Sniffer Direction Finder

Started by capes, August 22, 2008, 08:00:57 PM

capes

Does anyone have any information on a Sniffer (I think it is called).  It is a homemade direction finder - I saw one a few years ago, and it worked almost as well as an L'Per.

BigMojo

No, no, no...The L'Per almost works as well as the Sniffer!

And you can by three Sniffers for the price of one L'Per.
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

JoeTomasone

Quote from: BigMojo on August 24, 2008, 03:17:30 PM

Not in my testing.   The L-Per isn't as sensitive and is much more susceptible to refelection-induced errors.

No joke.   $300 or so out the door with a beam antenna.

PHall

Quote from: JoeTomasone on August 24, 2008, 06:31:56 PM

Not in my testing.   The L-Per isn't as sensitive and is much more susceptible to refelection-induced errors.

No joke.   $300 or so out the door with a beam antenna.

And have you contacted L-Tronics with your problems with the L-Per?

L-Tronics is not a big corperation. It's a small business that is owned and operated by a long time CAP member.

You have a problem with their products or a suggestion to make their stuff better, contact them.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: PHall on August 24, 2008, 06:37:20 PM

And have you contacted L-Tronics with your problems with the L-Per?

L-Tronics is not a big corperation. It's a small business that is owned and operated by a long time CAP member.

You have a problem with their products or a suggestion to make their stuff better, contact them.

I haven't because the problems are mostly inherent to the design and approach.

As I mentioned in the other thread, the L-Per works on a time domain approach across multiple antennas.   The Sniffer (as most/all of us use it) works on signal strength from a beam antenna.   While you *could* use the L-Per in receive mode with a beam, the beauty of the Sniffer is that it not only converts signal strength into a tone (which is much easier to discern subtle changes in than the sweep tone), it also has an automatic 9-step attenuator.   We could ask that these features be incorporated into the L-Per, but we've already identified a unit that does it, is much smaller and lighter, and is 1/3 1/2 the current cost.

As a bonus, the Sniffer can be used to DF on CAP & Ham frequencies, allowing for the possibility of tracking jammers on either, or practice in Amateur Radio foxhunts. (Note: As can the new LL-16 L-Per)

Now, bear in mind that I have not checked the new L-Per's receive sensitivity (orange unit with fold-in antennas) to compare it with the Sniffer, but I did check the old L-Per (with the huge wooden antenna unit)
and found the Sniffer to be more sensitive - meaning AOS at greater distances (2.5 vs. 3 miles in my testing with a practice beacon).  But given what I feel is the far superior performance in actual ELT work and the cost differential, I had no reason to check it.

PHall

Well, lets see, the Original L-Per was designed in the 70's. The Sniffer was designed when?
I think the "state of the art" has improved a little since the 70's.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: PHall on August 24, 2008, 11:55:47 PM
Well, lets see, the Original L-Per was designed in the 70's. The Sniffer was designed when?
I think the "state of the art" has improved a little since the 70's.

Indeed it has.

http://www.ltronics.com/ll-16df.htm

..The Sniffer still beat it in our testing; it fared little better than the older unit (the LH-16).  The operational theory hasn't changed any - it's just better and much nicer updated hardware. 

And I see that there is a new price of $750.00 - making the Sniffer only half the price, not a third.

BigMojo

I still stand with Joe. A smaller, lighter, cheaper, and in my opinion better product...it's a no-brainer to me.  (I really like your mini-beam Joe, saving my pennies now).

L-Tronics should be doing more market research.... How many of our new aircraft carry l-tronics DF's now....None. They have the Becker, which is a better system. I would think that when they notice a continual stream of sales dry-up they'dd do something about it.

Lead the market, or it will lead you.
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing