Alternate form of signaling

Started by JesusFreak, April 11, 2008, 12:23:07 AM

JesusFreak

Are we allowed to use any other form of signaling, like smoke bombs, maybe even smoke grenades? Does CAP regulations allow cadets to have them?
C/SMSGT Ruben A. Cruz-Colon
NCS(Nellis Composite Squadron) NV-069

lordmonar

As a "signaling" device smoke is not very affective.

As a attention attraction device smoke can be very affective.

As for if cadets (or anyone for that matter) can have them...that would be up to your paticular leader.

And that would depend on the type, size and need for them.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

JesusFreak

Quote from: lordmonar on April 11, 2008, 12:42:06 AM

As for if cadets (or anyone for that matter) can have them...that would be up to your paticular leader.

Ok, thank you.
C/SMSGT Ruben A. Cruz-Colon
NCS(Nellis Composite Squadron) NV-069

Brad

Let's see here....well the NBB video shows cadets throwing signaling smoke for landing zones.

Others I can think of:

signal mirrors, both dedicated and improvised (AOL CDs, anyone?)

tarp signals (that yellow and blue tarp you fold into different standardized shapes to indicated things)

body signals

ground marking signals

flashing lights (this includes morse, red/green/white signal lamps, and simple "Hey! Here I am!")

fires

flare guns

So you see? There's plenty if you think about it. In a survival situation, I don't know about you but regs would probably take a backseat to my well-being, considering how safety being #1 is stressed so much anyways.

Heh, I actually rembeber that stuff from Scanner training....wow!

;D

Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

JayT

Quote from: Brad on April 11, 2008, 02:03:41 AM
Let's see here....well the NBB video shows cadets throwing signaling smoke for landing zones.

Others I can think of:

signal mirrors, both dedicated and improvised (AOL CDs, anyone?)

tarp signals (that yellow and blue tarp you fold into different standardized shapes to indicated things)

body signals

ground marking signals

flashing lights (this includes morse, red/green/white signal lamps, and simple "Hey! Here I am!")

fires

flare guns

So you see? There's plenty if you think about it. In a survival situation, I don't know about you but regs would probably take a backseat to my well-being, considering how safety being #1 is stressed so much anyways.

Heh, I actually rembeber that stuff from Scanner training....wow!

;D

Yeah, but smoke bombs are so much cooler.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

♠SARKID♠

Indeed they are.  I know a flea market where you can get them for about 5 cents each.

c/A1C Johnson

Quote from: lordmonar on April 11, 2008, 12:42:06 AM

yes i dont think he so much was talking about signalling as much as like grabbing there attention though there are many ways to do this smoke bomb is a possiblility as long as its in regs and your es leader gives you permission

c/A1C Johnson

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on April 12, 2008, 03:40:20 AM
Indeed they are.  I know a flea market where you can get them for about 5 cents each.

really 5 cents awesome do you think they sale them at a swap meet

c/A1C Johnson

flare guns are cool can you use those they are prob. more effective than smoke especially at night are they in regs

davidsinn

I can't name a single cadet I would trust with a flare gun. Including our 18 year old C/CC. I can only name 4 seniors I would trust with one and that includes me.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

mikeylikey

Quote from: davidsinn on April 15, 2008, 01:51:28 AM
I can only name 4 seniors I would trust with one and that includes me.

hahahhaha
What's up monkeys?

c/A1C Johnson

I can't name a single cadet I would trust with a flare gun. Including our 18 year old C/CC. I can only name 4 seniors I would trust with one and that includes me.

you could take a training or it could be in your GMT rating or something

John Bryan

David,

Am I one of the four ????? :angel: >:D

John

davidsinn

I have helped train a cadet in the use of various calibers of weapons off CAP time. I still wouldn't trust her with a flare gun. I trust her with a .357 or a .308 on the range but not a flare gun on a mission.

Col. Bryan,
Unfortunately you are not because I have not seen you handle a weapon yet. ;-) Three of them are in my unit (CC, CD/S{me} and another Lt.) and the forth commands Morgan County. Guess who that cadet I've helped train is?  >:D ;D I can name some Capts. and Light Col. I would not trust with squirt gun.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: c/A1C Johnson on April 15, 2008, 01:15:34 AM
Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on April 12, 2008, 03:40:20 AM

really 5 cents awesome do you think they sale them at a swap meet

Sale them?  Probably not.  Sell them?  Probably.

Eclipse

At high-probability altitude over non-urban areas (i.e. 500 ft AGL), there is a good chance that a flare could hit one of our airplanes.

If flare guns do not fall under the general prohibition on firearms, they should.

"That Others May Zoom"

sarmed1

I dont see why a flare gun (thinking olin marine flare type or handheld launcher) should fall under the prohibition becasue its not a firearm by definition because it doesnt fire a "projectile".  (of course technically speaking the civilian 37mm M-203 look-a-like isnt eaither since its only used for "signalling"...smoke, flare or marking rounds) what an intersting idea that would be to have (as they make a conversion with pistol grip and shoulder stock)

One thing that a lot of people forget is the burn time on flare launchers.....most of the marine type available are designed for over water use....but due to the burn time could cause major problems in the woods..ie it may still be burining when it comes back to earth, not a problem in the water, but dry brush and trees...not so good)

admitedly I carry 6 differant types... strobe, siganl panel, siganl mirror, pen flare launcher, day/night signal and red smoke grenade.
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

JayT

Quote from: c/A1C Johnson on April 15, 2008, 02:41:10 AM

you could take a training or it could be in your GMT rating or something

Airman Johnson

If you can't spell 'GTM' correctly, I don't know about handing you a flare gun, with any amount of training.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

SSgt Rudin

I'll probably regret this but... I carry a "Pocket Rocket" with 6 flares in my 24hr pack as well as a MK1 marine(as in boating not USMC) smoke signal. The smoke signal does not produce a flame or require one to be ignited, emits 3 minutes of ORANGE smoke and floats. Not exactly something I would put in the same classification as a "smoke bomb" considering they run $30-$50 each, but it will probably make it into my paitball bag after it expires.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

isuhawkeye

Just an FYI.  The aero medical transport helos in this area will not land if smoke is used to mark the LZ.  They had to many bad experiences