Community Service Ribbon for Cadets

Started by Snake Doctor, July 30, 2008, 10:26:21 PM

Snake Doctor

Does anyone have the clarification letter on the Cadet Community Service Ribbon?
Paul Hertel, Lt Col, Civil Air Patrol
Wing Chief Of Staff
Assistant Wing PAO
Illinois Wing

Pylon

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

sjtrupp

I don't know of a letter, but there is some infomation on cadet page about special awards for cadets

http://www.cap.gov/visitors/members/cadet_programs/index.cfm?nodeID=6718&audienceID=4

QuoteCAP COMMUNITY SERVICE RIBBON
Cadets who complete at least 60-hours of community service are eligible for the Community Service Ribbon. 

"The single greatest predictor of whether a college student will make community service a  priority is whether or not they volunteered in high school." -- American Association of Colleges & Universities. In other words, a cadet's involvement in community service is a key indicator of the attitudes they will have toward service and citizenship as adults.

Award criteria for this ribbon is found in CAPR 39-3.  In addition to the criteria listed in that regulation, there are a few assumptions about this ribbon:
1. That the community service occurred outside of CAP.
2. That a CAP member is not verifying the cadet's community service (unless, of course, this CAP member can speak for the outside organization, and sign the verifying letter for the outside organization).
3. The regulation does not require that the verification be on an organizational letterhead, but most outside agencies would probably use their letterheads when verifying someone's volunteer participation.
4. There are no devices currently authorized for this ribbon.
Note:  We have coordinated this clarification with the author of CAPR 39-3 (Ms. Susie Parker), so that she will have this information available to her when CAPR 39-3 is available for review.

Snake Doctor

I could swear I saw a letter..............................
Thanks for the reference.  Just what I needed!
Wing Chief Of Staff
Assistant Wing PAO
Illinois Wing

Pylon

Quote from: Snake Doctor on July 31, 2008, 02:12:35 PM
I could swear I saw a letter..............................
Thanks for the reference.  Just what I needed!

I believe you may have seen a proposed agenda item that, in its various forms, contained a modification to the 39-3 wording restricting the community service to that performed outside CAP-organized activities, and may have also included proposing a senior member community service ribbon.   A form of that proposal may be on the final agenda for the National Boards in August, but nothing has been changed as of right now.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

IceNine

Maybe you're referring to the clarification letter for cadet uniform wear
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Snake Doctor

Pylon jogged my memory.  It was the national Board Meeting agenda item I saw.

Thanks all!
Wing Chief Of Staff
Assistant Wing PAO
Illinois Wing