Main Menu

Health Services Officer

Started by CadetProgramGuy, April 15, 2008, 05:05:52 AM

CadetProgramGuy

Can someone (or everyone) please expand for me on what the HSO does for the Wing, and Region?

Thanks

SAR-EMT1

On paper they advise the Commanders in matters to promote a "healthy lifestyle " among the membership through outreach.

In reality? Due to the curret nature of the legal restrictions... the answer is, Absolutely nothing. Its a paper tiger, although there is currently a setup in the works to get them involved in promoting the DDR program to cadets along with the Chaplains and safety officers and CD types.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

mfantroy

When I joined my squadron, There was talk about me becoming the HSO since we currently don't have one, and I am and EMT. It is true that we can't do anything more then basic first aid, one of the task is to ensure that all members have First Aid/CPR training and that it is kept current. Other then that they are there to advise the commander regarding promoting a heathlier Squad.

chiles

I'm MDWG's Nurse Officer. To say I do nothing would be false. Here are a few of things I do:

1. Train people in Bloodborne Pathogens,
2. Serve on TWE staff as the Health Supervisor
3. Ensure that Maryland Health Code is followed at all activities (especially those with cadets lasting 5 consecutive days)
4. Maintain the medical supply box at Wing for activities
5. Act as a counselor to cadets (and seniors) interested in the medical field
6. Arrange "shadow days" for cadets who want to follow a nurse, doctor, etc. for a day
7. Brief staff at all levels on the effects of stress on both the pediatric and adult mind
8. Set up 1st Aid and CPR training
9. Advise the commander on health issues and safety issues
10. Dispel medical myths
11. Train cadet and senior leaders on health mitigation techniques using a course I put together called "Medical Mitigation for the Leader"
12. Instruct RST
13. Serve as the Nurse Officer at various wing and group events
14. Maintain a database I wrote that matches ground team members' expiration date for medical training to an instructor in their area for retraining (database is built and I've been slowly populating it)
15. Advise other MO/NO/HSO's on waivers for the cadet PT program
16. I'm also in the progress of acquiring CPR mannequins and their accouterments for the Wing

This isn't an exhaustive list, but my point is that the position is a paper tiger if the person in it wants it to be. I think that's a waste of talents. I also think that the belief that we're only good for bandaging people up is insulting. Medical prevention and mitigation roll nicely in the safety program.
Maj Christopher Hiles, MS, RN BSN, CAP
Commander
Ft McHenry Composite Squadron
Health Services Officer
Maryland Wing
Mitchell: 43417
Wilson: 2878

chiles

Quote from: mmcwilliams on April 17, 2008, 12:52:25 PM
When I joined my squadron, There was talk about me becoming the HSO since we currently don't have one, and I am and EMT. It is true that we can't do anything more then basic first aid, one of the task is to ensure that all members have First Aid/CPR training and that it is kept current. Other then that they are there to advise the commander regarding promoting a heathlier Squad.

The regulations state that we can't do routine care but can provide emergency medical care to the level of our certification. In Maryland, and I've talked to many a lawyer about it, if an EMT responds to an emergency and purposefully does not provide care to their level of ability, this constitutes abandonment or gross medical neglect on the part of the EMT (or nurse, doctor, etc.). CAP regulations are written the way they are because each state has a different standard and different laws. Bringing out a standard of care would make CAP culpable for negative outcomes resultant from the standard, which is the very thing they are try to avoid. So, can we do routine health care? No. Can we do emergency care? Yes. Is it restricted to the level of 1st Aid? That depends on your level of capability and the state laws governing your practice.
Maj Christopher Hiles, MS, RN BSN, CAP
Commander
Ft McHenry Composite Squadron
Health Services Officer
Maryland Wing
Mitchell: 43417
Wilson: 2878

DrDave

I echo Capt. Hiles' excellent post above.  As the Missouri Wing Medical Officer, let me add a few more:

1. During encampments, or other extended Wing activities, work closely with the Safety Officer to determine the day's environmental effect on cadets (heat index, wind chill, etc.)

2. Provide a mentor for HSO's at group level and throughout the Wing.

3. Assist Wing staff in determining the qualifications of a member up for promotion as a health professional.

4. Oversee the Wing's senior member physical fitness program (for those who participate in this voluntary program) utilizing the President's Challenge.

5. Determining the merit of first aid courses to see if they qualify for the ground team member ES SQTR requirement

6. Interact with the Red Cross to maintain our critical blood and tissue flight program.

7. Assist in identifying unknown pills found during encampment or other extended Wing activities. 

8. Assist Wing staff in any needed Wing supplements to new or updated HSO/Med regulations or forms.

See also my comments below from over a year ago, concerning a similar thread.

Dr. Dave

-----------------

Operations / Emergency Services & Operations / Re: First Aid Responder  on: February 26, 2007, 04:08:50 PM 

Interesting topic.  Glad to see so many health service officers, medical officers, and nurse officers leading this discussion.  (That was sarcasm.)

I'm a physician and I joined CAP not to further my trade in the healing arts, but to serve my community and country.  To put my enthusiasm, selflessness, and considerable personal and financial energy to work for good causes.

I looked over CAP for a full month before joining.  Looked the web site up and down, checked out local units, googled multiple CAP topics, even bought and read "Aerospace: The Journey of Flight" before joining (yep, Yeager award was my first accomplishment).  Looking over what CAP did impressed me.  I wanted to join to help out.  And I liked the cadet programs where I felt I could be a good role model and mentor to cadets while also imparting some good health advice that might stick.

Did I join to be a "trauma-rama" hotshot at crash sites?  No.  Am I here for the bling and prestige (you know we go right to Captain as a licensed physician, then Major after only a year ...)?  Nope, already have that as a doctor.  Am I here for the big bucks?  Yeah, right.

I'm here as a volunteer to help any way I can.  That's probably the main reason any health professional joins CAP.  Yes, we know we can't practice medicine (the regs are pretty clear on that), but there are so many other reasons for being a part of this organization.  And many more things medical officers – and health services officers – can do for your squadron and members.

Many topics have already been discussed, where HSO's are an asset to CAP.  Health and Safety briefings being a very important one.  I've done them on color-blindness, hypoxia, smoking, meningitis vaccine (recommended for our young adults), lightning strike injuries, blood borne pathogens, etc.  Sure they can be done by others.  I hope I bring more experience and insight to them rather than a layperson doing a canned PowerPoint presentation. 

And our role as advisors is not an insignificant one.  Probably one of the most important.  Extreme environment advise, can Johnny do PFT with that ankle injury, reviewing all medical forms and informing the squadron commander about what possible problems may lay ahead during the upcoming activity or weekend event, drug interactions, which meds will make Johnny dehydrate faster out on the parade ground, who's blood sugar needs to maintained, illicit drug information, etc.  HSO interaction with cadets and participation in the cadet program is probably where HSO types can do the most good in CAP.  And as many of you know, we instituted a volunteer senior member physical fitness program in the Missouri Wing last year ("GetMOCAPfit").

I'm a Group Commander.  I'm a Wing R&R Officer, Assistant Wing Med Officer, and Assistant Wing PAO.  Was awarded last year's Wing PAO of the Year for Missouri.  I've got specialty ratings in six specialties, none of which are health services.  Yes, I know that none of these duties are as a medical officer (well, the Asst. Wing MO is, of course) – but what if I hadn't joined?  Medical types bring much enthusiasm in with them, they truly want to reach out and help others.  My continuing accomplishments are a direct outcropping of this phenomenon.  We have such a retention problem in this organization already, why are we trying to make it worse?

Are medical officers REALLY worthless in CAP?  Shouldn't we be welcoming any one who wants to participate to join CAP?

Is the negative tone of this discussion thread part of the solution or part of the problem?

Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."