My doctor has told me to quit reading "Volunteer."

Started by JohnKachenmeister, June 08, 2008, 10:23:22 PM

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: mikeylikey on June 12, 2008, 02:15:52 AM
Is that one soldier......stepping on a dead dog?

I don't know.  At first I thought that might be human bone fragments.  I'm still not sure what that is.
Another former CAP officer

Hawk200

You'd think that with Photoshop and similar programs available nowadows, we could edit a number of the minor issues out. Maybe not as far as replacing a beret or "shedding some pounds" for someone, but we could handle a few unauthorized insignia.

How many people might fix their uniforms if they looked at their little writeup in Volunteer, and found that some of their "special" insignia or the like got removed? Then again, on the flip side, people might take the attitude that "oh, if my uniform is wrong, they'll just edit it".

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Hawk200 on June 12, 2008, 12:27:32 PM
You'd think that with Photoshop and similar programs available nowadows, we could edit a number of the minor issues out. Maybe not as far as replacing a beret or "shedding some pounds" for someone, but we could handle a few unauthorized insignia.

How many people might fix their uniforms if they looked at their little writeup in Volunteer, and found that some of their "special" insignia or the like got removed? Then again, on the flip side, people might take the attitude that "oh, if my uniform is wrong, they'll just edit it".

Hawk:

I had to deal with that issue in the Army, back in the Dark Ages of 35mm film.  Yes, you CAN edit out some things, but other things kill the photo.

But being the editor of a newsmagazine for the military also allows you to contact submitters of photos, and tell them what they did wrong.  I didn't contact them on every mistake, but chronic ones, yes, I would call them.

The key, to me, is to shoot the heck out of the story.  If you submit 1-2 photos and they are bad, the photos get killed and maybe the story dies with it.  If you submit 20-30 photos I'm sure I can select 1 that can be made to work.

RiverAux

QuoteIn 1943, the CAP had just transitioned to Army uniforms,
No, they'd been wearing Army uniforms since about mid-1942.

capchiro

According to today's reg's, it doesn't matter which side of the waist that the flight cap is tucked into as long as it doesn't fold over the belt and is between the first and second belt loops.
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

RiverAux

You guys totally missed my point....I was making fun of those who get too nitpicky about photographs....

Eclipse

Actually, they do it on a regular basis - the MAJCOM, for example, seems to be of particular interest to the photo editors.

"That Others May Zoom"

mikeylikey

Quote from: Eclipse on June 12, 2008, 01:13:25 PM

Actually, they do it on a regular basis - the MAJCOM, for example, seems to be of particular interest to the photo editors.

For the Katrina Deployment......NHQ hugely editd every single picture that had a PAWG member in it.  Why.....unauthorized Ranger CRAP, belts, whistles, orange t-shirts, ascots etc. 
What's up monkeys?

JohnKachenmeister

So, somebody at NHQ DOES understand the importance of a uniform image in our flagship publication.

Or... at least there USED to be someone there who did.

mikeylikey

^ They sure did.  But I am almost positive he or she was replaced with just a more expensive photoshop program, that has not been installed yet. 

pawingcap.com has issues of the Wings magazine with pictures of its members who deployed for Katrina, you can look at those pictures then look at the pictures that NHQ published in the months following the mission.  My favorite is of a Female Cadet wearing an Orange ballcap and Orange "Ranger" shirt, then the NHQ version has her in a BDU Cover, and painted the orange shirt black. 

hahahaha

Weird.  NHQ should have just not even published PAWG's uniform violating pics in my opinion. 
What's up monkeys?

Major Carrales

Quote from: mikeylikey on June 13, 2008, 02:33:27 PM
^ They sure did.  But I am almost positive he or she was replaced with just a more expensive photoshop program, that has not been installed yet. 

pawingcap.com has issues of the Wings magazine with pictures of its members who deployed for Katrina, you can look at those pictures then look at the pictures that NHQ published in the months following the mission.  My favorite is of a Female Cadet wearing an Orange ballcap and Orange "Ranger" shirt, then the NHQ version has her in a BDU Cover, and painted the orange shirt black. 

hahahaha

Weird.  NHQ should have just not even published PAWG's uniform violating pics in my opinion. 

Winston Smith would be proud!!!  But not so much as O'Brien!!!
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Major Carrales on June 13, 2008, 05:50:36 PM

hahahaha

Don't look at me... I'm just an old Prole!  I don't even know anyone in the Inner Party.

Major Carrales

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on June 13, 2008, 08:52:16 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on June 13, 2008, 05:50:36 PM

hahahaha

Don't look at me... I'm just an old Prole!  I don't even know anyone in the Inner Party.

Well, I've been teaching in Room 101 for ten years now.  How many fingers am I holding up?

Commander
SWR-TX-454

SJFedor

CAP News Online is going to give me a stroke too.

Story about a CAP cadet receiving a flight scholarship. Great job. Except that it's a CAP cadet that received it, and he's wearing his NJROTC uniform.

And don't even get me STARTED on that Lt Col standing there. I've yet to find one thing RIGHT about the uniform.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

JohnKachenmeister

OMG!!!!!!!

That's all I can say.

I thought the guy getting the award was Prince Harry or somebody.

Also... Florida hasn't had that wing patch since the Last Supper.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on June 14, 2008, 03:08:07 AM
OMG!!!!!!!

That's all I can say.

I thought the guy getting the award was Prince Harry or somebody.

Also... Florida hasn't had that wing patch since the Last Supper.

Bring back the 'Pregnant Alligator' patch! Get rid of the Pineda seal patch!  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

MIKE

Offtopic:  Death to patches, wing or otherwise.

Back to topic.
Mike Johnston

mikeylikey

^ totally 100% agree!!!

Plus anyone know where I can get a belt like that Lt Col is wearing.  Those are allowed......right?!?!
What's up monkeys?

Major Carrales

I see you people can't help but make fun of people. 

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Smithsonia

For those of you that don't know better... pointing at the picture of the celebrating family and making snide and derogatory comments about real people who are there to do something besides provide you with entertainment... makes you all look rather bad. No I'll take that back, it makes you look very bad. If you have no shame try to develop some manners. "Petty tyrants of the menial kind, come in very nice uniforms, sometimes." That was written for El Duce in WW2, but works here also.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN
With regards;
ED OBRIEN