Changes to CAPR 39-2, CAP Membership

Started by Capt Rivera, September 05, 2008, 05:03:44 PM

Capt Rivera

http://level2.cap.gov/documents/2008_09_04_Membership.pdf

Summary:

• QuoteA revised CAP Form 12 was approved for use beginning 1 October 2008.
    • QuoteAdditionally, current members due to renew their membership after 1 October 2008 will be required to reconfirm their adherence to the Oath upon their membership renewal
    • QuoteA new application form, CAP Form 12L, for State Legislative members was also approved.
    • QuoteThis year two regions and 13 wings have changed their dues. Renewal notices for those members due to renew in October 2008 contain these new amounts.
    • QuoteA change to the requirement to complete 50 years of continuous service in Civil Air Patrol

Sorry I didn't give you more info in the summary, Have not figured out how to make sub bullets...

I don't get the new legislative application. Why would they NOT have to have the same oath as us? Why would the rest of the Officer Application be N/A? (I believe they are able to do SAR and function as a normal CAP member.) Are they now able to be assigned to ANY local squadron? (I thought they were put into their own squadrons (IE: ND legislative Squadron).[/list][/list]
    //Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
    Squadron Commander
    Grand Forks Composite Squadron
    North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
    http://www.grandforkscap.org

jimmydeanno

Quote from: RiveraJ on September 05, 2008, 05:03:44 PM
      • QuoteA change to the requirement to complete 50 years of continuous service in Civil Air Patrol

Interesting, if our 12 year olds complete 50 years of service they'll need to live to be 112 years old to get the full benefit of this.
      If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Capt Rivera

Quote from: jimmydeanno on September 05, 2008, 05:23:50 PM

Interesting, if our 12 year olds complete 50 years of service they'll need to live to be 112 years old to get the full benefit of this.

What do you mean?
      //Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
      Squadron Commander

jimmydeanno

Quote from: RiveraJ on September 05, 2008, 05:37:42 PM
      Quote from: jimmydeanno on September 05, 2008, 05:23:50 PM

What do you mean?

Meh, I was just being dumb.  The block says

Quote5. A change to the requirement to complete 50 years of continuous service in Civil Air Patrol to qualify for the fifty-year free membership was also approved. Individuals who have a total of 50 years of service, not necessarily continuous, are now eligible for the fifty-year free membership. The wing commander is still required to submit a letter to National Headquarters verifying the 50 years of total service.

I read it as "buy 50 years get 50 free." But instead it is just free membership after 50 years of service.
      If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

...and its not as uncommon as you might think for this to effect someone who was a cadet, took a few years off, rejoined as a senior, and can't get the free membership because their service wasn't continuous.

"That Others May Zoom"

SilverEagle2

Means that I have 45 to go until I get my free membership now that I rejoined as a senior.

Let's see, I'll be 78 years old. Wow, wonder how many finds I'll have then.
           Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
      Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
      they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
      Gerald G. Probst,
      Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

AlphaSigOU

Lessee.... I gotta go get me a signed statement from a current or former cadink/senior member (or two or three or four) vouching for my previous 11 years of service as both a 'dink and a senior member; unless NHQ CAP unearths records of my membership somewhere in the bowels of the NHQ archives. Unfortunately, three of my previous squadron commanders from my days as a cadink are deceased.

Just renewed for my fourth year back in CAP. (And they ask me why I drink?!?) Maybe a third clasp for the Red Service Ribbon... 35 more years to go before a free membership!  >:D
      Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
      Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
      Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
      Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
      Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
      Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
      KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

SarDragon

I can prove about 32 years. I have my olde cadet record, some olde membership cards, some certificates, basically stuff with dates, and my name.
      Dave Bowles
      Maj, CAP
      AT1, USN Retired
      50 Year Member
      Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
      C/WO, CAP, Ret

Capt Rivera

anyway... as compelling as it is to know when everyone qualifies for free membership... can we discuss anything else or was that the only important change?

edit: random idea just now, does this work for patrons or sponsor? Can I sign my 7yr old up as a patron and when he's 57 [hoping he stays with CAP] he's free...?

I'm surprised no one who is having a dues increase is saying... "I'll just renew early and save $x."

And then theres my original questions about the new application....
      //Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
      Squadron Commander

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: RiveraJ on September 06, 2008, 12:33:30 PM
      anyway... as compelling as it is to know when everyone qualifies for free membership... can we discuss anything else or was that the only important change?

edit: random idea just now, does this work for patrons or sponsor? Can I sign my 7yr old up as a patron and when he's 57 [hoping he stays with CAP] he's free...?

I'm surprised no one who is having a dues increase is saying... "I'll just renew early and save $x."

And then theres my original questions about the new application....

That was the major change, along with the oath of membership. Way back when I was a cadink there used to be an 'Associate Member' category that was mainly used for children not yet of cadet age.
      Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
      Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
      Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
      Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
      Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
      Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
      KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Capt Rivera

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on September 06, 2008, 02:34:30 PM
      That was the major change, along with the oath of membership. Way back when I was a cadink there used to be an 'Associate Member' category that was mainly used for children not yet of cadet age.

I agree it is major... but I just didn't want to see anymore people letting us know it will take them 45, 30, 20, 5 or 1 year till they are free.... I'm glad it benefits them, and if it does not change it will someday help me... well it will help my squadron as my membership dues would probably just go directly to the squadron....
      //Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
      Squadron Commander

Grumpy

Quote from: SarDragon on September 06, 2008, 07:46:57 AM
      I can prove about 32 years. I have my olde cadet record, some olde membership cards, some certificates, basically stuff with dates, and my name.

I've got some PA for encampment in 1962 with my name on it and my COP from 1963.
      That's about it, I guess it'll only get me credit for two "old timer" years.

Cecil DP

I have my CAP Retirement certificate from 1999 affirming 28 years. So now I have to wait another 12 to complete 50. Of course in 1991 the NEC authorized paid life memberships which promptly disappeared.
      Michael P. McEleney
      LtCol CAP
      MSG  USA Retired
      GRW#436 Feb 85

Pylon

Quote from: Cecil DP on September 07, 2008, 07:31:46 PM
      I have my CAP Retirement certificate from 1999 affirming 28 years. So now I have to wait another 12 to complete 50. Of course in 1991 the NEC authorized paid life memberships which promptly disappeared.

If you retired, why would you have to worry about dues?  Do they really make retired members pay dues to keep some sort of "retired member" status?
      Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Cecil DP

Quote from: Pylon on September 07, 2008, 10:03:09 PM
      Quote from: Cecil DP on September 07, 2008, 07:31:46 PM

If you retired, why would you have to worry about dues?  Do they really make retired members pay dues to keep some sort of "retired member" status?

No. I retired and then missed it, so I rejoined.
      Michael P. McEleney
      LtCol CAP
      MSG  USA Retired
      GRW#436 Feb 85

jimmydeanno

Quote from: RiveraJ on September 06, 2008, 12:33:30 PM

I'm not worried about it, my wing's dues aren't increasing and they're the least in the whole organization...