Should a person have to live in the WING / REGION where they are a Memeber?

Started by Major Carrales, June 16, 2008, 06:20:36 PM

Major Carrales

Quote from: Pylon on June 17, 2008, 02:38:11 AM
Your answer already in my previous post:
Quote from: Pylon on June 17, 2008, 02:16:23 AMI side with Ned's assessment.

Which is:
Quote from: Ned on June 16, 2008, 06:45:10 PM
RESOLVED:  A member may be a member of any unit wherein the commander believes that the member makes a valuable contribution to our mission.

If you read the reply I made, you will note that I did not give the fellow from outside the Region the opportunity to "side step" the chain of command.  Obviously a CAP Officer from some other place that never intended to truly be a part of the unit would be nothing more than a name on a ROLL.  At the time, while we needed numbers, we also needed active CAP members to build the unit.

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

CASH172

In order to get to the most geographically closest unit, I'd have to cross a bridge that costs $8.  Plus on top of that, parking is murder.  For that reason, I stay with my home state.  There are no tolls to get to my current unit.  Of course those reasons don't really apply to most people in the US at all.  Just putting out my thing. 

Short Field

LOL   :D

I was recently suprised to find out that Nevada Wing has a squadron that is in California.  Why - they are just across the border into California and way the heck away from any other CA units.

You should be able to go with what works for you.  No one owns exclusive rights to our volunteers.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

lordmonar

On another note....let's look at PCR....if the Regional CC came from HAWG or ALWG.....he would be just as out of pocket for controling the region then someone from UTWG or AZWG.

So....I think this is really a non issue.  If the individual is effective....it does not matter where he/she actually lives.

And doesn't this go back to the argument about hiring the best guy for the job?  If the best person for a Wing CC job lives in the next state...and he can effectively do his job from that location...what's the problem?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

kpetersen

Nebraska has a squadron that is technically in Iowa.  I believe it started out in Nebraska, moved to South Dakota, and then ended up in Iowa (there may have been one or two other moves).

When I started college, I stayed at my home squadron about an hour away and would make the drive every week.  After about 2 years of it (along with not having anything to work on at the squadron), I opted to transfer to a different squadron about 15 miles south of me, because I knew some of the people there, rather than the one that was about a mile north of campus.  The more south squadron also has a decent size population of members that live in Iowa, because there's not a squadron in Council Bluffs.

Additionally, our wing webmaster is moving to Texas, but is still going to be 90% functional (I'll step in with the physical work when he asks me to), and one of the positions on NCR CP staff is headed by a guy in Texas.

Honestly, at the region levels, as long as people can make it to the stuff they need to attend, I don't see a need for them to live within the region.  The region generally is spread far enough out that people seldom meet in person anyway.
Kat Petersen, Maj, CAP

gistek

In my opinion, Cadets under 18 years old should be strongly encouraged to join or transfer to the unit they attend most. It doesn't matter if it's in their home state.

For Airmen and NCO's the rapid promotion possibilities make long distance record keeping very difficult. For Cadet officers, transferring to the unit you attend helps build the confidence of the cadets under your command.

Cadets in college are less likely to be facing the every-two-month promotion record keeping nightmare, so it doesn't matter as much where they retain their membership, as long as they take the responsibility to keep their chains of command informed.

I'd also recommend that Senior Members at the unit or group level be members of the unit they attend most.

While it's probably best if the Wing Commander is a resident of the state they command, the smaller stated may have difficulty with this. Therefore I'd recommend the Wing commander live within their state or an adjoining state.

RickFranz

Quote from: gistek on June 22, 2008, 06:01:03 PM

For Airmen and NCO's the rapid promotion possibilities make long distance record keeping very difficult.

I'm not trying to start anything, it's just that now you can keep up with Cadet promotions through E-services.  Really makes record keeping fairly straight forward.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

ThorntonOL

I've been in the same unit since i joined in 2000 but both the unit and I have moved.
The unit moved another 15 mintues away while I moved from NY to PA.
Now it is not the closest unit but it's still closer than any in PA.
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron