CAP in the News - SAR Success

Started by BigMojo, September 08, 2008, 12:39:11 AM

BigMojo

4 Plucked From Florida Bay After Chopper Crash
MARATHON (CBS4) ― Four people were rescued early Sunday morning from the middle of Florida Bay off Marathon after their helicopter went down about 14 miles off the coast. The FAA is investigating the cause of the accident.

The 4 passengers of a Robinson R-44 helicopter registered to a Miami company were spotted by searchers for the Civil Air Patrol who had been looking for the craft since early Sunday.

The small helicopter was reported missing Saturday.

At about 8:45 am, a Civil Air Patrol search craft from Tampa spotted the helicopter floating upside down in Florida Bay, halfway between the coastline and Marathon.
The four survivors were unharmed and atop the floating helicopter.

The Coast Guard was called to the scene, and their crews pulled the passengers from the water.

The crash survivors were taken to a hospital in the Keys to be checked, but their injuries were not believed to be serious.

http://cbs4.com/local/robinson.helicopter....h.2.811910.html

Facts aren't quite right, but close...I didn't hear of any Coast Guard involvement...we were tasked by the Air Force to find them, and once we did, called in Miami-Dade Fire/Rescue pick them up. Aircrews had them located within 2 hours of launching.

I was rolled out of bed at 3am (I think, I was a little cloudy at that point) to get on the road to ramp check all landing sites between Tamiami and Marathon... After 18hours sitting on the floats of the capsized copter, they were only a little sunburned and dehydrated. Great Work by Aircrews from Groups 3 and 5 and Ground Teams from Groups 6 and 7.
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

Smokey

Kudos to FLWG on this outstanding find.

This is what it's all about folks.  These things we do, "That others may live."
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

hatentx

Congrats on the find and the good news attention.

stratoflyer

No wonder! I saw a news team at Tamiami Airport today filming the MD helicopter flying at the MDFD rescue building. When I checked out my airplane today, I heard a lady talk about the crash, and she said she knew the guy! I even overheard her say that the pilot has gone down before! It was probably from Biscayne Helicopters.

Funny thing is today I had my fair share of airplane trouble. First airplane, while on takeoff run, I noticed the RPM gauge giving only bottom of green arc.. I aborted takeoff and taxied back. Second airplane, ATC kept saying that the radio has a loud high squeal and much static. Third airplane, right as I began taxing, I heard a few clicking sounds in the engine, the avionics flickered for a few seconds, and complete electrical failure! The master switch was not responding!! Fourth airplane, while on takeoff climb, a screw popped out and hung on right on the front engine cowling. It wouldn't fall off, so I landed, and screwed it back on. No further incidents from then on. I even got a discount rate for an SP!!! Someone must like me up there.  :angel:
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

SJFedor

Quote from: stratoflyer on September 08, 2008, 03:20:49 AM
...so I landed, and screwed it back on...

Did you make a notation in the logbook that you re-secured said fastener?  :P

j/k. I sure hope that wasn't all in one day!

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

stratoflyer

Not only in the same day, all within 3 hours! My departure was delayed that much with all that. Looking back now, I really must've wanted to fly to go through all that.
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

Hill CAP

Crank 2 out for FLWG this week some of our guys down in the Naples Area made a find on a twin engine that ditched in the ocean after the SW Florida Control asked them to check out a Mayday call while on final for Naples.
Justin T. Adkinson
Former C/1st Lt and SM Capt
Extended Hiatus Statues

BigMojo

Here's a picture of the crew and survivors I took on the ramp at Marathon right after they got off the rescue helicopter.

Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing