AF wants airmen in Blues

Started by Smokey, September 05, 2008, 07:05:11 PM

Smokey

From the AF Times....
Schwartz orders airmen in blue on Mondays

By Erik Holmes - Staff writer
Posted : Friday Sep 5, 2008 12:50:23 EDT

Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Norton Schwartz is requiring most airmen to wear their service dress uniforms every Monday beginning Sept. 8, according to a Sept. 4 memo he sent to all service members.

Airmen had been allowed — and later required — to wear their airman battle uniforms, battle dress uniforms or flight suits to the office.

The policy change came out of an Aug. 27 leadership summit convened by Schwartz and acting Secretary Michael Donley at Bolling Air Force Base in Washington, D.C.

"Post-9/11, we've moved away from our blue uniforms almost altogether and have transformed into an Air Force that wears our utility uniform on a daily basis," Schwartz said in the memo. "During our recent 4-star summit, we had several discussions concerning our uniforms ... [and] we all agreed that part of our image, culture and professionalism is instilled in our blues."

The policy will not apply to all airmen. For some career fields — presumably in messy jobs such as maintenance and for personnel who often work outdoors, such as security forces — wearing blues won't make sense. Pilots will wear dress blues on Mondays when they are not flying.

The decisions on who will continue to wear ABUs and BDUs on Mondays will be left up to base commanders.

The current practice of airmen wearing ABUs and BDUs almost all the time originated under Gen. John Jumper, the chief of staff at the time of the 2001 terrorist attacks. Then, in summer 2003, Jumper directed that airmen begin to return to service dress as the uniform of the day. But Gen. T. Michael Moseley reversed that decision when he became chief of staff in late 2005, arguing that the nation was still at war and that airmen should dress like it.

He said at the time that his decision was closely related to his effort to instill a "war-fighting ethos" in Air Force culture, one of his main priorities as chief.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

dwb

Wear blues!  Don't wear blues!  Wear blues!  Don't wear blues!

JoeTomasone

OK, I'm confused: They are only supposed to look professional on Monday? ???

Eclipse

I personally know several active or reservists that are going to need the weekend to find their uniforms or blow the dust off of them.   ;D

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

Even the AF Times can't seem to get the terminology right?  I kinda doubt your average airmen will be wearing service dress as the UoD... Or at least the coat will be coming off when they get to their desk.
Mike Johnston

adamblank

The official guidance (which can vary on interpretation by MAJCOM etc.) is any combination of blues from short-sleeve to service dress.  Most good sense tells me it will be short-sleeves on Monday.
Adam Brandao

Stonewall

I kid you not.  While I was assigned to a joint service office in the Pentagon in 1995 for a year, the AF MSgt in charge of us created "civlian clothes Friday"....now they have "military Monday"....how military of them.
Serving since 1987.

bosshawk

An old saying goes something like this: the more things change, the more they stay the same.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Pumbaa

Ties on Tuesday!!!

Thongs on Thursday!

Major Carrales

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Stonewall

PT tests by correspondence?  Heck yeah!

9.  How many push-ups should you be able to do in one minute?

a.  2
b. 15
c.  28
d. 40
Serving since 1987.

stratoflyer

"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

SAR-EMT1

C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DC

Coast Guard...  :D

No offense to the Auxies...

Pumbaa

Ford73Diesel

Quote from: DC on September 06, 2008, 08:17:22 AM

It offends me, not an auxie but a cap cadet and a CG reservist.

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: markh on September 06, 2008, 10:46:39 PM

Pretty thin-skinned if that gets to you.  I suppose I won't make the usual "Have to be 6 foot tall to join the Coast Guard so if the boat sinks you can wade ashore" jokes.
Another former CAP officer

DC

Quote from: markh on September 06, 2008, 10:46:39 PM

Chill, It was a joke.

Smokey

:D :D :D :D

Kack you owe me a keyboard.......

And answer your phone...your voicemail is full too!
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.