Mandated uniform inspections for officers

Started by RiverAux, July 30, 2008, 03:44:49 AM

Should there be some sort of program whereby squadrons are mandated to hold uniform inspections for officers on a regular basis?

Yes, for all "military style" uniforms
38 (54.3%)
Yes, but just for Air Force style uniforms
8 (11.4%)
Yes, but just for CAP corporate military style uniforms
1 (1.4%)
Not only no, but heck no!
23 (32.9%)

Total Members Voted: 70

RiverAux

No, the point is to inspect the uniforms that our members actually own and wear.  I'm not seeing how anybody is harmed if one night a small number of people who own one of the "rare" uniforms gets inspected while they don't. 

Did you read that I was NOT proposing that everybody buy every uniform???? 

lordmonar

Quote from: RiverAux on August 01, 2008, 07:00:42 PM
lordm-- nowhere did I say that I was expecting every member to buy all possible uniform combinations and I don't think I've ever heard anyone do that, so your cost quotes are meaningless. 

The suggested schedule was to account for those who actually do own multiple uniforms.  If someone didn't have the uniform being inspected that night, obviously they would wear another appropriate uniform instead. 

I did not say nor imply that you were mandating we buy every uniform........I was just saying....if I only own one uniform I will only be inspected once every two years.   What good does that do?

Having said that.  Commanders, unit leaderes and peers SHOULD be inspecting themselves and each other EVERY TIME THEY WEAR THE UNIFORM having formal inspecitons is good....but it is just as easy to look over your people and make sure that those uniforms that need help get the attention they deserve.

Mandating formal inspections just means more useless paper work that has to be tracked and filed.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

QuoteI was just saying....if I only own one uniform I will only be inspected once every two years.   What good does that do?
Thats fair.  However, if you only own 1 uniform and it gets through inspection, why would you need to get reinspected every quarter (or every meeting) for that matter?  The only thing that would catch are a few temporary issues like wrinkles, threads, etc. 

I'm just trying to be realistic about this issue.  It is important and deserves some time and attention on the senior side of the house, but not so much that we let it totally distract us from other things.     

SoCalCAPOfficer

Quote from: jaybird512 on July 30, 2008, 06:22:16 AM
I say definitely yes.  If you want to fly for cheap, then you gotta play by the rules.

I agree in playing by the rules, but there is no such thing as flying cheap!!  Every pilot I know spends thousands of dollars a year out of their own pockets to maintain proficiency.   Typical cost for the 182 is now over $100.00 an hour wet.

Flying and Cheap  are mutually exclusive words.
Daniel L. Hough, Maj, CAP
Commander
Hemet Ryan Sq 59  PCR-CA-458

lordmonar

Quote from: RiverAux on August 01, 2008, 11:27:05 PM
QuoteI was just saying....if I only own one uniform I will only be inspected once every two years.   What good does that do?
Thats fair.  However, if you only own 1 uniform and it gets through inspection, why would you need to get reinspected every quarter (or every meeting) for that matter?  The only thing that would catch are a few temporary issues like wrinkles, threads, etc. 

Then the whole point of this exercise is to force all units to follow the perscribed inspectionn schedule so you can catch the one guy or two guys who don't know how to wear their blues properly?  I can do that in 20 seconds on any day of the week....and so can you.

If you"mandate" a quarterly inspection schedule...then just like our safey breifings we are going to have to track who and when we conducted said mandated inspections.  More paper work.  And before you claim that there would be no paper work....I'm going to tell you right now...anything that does not require a paper train that can be inspected during an SUI is NOT going to be accomplished.

Quote from: RiverAux on August 01, 2008, 11:27:05 PMI'm just trying to be realistic about this issue.  It is important and deserves some time and attention on the senior side of the house, but not so much that we let it totally distract us from other things.     

If you are trying to be realistic.....just approch those guys in your squadron who look like they need help and help them out.  If you are not the commander put pressure on him make uniforms a prioity.  As was stated below why are you trying to punish (add more requirments) the rest of us, because of a few guys who don't follow the rules.

RiverAux

QuoteIf you"mandate" a quarterly inspection schedule...then just like our safey breifings we are going to have to track who and when we conducted said mandated inspections.  More paper work.  And before you claim that there would be no paper work....
Have you forgotten that compliance with the uniform regulations is MANDATORY now and there isn't any paperwork associated with it?  In fact, compliance with the vast majority of CAP regulations are not tracked on paper or by any other means.  Is there a requirement to document that every CAP flight was conducted without anyone lighting up a cigarette (60-1 2-1b)?   

ZigZag911

Back when I was a group CC we had a quarterly personnel inspection at commanders call...the whole group staff (including me!) and the squadron commanders got checked.

No records or reports were kept; it was both instructional, and by way of setting a positive example -- because I asked the squadron commanders to do the same thing at least quarterly in their units, an "all hands inspection".

Again, there were no reports, no paperwork. No need: when we did the SUI or SAV
every unit got one or the other annually), when we visited squadrons to conduct or participate in training, when we saw personnel at missions, activities, promotion boards -- it was readily apparent which squadrons gave due attention to proper uniform wear, and which let it slide.

Those squadron commanders who let it slide got counseled by my deputy or me.
Generally improvement followed.

lordmonar

Quote from: RiverAux on August 02, 2008, 01:26:18 AM
QuoteIf you"mandate" a quarterly inspection schedule...then just like our safey breifings we are going to have to track who and when we conducted said mandated inspections.  More paper work.  And before you claim that there would be no paper work....
Have you forgotten that compliance with the uniform regulations is MANDATORY now and there isn't any paperwork associated with it?  In fact, compliance with the vast majority of CAP regulations are not tracked on paper or by any other means.  Is there a requirement to document that every CAP flight was conducted without anyone lighting up a cigarette (60-1 2-1b)?   

Yes...but now you are mandating uniform inspectons on a set schedule with a specific uniform.  That is totally different than saying don't light up in CAP aircraft.

For your idea to work....not only do the inspections have to take place....they must be documented (otherwise how would we know they took place).  Just look at our safety program to see the type of adminstrative over head you are adding.

We are supposed to be safe all the time (just like we are supposed to wear our uniforms properly all the time)....but the safety gods says that once a month a safety breifing must take place (just as you suggest a quartly uniform inspection takes place.).....and everyone who is breifed must be entered into WMU for tracking and compliance varification (as I assume we would have to do with the quarterly uniform inspections).

lordmonar

Quote from: ZigZag911 on August 02, 2008, 04:35:39 AM
Back when I was a group CC we had a quarterly personnel inspection at commanders call...the whole group staff (including me!) and the squadron commanders got checked.

No records or reports were kept; it was both instructional, and by way of setting a positive example -- because I asked the squadron commanders to do the same thing at least quarterly in their units, an "all hands inspection".

Again, there were no reports, no paperwork. No need: when we did the SUI or SAV
every unit got one or the other annually), when we visited squadrons to conduct or participate in training, when we saw personnel at missions, activities, promotion boards -- it was readily apparent which squadrons gave due attention to proper uniform wear, and which let it slide.

Those squadron commanders who let it slide got counseled by my deputy or me.
Generally improvement followed.

And that is as it should be.  Everytime we wear the uniform we should be "inspecting" ourselves.  And commanders and leaders at the appropriate level should be taking care of buisness.  This does not mean we have to all get into line and do open ranks.   But mandating specific uniforms on a specific schedules is just extra work.

RiverAux

Finally tally, 2/3 of voters favored some version of mandated inspection program. 

Major Carrales

Quote from: RiverAux on August 08, 2008, 07:22:32 PM
Finally tally, 2/3 of voters favored some version of mandated inspection program. 

"We'll keep that in mind, Mr. Bailey," said Capt Kirk to the implusive Mr Bailey, "when this becomes a democracy."  -The Corbomire Maneuver
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

RiverAux

Ah, but should the idea ever be taken seriously, it will approved or disapproved in a democratic fashion...  Getting it to that point is the problem.