California Wing Earns 2 Saves for PLB Mission

Started by SARPilotNY, April 17, 2008, 05:22:09 PM

SarDragon

He wore a mess dress at a wing conf a few years ago. Don't remember what bling he had on it.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on April 19, 2008, 05:25:53 AM
He wore a mess dress at a wing conf a few years ago. Don't remember what bling he had on it.

You sure it was a Mess Dress and not just a suit? A Mess Dress would require him to spend money....

SarDragon

Most assuredly a mess dress. We were commenting on how his "party shirt" would look (I voted on solid orange), but it was just a standard shirt.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Flying Pig

Not to knock their response, but Im thinking they were anticipating the call ( Which is good) which probably explains their 15 min response.  Its hard to argue with results.  3 LE agencies searching for 2 days, and then CAP arrives and located them.

I used to work for Riverside S.O.   To my knowledge, I didnt think they had DF'ing equipment to begin with.  Maybe they have it now.  I know my Dept doesn't.

Smithsonia

There is a lesson in this story that comes straight from CAP history. Although it's a little difficult to interpret:
1. Lesson 1 -- The quickest to launch gets more of the work. No matter where you're going or what your doing, if you can arrive on scene faster than the other teams, you'll get more missions. The more mission calls you get the more experience you'll get. The more experience you get the mission calls you'll get. It's a virtuious cycle until... (see number 2)
2. Lesson 2 --Critical Response teams that take too much credit, get some one hurt in route, don't honor the ES Plan and barge off on their own, cut out another team, don't share the glory, make themselves out to be bigger they are or did more than they actually did... eventually do NOT get mission calls. Their often culled as cruely as the shooting a lame horse.

I can't tell you where the line falls between items 1 and 2. BUT, there is a line in there somewhere. I've seen teams dismissed for violations (usually multiple violations) of Lessons one and two. I've studied CAP and Rocky Mountain Rescue responses for many years. The lessons are clear and bright... the line bewtween Lesons one and two is blurry as hell. Good Luck! Some days I'm glad I am just an historian.
With regards;
1Lt Ed O'Brien
Black Sheep Sq. Denver
CO/WG Heritage Project Officer
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

SoCalCAPOfficer

I also have worked with this IC.  Like a lot of others, I sometimes used to get annoyed at him getting all the missions.   However, in the last year I have worked with him on more missions and have gotten to know him a little better. 

Yes, he has the type of personality that turns a lot of people off.  However, although he can be abrupt and sometimes frank in his manner, he is an excellent IC.   After working with him a number of times, I have come to the conclusion that he is the way he is, because the CAP Mission always comes first with him.  He puts in more hours for CAP than anyone else I know of.  He would never turn down a request to be IC under any circumstances and the WHAMO's know that, so they call him more.

I for one appologize for my previous thoughts and feelings about this officer.  Emergency Services is not a popularity contest.  He gets the job done.  If some feelings get hurt along the way, we should be big enough to roll with it.   

My Squadrons headquarters was the Mission Base for a missing plane mission a few months ago.   The IC in question came in like a steam roller and got things going quickly.  I spent the first half hour getting chewed out by him, because our IMU2 system did not have the latest updates.   However, at the end of the three days and a successful find of the downed aircraft, I had a whole new perspective on this IC.   He works hard, he expects others to work hard, and he gets the job done in a professional manner.  I cannot find fault in that.   I would be happy to work with him on any mission.   
Daniel L. Hough, Maj, CAP
Commander
Hemet Ryan Sq 59  PCR-CA-458