Find Ribbon Decals

Started by RiverAux, April 20, 2008, 01:24:05 AM

RiverAux

What does everyone think about putting decals of find ribbons on aircraft and vans? 

CAPR 39-3 21(d) authorizes them for aircraft:
QuoteAlso, if desired,
the Search "Find' Ribbon may be painted on the aircraft in which the find was made.
but I wasn't able to find anyplace that actually authorizes it for vehicles (though I've seen it done; reference anyone?). 

Personally, I think this is kind of silly.  Obviously it is copying the tradition of painting flags on planes representing aerial kills by the pilots that flew them.  However, they don't stay on the plane when a new pilot takes over (I don't think).  Since CAP aircrews and ground teams are often different on each mission it just doesn't seem right to me to have a decal on the aircraft or vehicle when in fact the people in it might not have anything to do with it. 

The other thing is that you can get the find ribbon for non-distress missions as well and while the instances I've known where they've been put on vehicles relate to distress finds, they aren't restricted to it.

So, I would recommend eliminating this provision.   

SJFedor

I'd like to see more regulatory guidance on the issue. I've heard of people putting multiple decals, esp on the cowling, like they're keeping track of kills, etc.

I think 1 (larger then they currenty produce) to put on the tail above the VOR antennas is appropriate when the aircraft was used in making a distress find. Non-distress,  I wouldn't bother.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

isuhawkeye

realistically every aircraft and ground team has had a "find"

Larry Mangum

Quote from: RiverAux on April 20, 2008, 01:24:05 AM
Obviously it is copying the tradition of painting flags on planes representing aerial kills by the pilots that flew them.  However, they don't stay on the plane when a new pilot takes over (I don't think). 

Actually, while part of the 388th TFW at Hill in the late 70's we had an F-4D with two red stars for MIG kills painted on the left intake even though the bird was no longer flown by the pilot who had obtained the kills in Vietnam.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

jb512

Nothing wrong with it.  You're identifying that the vehicle was involved in a find, nothing more.  Just an attempt at recognizing something positive.

If the plane's been used to find 15 people over it's lifetime, throw 15 find decals on that thing.  Must be a lucky plane.

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: jaybird512 on April 21, 2008, 03:39:03 AM
Nothing wrong with it.  You're identifying that the vehicle was involved in a find, nothing more.  Just an attempt at recognizing something positive.

If the plane's been used to find 15 people over it's lifetime, throw 15 find decals on that thing.  Must be a lucky plane.

GRRRREAAAATTT....The mexican general now has an aircraft......

skippytim

This is interesting, kind of cool though. Although if you have a plane with too many finds it will start to look like some hippy plane covered in stickers.  :-\

jb512

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on April 21, 2008, 08:00:48 AM
Quote from: jaybird512 on April 21, 2008, 03:39:03 AM

GRRRREAAAATTT....The mexican general now has an aircraft......

Yes he does.  I'm sure all of those people we've found are appreciative...

isuhawkeye

A find doesn't correlate all that often to distressed people. 

BigMojo

Find decal with device stickers?
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: BigMojo on April 21, 2008, 01:07:06 PM

Not that much of a stretch to add a prop clasp or bronze or silver clasp device decal over the original find ribbon decal. The Air Farce already does it with the AF Outstanding Unit Award sticker applied to aircraft assigned to a unit who earned the AFOUA.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

jb512

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on April 21, 2008, 05:48:14 PM
Quote from: BigMojo on April 21, 2008, 01:07:06 PM

Not that much of a stretch to add a prop clasp or bronze or silver clasp device decal over the original find ribbon decal. The Air Farce already does it with the AF Outstanding Unit Award sticker applied to aircraft assigned to a unit who earned the AFOUA.

There's our answer...