Main Menu

dead on DF Antenna

Started by IceNine, August 11, 2008, 06:16:31 AM

IceNine

My Ops officer called me the other day raving about how Sierra Hotel these antenna's are. http://www.arrowantennas.com/foxhunter.html

So, I decided to test this thing out.  We put it on a regular A/C band hand held and went to town.  It doesn't require body blocking, or really any ability. except the ability to interpret direction with a little triangualtion.

We used the antenna and  4 MHz. Offset Attenuator which proved to be necessary when you get close.

The drawback was that it is deaf outside about 1.5 miles, so you will still need the h-bar antenna to get you in there but once you get close you can't go wrong
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

BigMojo

They are nice. The loop acts as your body block by nulling the signal. They do tend to get a little tricky when in a "reflection hell" type area.
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

PHall

Quote from: BigMojo on August 11, 2008, 03:23:33 PM
They are nice. The loop acts as your body block by nulling the signal. They do tend to get a little tricky when in a "reflection hell" type area.

That's when I go to the "rubber duckie" antenna and start doing the body shield thing.
All I can say is that it works for me!

BigMojo

I do the same...

BTW Arrow Antenna is where I got my handheld beam from...it's a 3 element and works great as well.
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

JoeTomasone

The Diamond MAY-1000 is $80.00 at Ham Radio Outlet and works quite well also, especially in conjunction with the MK4 Sniffer.

vento

Quote from: JoeTomasone on August 11, 2008, 09:32:01 PM
The Diamond MAY-1000 is $80.00 at Ham Radio Outlet and works quite well also, especially in conjunction with the MK4 Sniffer.

Just found out that the Diamond May-1000 is now discontinued. Does anybody know of a similar antenna that works with the Sniffer without going to the Arrow antenna with the 4 MHz offset attenuator? We get a lot of reflections in some part of So California.

Thanks in advance for your help.

vento

Quote from: vento on January 06, 2010, 02:10:49 AM
Quote from: JoeTomasone on August 11, 2008, 09:32:01 PM

Just found out that the Diamond May-1000 is now discontinued. Does anybody know of a similar antenna that works with the Sniffer without going to the Arrow antenna with the 4 MHz offset attenuator? We get a lot of reflections in some part of So California.

Thanks in advance for your help.

A quick self-update.

I drove to Diamond's office in San Marcos, California. They were able to help me locate a May-1000.  :)

According to the gentleman (Steve) who helped me, they have two units left in their special stock, reserved for special needs. They are more than happy to sell the last two units to you if you are buying it for use with the Civil Air Patrol, otherwise the unit (May-1000) is pretty much discontinued for good.

JoeTomasone

Did they mention if they intend to continue to sell replacement parts for repair purposes?

vento

Quote from: JoeTomasone on January 14, 2010, 06:14:07 PM
Did they mention if they intend to continue to sell replacement parts for repair purposes?

I didn't ask. However, the reason for being discontinued is because the antenna is actually imported from Japan and the OEM doubled the cost, making it cost prohibitive for Diamond to continue offering the unit without substantially raising the selling price.

JoeTomasone

Interesting.  Too bad they can't source it somewhere else. 

Major Lord

Sounds like a good home business for somebody!

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."