cover, one biologist was able to identify the aircraft as belonging to
Civil Air Patrol since he is a member of a California squadron.  He knew
than that the PLB would lead rescuer to their location.  Within two
hours, CAP ground assets were able to localize and confirm the
approximate location of the subjects.  About this time it was learned
that the two were attempting to hike back to their car parked at the end
of an old mining road.  Searchers were able to meet up with the two and
assist them back to their vehicle and guild them to the local fire
station where paramedics evaluated their condition. 
Distress find award and 2 saves have been awarded to Frank Tullo, Tom
Charpentier, Shane Terpstra, Bob Keilholtz, Jean Ramirez, Cathy Lavonti and Bob Miller.
Special thanks to Dave Bohem the IC on this mission.
Ron Butts
DO CAWG
CAP member 30 + years SAR Pilot, GTM, Base staff

calguy

This was a great job!  One issue...why does the IC use the same people for all of his missions?  These are the same aircrews and ground teams that get all the missions, finds and saves.  One of the aircrew guys and his aircraft has at least a dozen distress finds and half as many saves.  One of the ground team guys has nearly 100 distress finds and a couple dozen saves.  The others are not too far behind.  Its not fair that they get called for all the missing airplane and PLB missions.  It ruins California Wings moral!

Al Sayre

Quote from: calguy on April 17, 2008, 05:47:47 PM
This was a great job!  One issue...why does the IC use the same people for all of his missions?  These are the same aircrews and ground teams that get all the missions, finds and saves.  One of the aircrew guys and his aircraft has at least a dozen distress finds and half as many saves.  One of the ground team guys has nearly 100 distress finds and a couple dozen saves.  The others are not too far behind.  Its not fair that they get called for all the missing airplane and PLB missions.  It ruins California Wings moral!

It is the IC's job to use the most capable and reliable assets he has available in order to minimize the search time when lives are at stake.  If you were the IC, who would you call first, the guys that have a proven track record or the guys that may be well trained but you know nothing about?

That's the one thing that really sucks about ES.  You train and train and never seem to get a real mission.  When you think about it, hoping for a real mission means hoping someone got hurt.  ES is something we train for and hope we never have to do...

BZ to all involved!
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

RiverAux

I call BS on 100 distress finds.  I can easily imagine 100 non-distress finds in a high ELT activity state, but if there is anybody with that many distress finds he should be on the cover of the Volunteer. 

calguy

I don't think he has been on the cover of the  Volunteer  Magazine but he has been in it several times that I know of.  Last time it was reported in our Wing publication, he IC'd over 100 missions in a year and was out in the field on a whole bunch too.  Just in April he has been awarded 2 distress finds alone!  He been doing this for years, since he was a cadet.  I suspect he gets a dozen or more distress finds a year, multiply that by 20 or 30 years.  He was the IC on the Fossett search for California and ran the fire missions.  Southern California gets about 200 missions a year and he and his henchmen get all the missions.  Just a few aircrews and udf teams seem to get all the missions.   Just today, traffic went out where he found 3 ELTs on one mission along with his gang.  Many of us try to get involved but we never get called.

RiverAux

Man, I'm not flying in CA if one guy is finding a dozen wrecked planes a year.  The odds don't seem good. 

SARPilotNY

There good if he and his team is on the mission...otherwise you may have a long wait.  Bring plenty of food and water...

SARPilotNY

I think a good lesson that everyone could learn from is the speed that the team was en-route (15 minutes)  to the mission as well as the aircraft.  I hear all the time people thinking it is unfair to not use members because they cannot respond in a rapid and professional fashion.  Looks like the sheriff's teams could not do in 12 hours what the CAP team could do in minutes.  Face it, these guys kicked ass!  They should be praised for their fast and professional response, not criticized. 

isuhawkeye

Just a quick thought.

If only a dozen individuals can reliably handle 90% of California's ES operations year after year.  That begs the question.....

How large of an ES force does CAP really need?????

SamFranklin

Quote from: RiverAux on April 17, 2008, 11:42:25 PM
I call BS on 100 distress finds.  I can easily imagine 100 non-distress finds in a high ELT activity state, but if there is anybody with that many distress finds he should be on the cover of the Volunteer. 

My view is entirely different than RiverAux's.

I say, great job, California! Wow, just think two people are alive today thanks to your volunteer service. Stories like this make me proud to be a CAP member. OUTSTANDING!

SARPilotNY

Quote from: isuhawkeye on April 18, 2008, 12:18:36 AM
Just a quick thought.

If only a dozen individuals can reliably handle 90% of California's ES operations year after year.  That begs the question.....

How large of an ES force does CAP really need?????

Not needs...has.  Out of the 350+ missions CAWG has a year, most are in Southern California and most of those are handled by 3 or 4 ICs, 3 or 4 UDF teams and 2 or 3 aircrews.  Its not an issue of hogging missions, it just only a few care to respond to missions.  All these folks have jobs and I am not aware that any of them that get paid time off to do these missions.  They are just dedicated to the missions of Civil Air Patrol.  They all wear huge targets because people say they take all the missions.  Not true, they page for resources and are the last ones on the IC alert list.  Its just almost everyone else turns missions down.  Seems funny, they even have paged for an aircraft or team for a specific airport only to have a team drive 100 miles away to find the ELT in a CAP aircraft!  Opps?

isuhawkeye

THats odd.  I didn't add the frown face. 

Does it add itself Automatically

???  LOL I guess it does. 

You learn something new every day

SarDragon

Quote from: calguy on April 17, 2008, 05:47:47 PM

Well, you have me at a disadvantage, since you know who I am, but you have apparently ignored a polite PM to identify yourself.

As I understand the CAWG system, as I have participated in it for the last six years, a page goes out, and the members interested in participating will call the IC to check in.  None of the ICs I have worked with in SoCal call anyone, they get calls from members who want to participate. I have worked with four of the folks on that list, and they are all very good at what they do.

As for the 100 distress finds, he's probably close if he isn't there already. That averages out to about five a year for as long as he's been doing ES. Not unrealistic, given the number of missions we have here in CA each year.

As for the number of aircrews, that will probably increase over the next few months, but the new ones will all be from the same unit, which is getting an aircraft in the next month or so.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SARPilotNY

I checked with an olde time historian for CAWG and he recalls when this guy and another were tied with 25 distress finds in the early eighties/late seventies.   This was before there were distress/non distress finds.  He confirms that the numbers look right.  He also noted that this guy had a promotion forced upon him during the Fossett search only to turn it down.  Seems like somebody at NHQ thought it looked bad that a Captain was running the mission in CAWG whereas a  Bird Colonel was running the mission in NVWG.
It was noted that he doesn't even wear his ribbons or wings on his dress uniform.  Odd?  I guess he just wants to get the job done but gets attacked for taking all the missions.

RiverAux

Okay, I'll withdraw my flag based on the fact checking above... now we need him on the cover of the Volunteer.

SamFranklin

Quote from: RiverAux on April 18, 2008, 10:22:36 PM
Okay, I'll withdraw my flag based on the fact checking above... now we need him on the cover of the Volunteer.

You forgot to say, "I apologize for my earlier comment. I was out of line."

RiverAux

mikeylikey

Seems to me like this "miracle worker" probably gets the majority of the missions because he gets the majority of the missions.  In other words, everyone knows he is readily available, and will take the mission, so he gets the call.  As far as him wearing decorations or a uniform at all, that says nothing about his service to CAP.  That is a mute point.  You could say, he disregards everything but flying, the way he doesn't care about uniforms or promotions?!?
What's up monkeys?

SarDragon

Quote from: mikeylikey on April 19, 2008, 12:45:45 AM
Seems to me like this "miracle worker" probably gets the majority of the missions because he gets the majority of the missions.  In other words, everyone knows he is readily available, and will take the mission, so he gets the call.  As far as him wearing decorations or a uniform at all, that says nothing about his service to CAP.  That is a mute point.  You could say, he disregards everything but flying, the way he doesn't care about uniforms or promotions?!?

The guy's not even a pilot. If he's not an IC on a mission, he's doing GT or UDF, or occasionally Observer. He has his GRW, and a Master rating in Ops. As for uniforms, he wears what he thinks appropriate, and he wears it well. Some of us don't particularly care about promoting past a certain point.

On "getting the call", please reread my post above. The IC "gets the call" from the Wing Mission Alerting Officer, a rotating duty within the wing . He calls ICs until one will take the mission. We have four or five in SoCal who take most of the missions.

The IC puts out a page, and whoever gets a page and wants to participate, calls in to the IC.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SARPilotNY on April 18, 2008, 04:06:48 PMIt was noted that he doesn't even wear his ribbons or wings on his dress uniform.

I don't even think he even owns an Air Force style uniform.
The last time I saw him in an Air Force style blue uniform was when we were both cadets!