Senior Member NCO Rank (Insignia)

Started by supplyguy, May 31, 2008, 11:41:23 PM

supplyguy

Hello,
MY name is Kraig Morris. I am a 1LT and am aeligible for Captain but I am also a Army Reserve E-6 SSG. I would be honored to be a Captain but I am leaning towards an E-6. I wanted to know if I pick e-6 would I wear AF TSgt on my BDU's and also TSgt shoulder boards as I don't see any CAP NCO rank @ CAPMART or Hockshop. I also am not really sure as if I picked this is it approved at Squadron level and doesn't show up in NHQ records. I greatly appreciate guidance as I want to be squared away. Thank You.

RiverAux

You would wear AF shoulder sleeve insignia.  Not sure about boards. 

supplyguy

Thanks,
I also wondered about Class A's as would I wear the U.S. as Sr Mbr officers do on the collar.
They also wore that as AF officers when I was in the AF but that was over 20 years ago and I can barely keep up with the Army.
Kraig

supplyguy

I have another question.

If what I know about squadron being promotion authority,what would I be grade wise in eyes of NHQ if I become a CAP TSgt.

supplyguy

I am asking all these questions so I don't look like a "Soup Sandwich". if I go NCO route.
I like to have all my ducks in a row

mikeylikey

I think you would wear the enlisted US cutouts (those new circular ones).  Vanguard does have NCO sleeves and stripes. 

What's up monkeys?

arajca

Quote from: supplyguy on May 31, 2008, 11:50:34 PM
Thanks,
I also wondered about Class A's as would I wear the U.S. as Sr Mbr officers do on the collar.
They also wore that as AF officers when I was in the AF but that was over 20 years ago and I can barely keep up with the Army.
Kraig
CAP does not wear Class A's. We wear Service Dress. As an NCO, you would wear the CAP cutout's, not the US. Ref CAPM 39-1, Fig. 6-13, pg 117.

arajca

Quote from: supplyguy on May 31, 2008, 11:58:07 PM
I have another question.

If what I know about squadron being promotion authority,what would I be grade wise in eyes of NHQ if I become a CAP TSgt.
Your grade would be TSgt. Unless you promote in the Reserve, you will remain a TSgt for the rest of your CAP career. Currently, there is no NCO promotion authority in CAP, although that is being looked at.

SarDragon

Quote from: arajca on June 01, 2008, 12:36:42 AM
I have another question.

Your grade would be TSgt. Unless you promote in the Reserve, you will remain a TSgt for the rest of your CAP career. Currently, there is no NCO promotion authority in CAP, although that is being looked at.

Actually, you will be listed on NHQ records as an SM, since the NCO grades aren't tracked above Sq level.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MIKE

Doesn't always happen like that despite what the reg says.
Mike Johnston

arajca

Quote from: SarDragon on June 01, 2008, 01:09:18 AM
I have another question.

Actually, you will be listed on NHQ records as an SM, since the NCO grades aren't tracked above Sq level.
I just pulled up a CAP NCO in my wing and her grade in Eservices is MSgt.

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: SarDragon on June 01, 2008, 01:09:18 AM
I have another question.

National tracks NCO grades.  I have a CAP ID Card that says MSGT.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

SarDragon

My bad. New stuff in the last couple of years. Glad to see NHQ is catching up to the 21st century.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RiverAux

Actually, its new in like the last few months, so don't feel too bad.

PHall

Quote from: mikeylikey on June 01, 2008, 12:30:10 AM
I think you would wear the enlisted US cutouts (those new circular ones).  Vanguard does have NCO sleeves and stripes. 

Nope, you wear CAP cutouts as per CAPM 39-1, Figure 6-13.

MSgt Van

You would wear TSgt Chevrons on your sleeve. 39-1 authorizes wear of gray shoulder boards with embroidered rank insignia, but I've never found a source. That's ok since I'm a "on the sleeve" kind of guy.

The new white shirt / AF blue slacks uniform authorizes the wear of AF blue shoulder boards with rank insignia.

I believe the recent national board authorized the wear of chevrons on the sleeve of the white sure, but I haven't seen any change letter on that one yet.

And you NEVER wear the Air Force enlisted collar brass (US in circle).

You also would wear the enlisted flight cap without the silver edge braid.

One final note - bright stripes and tapes on BDUs, not subdued.

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: MSgt Van on June 02, 2008, 04:36:11 PM
You would wear TSgt Chevrons on your sleeve. 39-1 authorizes wear of gray shoulder boards with embroidered rank insignia, but I've never found a source. That's ok since I'm a "on the sleeve" kind of guy.

Vanguard makes them, it just take a few tries for them to get it right.

Ordered: SSgt on grey
Shipment 1: SSgt on blue - Kept, but reordered SSgt on grey.
Shipment 2: TSgt on blue - returned
Shipment 3: TSgt on Grey - returned
Shipment 4: 2d Lt on Grey (I became an officer to become Deputy Commander)

But there is a 50% chance that they would have gotten it right the 4th time.
Also, the SSgt on blue is too big, but I figured if I sent it back I would get SrA on blue  ::)

See the LT bars are the same size, but the embroidered SSgt is twice the size as the metal pin on.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

356cadet

I'm a cadet, but, from what I'm told by other members, you would wear the CAP isignia, since CAP isn't related to the Army. This is what I'm told however. There's a 90% chance I'm wrong.

Eclipse

Quote from: 356cadet on June 06, 2008, 01:52:34 AM
I'm a cadet, but, from what I'm told by other members, you would wear the CAP isignia, since CAP isn't related to the Army. This is what I'm told however. There's a 90% chance I'm wrong.

Make that 100%.

Senior members who are NCO's in another military service who have chosen to display that in lieu of accepting a CAP officer appointment do not wear cadet insignia.

They wear the standard, bright USAF insignia which corresponds to their respective grade, regardless of which service they are in.  (i.e. Navy, Army, Marines, CG wear USAF insignia which may or may not actually have the same number of stripes as their native insignia).

"That Others May Zoom"

afgeo4

To recap:

You wear USAF E-6 Technical Sergeant full color sew on chevrons 4" on blues shirt and BDUs. You wear CAP bright metal insignia on blues shirt collar (both sides).

For the service dress, you wear the enlisted USAF service coat (without epaulets) with the same full color sew on chevrons on sleeves and same CAP cutouts on collar (instead of US).

Please don't wear the gray epaulets with make-shift bright insignia on them. That's not authorized. The insignia is specified to be embroidered in the regs and no such epaulet sleeves exist (at least not yet). Furthermore, the USAF has gone away from authorizing the wear of blue enlisted epaulets sleeves opting for everyone to wear sleeve chevrons (an Air Force tradition).

If you choose to wear the lightweight jacket or all-weather coat, purchase USAF full color metal pin-on insignia to be placed same as USAF enlisted do and then place metal CAP insignia facing outwards in the middle of epaulet to distinguish from regular USAF enlisted.

If you're wearing the woodland Gore-tex parka, purchase a blue gore-tex sleeve with CAP on it, but no rank and place one of those same full color metal pin-on insignias for TSgt in the middle.

Enlisted members do not wear any insignia on BDU cap. Enlisted flight cap is worn with the standard CAP senior member device.

On the flightsuit, don't wear any insignia on shoulders. Your grade will be noted on your leather name patch.

I'm assuming you're going to wear USAF style uniforms since you're within Army (and thus USAF) weight/grooming standards.

Hope this helps!
GEORGE LURYE