because to many homeschooled kids were joining at a really young age.

from what I have heard that is exactly it. I have heard there were like 9-10 year old kids joning because they were homeschooled and in 6th grade.